4 essential things to be aware of - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of this talk about off gassing reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles......
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of this talk about off gassing reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles......
Now, THAT’s Funny! I don’t care who you are!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Would the gas dissipate in five weeks or even more with the trailer closed up? I think you need open windows and fan running; maybe some heat, particularly over winter.
My thoughts exactly.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I picked up my 21 about 2 weeks after completion. We did not notice any smell and I do know the smell. My first trailer I bought in 2004 was horrible. It would cause your eyes to burn and water. As far as the plates go, I had all the paper work with me and thought that there would be no problem on the trip home and there was not. I took almost a month to get home and was unable to reserve an VIN inspection for more than a month afterwards (the Austin police only do it one day a month). They took less than 5 minutes. It took longer at the county tax office to get the plates (and that did not include the time waiting for the clerk to call my number).
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 19'
I had the “smell” which is kind of sweet odor & still have it tho less. Plus when I camp, the wet dog smell takes it away. It does lessen over time. From a previous post, opened all cabinets & windows. It helped.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
1) DO NOT PLAN TO PICK UP YOUR CAMPER AND BEGIN CAMPING IN IT IMMEDIATELY!

2) they informed us one window was out of stock and told us we could not pick the trailer up for another 6 weeks!!

......not just the inconvenience but also the very rude treatment received......

3) we had two sizeable holes bashed in the shell which needed expert repair.

4) obtaining title and plates may be a problem.

we've now spent approx 4 months living in the camper on various extended trips. the only minor snafu so far is a bad led diode in the light over the table. oh, and every forward facing painted surface has been eroded by road debris and is already rusting (front metal plate of steps, bumper etc). not sure what can be done about that.
1) With our 19 we picked it up and went camping. Sure there was a new trailer smell to it, but nothing that bothered us. I picked up my 5.0TA in the winter and never went camping but worked on it right away for a few weeks and was not bothered by smells. Different folks have differing sensitivities to these things though.

2) I am not clear on this one, did Escape let you know well before leaving, or did you find out about the window thing once you got there? These things happen, and they certainly should have given a heads up so you could reschedule the pickup. At least you found a solution.

I do have to say, I have never seen a bit of rudeness from anyone at Escape. Maybe someone was having a bad day, it happens. I have had Reace give me hell for a few things that caused him grief, but I can take it.

3) Wow, you must have picked up some huge stones to make holes in your shell. I pulled my 19 for over 6 years with no storage box (there was none available in 2009) and no protection, including lots of travel on gravel roads, and only had minor chips. With my 5.0TA I added some 3M Protectant in the area that takes the hit from road rash, and that has protected the gelcoat quite nice. Something else to consider.

4) Can't help there, just glad that in Alberta you take in the bill of sale and in minutes get a permanent plate for the entire time you own the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
As for front end damage, my wife and I returning from the Boler rally had a run in with a road gator (AKA carcass from a tire retread). I was very glad to have the front storage box that day.
Ouch, Steve! That was quite the hit your storage box took. Is it easily reparable?
Quote:
"Candygram for Mongo?"

That movie was a classic, one of the few I have repeated watching, I think 3 times now, and would watch it again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
We picked up our trailer and did some camping immediately. I have similar concerns about out gassing. My answer was to keep a window open and run the maxxfan frequently when we were in the trailer. We found it worked quite well for us. IMO, out gassing lasts a long time so keeping air flowing in the trailer for us is important.

We have made a lot of good memories in our trailer and I hope you do as well.
We also expected the off-gassing so I wasn't surprised. I did keep all the windows open and all the fans running for that first week while it improved considerable. I did keep the fan on in the ceiling and the windows cracked even after I couldn't smell it any longer. I am glad you brought this up as I asked the owner who showed me the Escape 19 and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about! He said there wasn't a problem. Well it isn't a big problem, even though I am really sensitive and it didn't make me gag like some of the other trailers I've climbed in when they were new.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
This was good!!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #29

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ouch, Steve! That was quite the hit your storage box took. Is it easily reparable?

You'll have to ask the body man who did the repair. Actually got a recommendation about a body shop that does Corvettes and Hot Rods and they are literally down the block and across the street from where I store the trailer. We removed the box and he took that to the shop.

He explained the process as opening up the crack and filling slowly with epoxy and fiberglass filler, placing a patch inside at the back of the crack and then filling it out completely, filing it down down. A complete respray of the front with clear coat later and you would have a tough time knowing it was ever damaged.

You can't see it in the photo but the crack went all the way back to the wood saddle the box rides on and a little beyond. His statement was that the repair was easy compared to some of the Vette works hes had to do, just time consuming in waiting for the epoxy resin to dry to get the next layer in. I think this was simply a side job for hm.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
We picked our new 19 up about a month ago. We did not get a front storage box. ETI snapped 2 white pads on the 2 lower front corners of the trailer, presumably to protect it from rocks. During our journey home we drove many miles on dirt roads and didn't get a nick, although the front was plastered with bugs by the time we got home. The pads seem to work well, I thought they were standard if you don't get the box.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There was no storage box in 2008, when I got my trailer. The vinyl rock guards were a $75 option.
Pic is a "before" pic. Plan was to wash and wax and shoot "after" pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Before.jpg  
Old 10-13-2018, 04:21 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
You'll have to ask the body man who did the repair. Actually got a recommendation about a body shop that does Corvettes and Hot Rods and they are literally down the block and across the street from where I store the trailer. We removed the box and he took that to the shop.

He explained the process as opening up the crack and filling slowly with epoxy and fiberglass filler, placing a patch inside at the back of the crack and then filling it out completely, filing it down down. A complete respray of the front with clear coat later and you would have a tough time knowing it was ever damaged.

You can't see it in the photo but the crack went all the way back to the wood saddle the box rides on and a little beyond. His statement was that the repair was easy compared to some of the Vette works hes had to do, just time consuming in waiting for the epoxy resin to dry to get the next layer in. I think this was simply a side job for hm.
Good to hear it was painless for you, Steve. Other than the cost!

If you know glass work, it was probably not too hard.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I'm so sorry your first experiences with your Escape didn't go that well for you 'minnranger'. When we took delivery of our 19' in 2014, there was a little smell but it didn't last very long (maybe we were too excited to notice). Just picked up our 21' the first part of September and did notice a bit of 'off-gassing'; however, keeping the windows open and the fan running helped to dissipate the smell in a few days. You did bring up a good point for those that are sensitive to smells in that they should be aware of the possibility that they may need to keep things opened up for a while.

Insofar as making plans for after-pick-up travel, it is good for people to be aware that there may be 'glitches' and to plan accordingly. We planned for two nights at the Lynden KOA just to check everything out and see if a return trip to ETI would be necessary. Didn't make reservations beyond that; however, when we were comfortable that things were going okay with the trailer, we made reservations for campgrounds along the way home. (Two of our favorite couldn't accommodate us so we had to find others ... which is something for those picking up trailers at the height of tourist season might think about.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We camped in our 19 immediately after pickup - for almost a month as we slowly made our way back to Texas. No "offgassing" except for a bit of that "new" smell. Didn't bother us in the slightest.

I've never once seen Escape be rude. Not to say that it can't happen.

Yes, the storage box has many benefits, which is why we have it. Its our most used option by far.

The complexity and bureaucracy in getting your trailer registered in Texas is well documented on the forum, with many threads about it. The only consistency in Texas when it comes to registering an imported trailer is that its inconsistent.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
So we had a similar situation with the windows as the OP. I called a week before our pick up to verify everything was still good for that date as I had to book a flight for Susan to join me. ETI said yes, however four days prior and just as I was going to head out I got a call to say they installed half of our windows, however the others were back ordered. Was asked if we could "hang out" for four days while the new ones arrived (maybe). These were single-pane windows as we had in our 17B and were happy with them and ordered them originally when we still had our Highlander so saving 100 lbs. vs. dual pane was a benefit. Since we had traded to a Yukon I figured we could go with the dual pane and was willing to pay the extra cost just to get the trailer on time. They wanted to charge me to "re & re" the installed window.... and they did!

Things change; am sure most people buying a trailer prior to 2015 would have a different experience from those today and the front-end folks usually reflect the culture of ownership.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
oh, and every forward facing painted surface has been eroded by road debris and is already rusting (front metal plate of steps, bumper etc). not sure what can be done about that.

I frequently spray black paint on the metal parts. Easy to do. I hate the look of rust. Use a piece of cardboard, or something similar, to prevent over spray.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
I frequently spray black paint on the metal parts. Easy to do. I hate the look of rust. Use a piece of cardboard, or something similar, to prevent over spray.
Me too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
If you want to prevent rust instead of just cover it up, I recommend POR 15. With a brush it's more accurate and there's no overspray. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181014-000551_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	34548
Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my experriences with POR directly over rust have been pretty mediochre. it slows it down for a year or so then it bubbles on through.

i would remove as much of the rust as practical with a small angle grinder and a rust stripper disk, THEN paint it with a rust primer and black finish paint.
Attached Thumbnails
pflap-disc-12036_2[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my experriences with POR directly over rust have been pretty mediochre. it slows it down for a year or so then it bubbles on through.

i would remove as much of the rust as practical with a small angle grinder and a rust stripper disk, THEN paint it with a rust primer and black finish paint.
That's interesting John. You'd think I'd have worse results with it here in Texas than you do in California, considering how much more rain we get, and the higher humidity. But I've had great results with POR 15. Myself and a friend painted a semi-rusty boat trailer with it about 8 years ago. All we did was wire brush it before painting. 8 year later and it still looks great.

Tags
completion, damage, title and plates, toxic fumes