5.0 Pin Box Rust - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
When I picked mine up in Charlotte NC in January of 2022, the pin box looked like this. Maybe caused by a strap rub on the way down. There was also small damage to the belly band. Escape recommended touch up paint (name withheld). I agree with you Jack, when we pay this much for a trailer, it should be perfect. There was also some scuffing on the front (hard to show in an image) maybe from the mold release.
That's the wish, but I'd settle for some discussion and some help addressing the matter with the builder experts. We now know more than the builder experts on the pin box rusting aspect, treating it and preventing it. Took us a week to learn and ETI has been building 5.0's for many years. Seems an odd way to do business.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Okay so it looks like this is boiling down to communication. And this is the way I feel.

So many times I feel like I did not have adequate communication when I couldn't figure something out. After the last incident, I just kind of switched to asking you guys instead. I heard the same frustration in Justin's voice over the phone as I did when I read this response. Which is helpful.

I bought a trailer to focus on fun, not on aggravating someone I do not know.

You have to give Justin credit for joining this thread with a short, seemingly terse comment about the general condition of the pin box. It was helpful but only in a narrow sense. I think we need a bigger conversation about all sorts of stuff concerning the trailer. I am highly critical of the conglomeration of information and specs in the manual. We eventually threw it in a bag so it would all be in one place.

If you write world class books and you look at that manual, you will join me in rolling your eyes. No matter what anyone thinks. We all have different standards and their manual does not approach mine. Again, communication is at the base of the discussion. I like to be coddled! Go ahead and laugh, I do.

And yes we know the videos are suppose to fill in the gap. And they do to some extent. Yet this thread is now two pages in length. That means something. Go back and read Justin's comment again. It's not exactly conversation.

I think it means there is not adequate communication between Escape and the greater community. Their volume is up but their communication is limited to calling in and hoping for a response or watching videos. Too many times I had to call back. They seem overworked.

Am I being too critical? I have bought more expensive things when the seller didn't care this much. I don't feel the same way about Escape and I did before, and it cooled me off as far as Osoyoos goes too. Small things for over-sensitive people like me. Most likely my own shortcoming.

I want to feel closer to the factory, I just don't. Do I really need that?

Remember, Goodwill is a line item in a balance sheet for a reason.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Yes, my pin box is unpainted and rusty inside as well. I've never noticed rust stains on my hitch and truck bed like you have though.

Looks like another trailer project to add to the list.
Need to keep in mind, not all rusting at the pin box is visible until you take off the lower pin box. Again, rust prevention on these brand new trailers while at ETI is obviously lacking in some cases.

Also, it looks like raw metal at the connection points which was never painted. Clearly the entire pin box was spray painted after the upper and lower pin boxes were already connected together, so the metal at the connection point remains unpainted. Our 2022 is at least one case of this added rust issue, but even if your pin box is recieved rust free inside, the pin box could have this hidden rusting we found at both the upper and lower pin box connection points. Not the best spot to have ongoing rusting and our trailer is brand new & only just weeks old from ETI, built in the Feb 2022.
We will sand these areas so they are rust free again and repaint the outside of both the upper and lower pin box in this case, before reattaching the lower pinbox. That way all the metal has a good layer of protective paint.
Attached Thumbnails
20220321_070317a.jpg   20220321_070226a.jpg   20220321_071854a.jpg  
Old 03-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 21
While some have had great results with Dustin, I’m another that hasn’t. Emailed him several time and left 2 messages. Was totally ghosted by him . Put a call into Dave , got a call back in 30 mins on an electrical I had question on. Took a whole minute of his time to answer. I always ask for Dave when I have a question. Best customer service with him I’ve ever had. Wish they’d put him back in charge but he wanted to be more involved with production
Old 03-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
ETI doesn't manufacture the pin box. They could have installed it the same day they received it. IF anyone is to blame for all the rust, it's the company that built the pin box, not the company that installed it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ETI doesn't manufacture the pin box. They could have installed it the same day they received it. IF anyone is to blame for all the rust, it's the company that built the pin box, not the company that installed it.
Not really the case when you investigate the matter. We spoke to Lippert who said ETI purchases the pin boxes in bulk from Lippert as "raw stock" and "unfinished". It's probably cheaper for ETI to purchase in bulk, unfinished, and do all the finish work at ETI's shop.

Makes a lot of sense as it would be very difficult for Lippert to ship the upper pin box and the lower pinbox bolted together and have painted them both while attached together like that at Lippert's shop. It's clear after removing our lower pin box that the upper pin box and lower pin box were painted while they were attached together. It's also clear when you unbolt the two pieces. While unbolting, you break the paint seals so it clear the bolts have never been removed after the paint job was done.

See the pics showing evidence of that fact. It's bare unpainted metal and rust at the connection points on both the lower and upper boxes with a perfect painted outline.

Perhaps ETI will explain further about these rust issues both inside the pin box and at the connection point during their the March "questions and answers" video they do each month.
Attached Thumbnails
20220321_071854a.jpg   20220321_070317a.jpg   20220321_070226a.jpg  
Old 03-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Oh my god I cant believe any one could think this is any ones fault besides ETI.

Jack made his check out to ETI. They are responsible! The said part is they Don't care . When I buy a new Toyota if i have problem thats under warranty Toyota takes care of me because they sold it to me. They don't say well we didn't make the window, stereo ,ect we only installed it. I sure miss Reace
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I sure miss reese
Reace.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Oh my god I cant believe any one could think this is any ones fault besides ETI.

Jack made his check out to ETI. They are responsible! The said part is they Don't care . When I buy a new Toyota if i have problem thats under warranty Toyota takes care of me because they sold it to me. They don't say well we didn't make the window, stereo ,ect we only installed it. I sure miss reese
It's not a motor vehicle. You'll find few, very, very few travel trailer manufacturers that have a 100% bumper to bumper warranty. Read the warranty information on the ETI home page. IF you don't like it, don't buy. Pretty simple actually.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's not a motor vehicle. You'll find few, very, very few travel trailer manufacturers that have a 100% bumper to bumper warranty. Read the warranty information on the ETI home page. IF you don't like it, don't buy. Pretty simple actually.

so your refering to this.
"MANUFACTURER’S LIMITED 2-YEAR WARRANTY

Escape Trailer Industries (‘ETI’) warranty covers this recreational vehicle (‘RV’) for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase by the first retail owner. This limited warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship supplied by and attributable to ETI’s manufacturing and assembly of the RV, when the RV is used for its intended purposes of recreational camping.

Manufacturing defects reported to Escape Trailer Industries within two years after the original retail delivery of your new Travel Trailer will be corrected without charge and within reasonable times.

Installed components (Air Conditioning, Stove Range, Fridge etc.) are covered by the individual manufacturer’s warranties.

IN ADDITION, SINCE IT IS REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT THE RV WILL NEED SOME SERVICE DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD, THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO FUTURE PERFORMANCE. IT ONLY SETS FORTH WHAT ETI WILL DO AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING ABOUT THE RV FOR ANY TIME PERIOD.

ETI is not responsible for any undertaking, representation, service agreement, or warranty beyond what is expressly set forth in this Limited Warranty."

so the question is does Jack feel that his reported issues with the pin box have corrected without charge and within reasonable times.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #31

Quote:
so your refering to this.
"MANUFACTURER’S LIMITED 2-YEAR WARRANTY

Escape Trailer Industries (‘ETI’) warranty covers this recreational vehicle (‘RV’) for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase by the first retail owner. This limited warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship supplied by and attributable to ETI’s manufacturing and assembly of the RV, when the RV is used for its intended purposes of recreational camping.

Manufacturing defects reported to Escape Trailer Industries within two years after the original retail delivery of your new Travel Trailer will be corrected without charge and within reasonable times.

Installed components (Air Conditioning, Stove Range, Fridge etc.) are covered by the individual manufacturer’s warranties.

IN ADDITION, SINCE IT IS REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT THE RV WILL NEED SOME SERVICE DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD, THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO FUTURE PERFORMANCE. IT ONLY SETS FORTH WHAT ETI WILL DO AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING ABOUT THE RV FOR ANY TIME PERIOD.

ETI is not responsible for any undertaking, representation, service agreement, or warranty beyond what is expressly set forth in this Limited Warranty."

so the question is does Jack feel that his reported issues with the pin box have corrected without charge and within reasonable times.
Let's add is it reasonable to expect ETI makes an effort to ensure that when they deliver brand new trailers to a customers the pin boxes didnt rust while sitting in ETI's yard prior to delivery,. being rusting of this scope does not happen in couple of days , as in this case.

Is an acceptable ETI response, "Rust will always be there and there's nothing you can do about it".

This is a "ETI Do Better" moment. I'm fully capable and removed the pin box and getting the inside spaces treated and sprayed for this rust. I drilled a second drainage hole so water no longer collects and sits inside the pin box. I will sand and paint the outside of "entire" upper and lower pin boxes. Also, I can well afford the $50 treatment which will solve the inside rust problem, forever. The inside work is scheduled for next Tuesday. I'm not looking for anything from ETI at this point.

However, right is right and wrong is wrong.
After-sales support at ETI needs to "Do Better!
Old 03-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I wonder if it is practical for Escape to write in their contract, to spray every part prior to construction (or whatever)?

How much cost could that add? I wonder?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
Also, I can well afford the $50 treatment which will solve the inside rust problem, forever.
Forever is a long time.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #34

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Forever is a long time.
The product we are using is warrenteed for 7 years sprayed on the exposed bottoms of cars and trucks. Inside a protected space like the pin box it will last double that or my trailer's version of forever and certainly your version of forever, as well....
Old 03-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I wonder if it is practical for Escape to write in their contract, to spray every part prior to construction (or whatever)?

How much cost could that add? I wonder?
Or perhaps just paint better and if these parts are sitting exposed to the elements for lengths of time in their yard and rusting, ETI might consider wrapping the pin box in the blue plastic they use for the trailers while shipping.
This is neither difficult nor costly, as prevention is typically cheaper.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It makes sense to me for ETI to buy at least the upper part of the pin box unfinished, because it is welded in place and would logically be finished along with the rest of the frame, after they're welded together. On the other hand, the lower part should certainly be purchased in finished condition, or finished separately before being bolted to the upper section.

The pin box will have similar corrosion challenges to the frame, although it doesn't have the road debris exposure problems of the lower parts of the frame, but does have water-trapping issues that the frame generally doesn't.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Jack, thanks for all your investigation on this problem. Probably like many others, it never occurred to me to check for rust in the pin box assembly. So I just now checked it out and sure enough I found rust inside the pin box cavities. Took delivery in November 2020 and live in a dry climate so the rust does not appear excessive. However, after returning home to Kennewick, WA from our stay in Tucson, I will remove the pin box and apply rust-proofing.
TKscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #38

This is my rust collection. I've had it for 25 years or so. No maintenance required.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust.jpg  
Old 03-25-2022, 04:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKscape View Post
Jack, thanks for all your investigation on this problem. Probably like many others, it never occurred to me to check for rust in the pin box assembly. So I just now checked it out and sure enough I found rust inside the pin box cavities. Took delivery in November 2020 and live in a dry climate so the rust does not appear excessive. However, after returning home to Kennewick, WA from our stay in Tucson, I will remove the pin box and apply rust-proofing.
Sorry to hear this, TK.
Our pin box rusting hard not to notice for some reason. On our first drive with the brand new 5.0 trailer our pin box dumped a rusty mess on our Anderson hitch and truck bed, so it caught our attention right away. We expect that will continue while we have items stored in the bed around the hitch & in FL we often get short but heavy afternoon downpours. We have a good fix which will be completed soon. I will post pics when it's done.

Samuel at ETI called us Wednesday to learn more about this problem. We respect his efforts to investigate the matter. We told him we are not looking for ETI to do anything further for us in this case, as we have a plan to solve the problem. He thought our solution would work for us.
We spoke about how would be easier to handle this matter if the rust was prevented so we recieved the new trailer rust free and we were aware more painting in this area might be necessary. Sorta like we are made aware in the manual that the brakes require attention. Could be the same deal....
Samuel liked the idea of wrapping the pinboxes with ETI's "blue plastic" material used during delivery. The plastic wrap would help to keep water out, protecting the pinboxes better while stored in ETI's yard & during delivery.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:53 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Maybe the squeaky wheel will get the paint after all. Ultimate safety issue if not addressed. Will see if the premium I’m paying for the next chapter in fbg camping brings more attention to detail.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote