4x4 or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Question 4x4 or not?

I've seen a few posts asking what truck people are towing the 5.0 with. How many of you have 4x4? Do you think it is necessary? Anyone worry about getting stuck in sand, wet grass, etc. with 2w drive?
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Being able to switch into 4 x 4 has come in handy sometimes to back the trailer up into a raised gravel camp site. As you say wet grass can be a challenge sometimes as well.

Some trucks offer a locking rear end/differential at a much reduced rate and also keeps the weight down. The locking rear end changes a standard vehicle from a one wheel drive to a true 2 wheel drive at the flip of a switch. Locking the rear end/differential should only be done at low speed, on loose ground and preferably driving straight. It should also not be locked if you are drive on a severe side slope as you loose lateral stability when both rear wheels spin.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Use of our 4x4 mode is very infrequent. But has come in handy several times for us. Have helped n pulled several people out of sticky situations. It’s really comes down do u want pay the extra money for a 4x 4. For me won’t leave home without it as we use it to explore the scenic mountain drives wherever we go as most 2 wheel drive would not make to the high mountain meadows where one see more wildlife.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We had to back our trailer up a steep drive in a snow storm this February. We wouldn’t have made it without the 4 wheel drive.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
I've seen a few posts asking what truck people are towing the 5.0 with. How many of you have 4x4? Do you think it is necessary? Anyone worry about getting stuck in sand, wet grass, etc. with 2w drive?
Thanks.
I think your type of usage of the tow vehicle needs to be considered. I don't believe 2 wheel drive is for everyone, but by you asking the question it might be right for you, it is for us.

We have a 2 wheel drive, we are not taking our trailer into the outback but we also are not always on main roads or ideal sites. We also use the vehicle in snowy weather (both towing and not towing).

TIRE, TIRES, TIRES!!
When I hear 4x4 owners speak of how they have needed the 4 wheel drive in various driving situations I think that there is a likely chance different tires would make a big difference.

We live in Minnesota and drive a 2 wheel drive F150, I do not carry extra weight in the box (even removed my 65 lb Andersen Ultimate this year). We do have the "locking rear axle" AND we run all weather - severe service tires. These tires carry the severe service symbol, but are designed to run year round. This was the 3rd winter running these tires and we have never been in need of anything more. I have also towed our trailer in winter road conditions with out issue.

I do carry a set of TracGrabber's for those instances I might need help getting those few feet that many speak of, but they are still unused.

I would buy 2 wheel drive again, but I would not buy one without the locking rear axle (I do use it regularly in poor traction situations) and I would switch tires to the all weather severe service tires (these are not ALL SEASON TIRES, they carry the Severe Service Symbol, same as winter tires but are made for year round use).

BENEFITS OF USING TRAC-GRABBER TIRE TRACTION STRAPS
Peace of mind
Easy to install
Ability to rescue yourself without having to put yourself at the mercy of a stranger.
Ability to rescue yourself without having to wait for a towing service and then pay a towing fee.
Safe to use
Affordable
It only takes one person to put them on, drive out, take them off
Once installed, Trac-Grabber straps keep providing the necessary traction to get you to stable terrain.
Attached Thumbnails
TracGrabber-Closeup.png   TracGrabber-Stuck-Snow.jpeg  
Old 07-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Sharon, this thread might be of interest to you. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ht=wheel+drive
-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 17A
We use our 4WD a lot; sometimes to get to a dispersed site, but mostly to play on the back roads.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
We use our 4WD a lot; sometimes to get to a dispersed site, but mostly to play on the back roads.
I got stuck on a very slightly sloped but wet boat ramp 20+ years ago trying to pull out a tiny jon boat with my 2WD truck. Sold it the next week and bought a 4x4 and never looked back.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’m always in the minority. I have 1998 Chevy 2500 and a 2021 Ford Ranger. Both are 2WD. I lived from 1987 - 2012 in Alaska. I bought the Chevy new in Anchorage. The 3/4 ton is limited slip rear and the Ranger is electronically locking rear. I too use a good traction tire and would say tires are crucial. In Alaska, I did put weight in the back end to get up icy hills. In Kansas, I do not. We also had a Subaru in Alaska, and it was easier to drive, but the Chevy could still go places it couldn’t. In Kansas we have a Corolla. We can still go when it’s snowy, but we don’t have the mountains we had in Alaska. Most folks seem to want 4WD. Some even say it’s essential. I’ve never needed it. If you need it - get it; if not don’t. I think you probably know your intended uses and driving comfort best.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
In 20 years of 2WD camping I have not run into a situation where I was stuck without 4WD. We do mostly national and state parks that are mostly paved, but have gone into unpaved areas as well - tend to avoid those in rainy conditions. We live in Texas so having 4WD for winter snow driving is not a factor for us. I see a ton of 4WD trucks in Austin, suspect that most of them have never been offroad or even had the 4WD turned on.

A lot depends on where and when you plan to camp, and also weather/road conditions where you live.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another option is RWD but with positraction or some other name that locks both rear wheels if needed........
Old 07-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Thanks everyone. I currently have an F250 with 4w but am considering downsizing to a F150 and wondered if I should stay with 4w. As always, your experience is invaluable.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #13
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Just a note to all those 4x4 owners.

Dollars to donuts, there's something in the owners manual suggesting you use your 4x4 about once a month or so for about a minute on a straight stretch of roadway to make sure all the bits and bobs are lubricated and the electronic stuff is working properly.

Amazing what one finds out in the owners manual when waiting for your spouse with nothing else to read.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, plus the additional cost of replacing differential fluid when needed......
Old 07-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have 2WD with locking differential. I have only used it twice, once to back up a hill on loose gravel to hitch, and another time to climb a small slope after lots of rain, though that time it probably wasn’t necessary. I do not go off paved or solidly packed dirt roads, and I do not wish to pay higher insurance rate and greater fuel costs for additional peace of mind 4WD provides, when I have never truly needed it. But I use the truck mostly for towing and sightseeing when we are on an RV trip. And it doesn’t dNow in Florida:
Old 07-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 21C
I would have to say it just depends on where you plan to go. I would not go without 4WD but then again I often look for difficult places.

This was from many years ago. The picture is from CO and when we arrived to camp it was a dry and beautiful day. Two days later this is what we woke up to!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E5nLxHCnEbN1Q6LH6
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The owners manual for my Tacoma says to exercise the 4WD monthly but I've been reluctant to do it on dry pavement. Is my concern misplaced? Is straight road okay?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Once I was caught in a snowstorm that left 7 inches of snow in Santa Fe and 13 inches at the higher altitude state park where I was camped. Without 4WD I would have had problems getting around. The 4WD Tacoma handles great in snow btw.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
I live in Texas but have always had a 4WD truck although rarely used. But I "justify" it by the fact that it doesn't cost much to own. It cost a little more to buy and maintain, but you get most of it back on trade. So the cost to have it on the few times I need it is fairly low.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have 2WD with locking differential. I have only used it twice, once to back up a hill on loose gravel to hitch, and another time to climb a small slope after lots of rain, though that time it probably wasn’t necessary. I do not go off paved or solidly packed dirt roads, and I do not wish to pay higher insurance rate and greater fuel costs for additional peace of mind 4WD provides, when I have never truly needed it. But I use the truck mostly for towing and sightseeing when we are on an RV trip. And it doesn’t dNow in Florida:
Hi: C&G in FL... I feel somewhat sheepish but in our case the used vehicle dealers lots were hard packed with 4X4's but narry a 2X4 in sight. I'm just glad the 5.0TA was capable of handling the difference. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040872.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, tow, truck