5.0 Manual Crank for the Hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
5.0 Manual Crank for the Hitch?

Anyone have a link to the manual crank to raise and lower my 5th wheel hitch on the 2015 I bought used? I assumed it was the same wrench as my rear stabilizer jacks but found out today it doesn’t work.

I found one on Amazon but some folks said it didn’t fit their 5th wheel so want to be sure I buy the right one.

Also has anyone figured out how to this with a cordless drill attachment?
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
21 layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
Anyone have a link to the manual crank to raise and lower my 5th wheel hitch on the 2015 I bought used? I assumed it was the same wrench as my rear stabilizer jacks but found out today it doesn’t work.

I found one on Amazon but some folks said it didn’t fit their 5th wheel so want to be sure I buy the right one.

We have the 2019 E21C w electric jack, but carry a set of socket wrenches for things like this. I don't know what size socket wd fit, but I bet it is a common metric socket and should be accessible from under that rubber cover on the electric jack head. stabilizer jack handle is a bent rod w socket welded on one end..mine lives under the bed in front, accessible from the driver side front hatch.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:

The 'stabilizer wrench' is not similar, that would be too logical.
There is a tool about 9 inches long. At one end, there is cylinder with notch, at the other end is 6 sided so a drill or a socket wrench can be used.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

Chris R is correct as to the description of the business end of 5.0TA manual crank.
ETI put mine in the deep storage compartment in front of the entry door. Try looking there.
Did you contact the seller to ask where he/she/they kept it stored?

The worst case scenario is to contact the parts department at ETI and purchase one. Because of international postage and considerations, it may cost 2 or 3 times its actual cost, but it still won’t be an arm and a leg.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Get a handle on it!!!

Quote:

Hi: drhoda... This tool is good to have... but not to use. Once, I loaded our 5.0 by hand, as I thought the battery was dead. It seemed to take forever to raise the trailer to connect the truck. Back and forth from side to side to raise it 1/8th" up. Gave me enough time to figure out that stuffing the power cord in... in haste, had flipped off the cutoff switch located under the dinette bench. Never did that again. WHEW!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone have a pic of this tool. I didn't get one either. I mistaking thought the stabilizer wrench would work. I guess I should acquire the right tool....

On edit, I found this on Amazon... but as Darryl said, I don't know if it will fit...
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #7

The Amazon tool says it is a Lippert brand with 1/2 ID and 3/4 in OD.

If someone can verify whether those measurements are the same as the ETI supplied one that would be great!
Old 05-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Here’s mine from a 2014. The bolt in it is a 1/2”, the handle is 15”X7” then the handle grip….So maybe find some thicker 1/2” ID pipe and cut a notch in it….and the OD of the end is 3/4”
Attached Thumbnails
A5D0C5AF-C1DA-4B00-97DD-C0F57022EFBF.jpg   3DB6B48C-AD1C-48A3-86C8-31FE169E75D8.jpg   7FF00AC1-D721-4666-96A6-5C1E54C7AF7F.jpg  
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Here’s mine from a 2014. The bolt in it is a 1/2”, the handle is 15”X7” then the handle grip….So maybe find some thicker 1/2” ID pipe and cut a notch in it….and the OD of the end is 3/4”
they changed it in 2015, shorter and without the handle (I guess cheaper to make). I did a small mod to mine so I could use the stabilized wrench since I don't carry a drill.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks sounds like the one on Amazon should work then!
Old 05-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #11

On a related subject...does anyone have luck using their truck connection to power the jack if batteries are dead?

My last travel trailer would let me lower and raise it with my truck connection. I had a F150 then and now a Dodge Ram so wasn’t sure if it was the trailer or the truck?
Old 05-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks Rob! I see we both have 2014. That's helpful I don't even know what brand/model of the landing jacks. Didn't get a manual for those either...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: drhoda... This tool is good to have... but not to use. Once, I loaded our 5.0 by hand, as I thought the battery was dead. It seemed to take forever to raise the trailer to connect the truck. Back and forth from side to side to raise it 1/8th" up. Gave me enough time to figure out that stuffing the power cord in... in haste, had flipped off the cutoff switch located under the dinette bench. Never did that again. WHEW!!! Alf

Interesting, our 2015 is wired differently, the landing jacks do not go though the disconnect switch, they 'live' all the time.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
My 5.0TA front jacks will operate (slower) with no house batteries at all but never tried with them installed and dead.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Keep in mind that some new trucks are to smart and require you to do a little dance before they will start to proved charging power to the battery via the cable.

This may include all or some of the below:
Starting the vehicle
Placing your foot on the brake
Placing the vehicle in drive
Moving the vehicle a foot or more

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Interesting, our 2015 is wired differently, the landing jacks do not go though the disconnect switch, they 'live' all the time.
Hi: Chris R... Sorry... I guess 5.0 isn't enough these days. It was our '07 5.0 SA and the cutoff switch was located inside the dinette bench. I'm sure Reace made changes and when we got home I put a pipe strap over it to prevent another incident. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1010129.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote