5 cuft Dometic Fridge 2 way refer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #21

Re: 5 cuft Dometic Fridge 2 way refer

Is your trailer new enough to have the factory upper baffle? We had the baffle installed last summer at the factory the fridge heat really exits the top vent now. Temps stay and the normal ranges. We also use a temp sender unit. Placed sender inside the fridge and carry the receiver in the tug. When camping we keep the receiver on the kitchen counter. Everytime you open the fridge the temp drops 5 degrees or more. And yes a small battery fan keeps the air inside moving.
Chuck
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo
Is your trailer new enough to have the factory upper baffle? We had the baffle installed last summer at the factory the fridge heat really exits the top vent now. Temps stay and the normal ranges. We also use a temp sender unit. Placed sender inside the fridge and carry the receiver in the tug. When camping we keep the receiver on the kitchen counter. Everytime you open the fridge the temp drops 5 degrees or more. And yes a small battery fan keeps the air inside moving.
Chuck
Can you elaborate more on the "baffle" Escape is installing now? Was it a recent change and do you have some pictures?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo
Chuck
Chuck - yes we have an upper baffle. This was the first time we ever any trouble with it - probably because the Wind Cave campground is pretty much without trees and the afternoon sun baked right onto the exterior of the fridge.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #24

The fridge can be operated while towing.

The fridge in our unit has not operated on electricity since we took it away from the factory.

We drove the 2500 k down to the factory to have it repaired with no luck, Reace could not get an apponitment with the local fridge people.
if I was the owner of the factory I would have replaced it but no luck there.

Result we use only propane and keep the fridge on while traveling.

Some day if we drive down to the factory again I will see if they will repair it, but am not driving another 2500 K to get the same service.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Name:
PHILMAR RV CENTER
Phone: (867) 668-6129

Address:
91280 ALASKA HIGHWAY
City:
WHITEHORSE
State:
YT
Zip:
Y1A 6E4
CAN
Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 17

Phlimar RV, dometic factory service center review here
http://tinyurl.com/7lso2yr
could not find a BBB.org listing.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks for that website info. The service reviews for one's area appear very helpful.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 17

A number of people have changed out their own cooling units from rvcoolingunit.com and rvcoolingunit.net I found this example interesting
http://youtu.be/EyCh7aXveow
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
A number of people have changed out their own cooling units from rvcoolingunit.com and rvcoolingunit.net I found this example interesting
http://youtu.be/EyCh7aXveow
Yes, this is a very good replacement unit when your original one bites the dust. Saves you about 30% off the cost of a new one.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Hi, we just got back from a 2 week trip and when I parked the trailer and shut everything off I noticed water dripping from under the trailer below the fridge through a plastic tube. I suspect its a drain for the defrosting melt water. Although I didn't notice any frost in the fridge freezer compartment. Is this normal operations.? The fridge is a 3 way 3 foot in a 17'.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #31

be glad you have a tube, some units will splash it on the floor! yes, it is common to have condensate from the refer
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Per another thread I just started, our fridge goes out when on propane if we do as much as back up 5 feet. It's very frustrating and we plan to take it in per Reace's suggestion. We've forgotten about this a few times, drive off, and then stop two hours later and realize our fridge is "clicking" ... I hope it hasn't been blowing off propane that whole time

You'll note on the other thread that ours also won't cool lower than 55f/13c. It's brand new (as is our Escape).

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Ya , having a bummed out fridge sucks. I now noticed that the top hinge for the door on ours has come loose some how. I thought these things where road rated and tested at the factory before installed at the assembly factory. It's for sure they shouldn't blow out during traveling. There maybe a baffle plate missing or out of place.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #34

Trailer: 2011 17 eh?
Fridge Gas Flow

Our second trip out this year and the fridge refused to light. I was about to pull things apart and discovered a tiny little "Manual Shutoff valve" and the hairline indicator was at 45 degrees. I rotated it inline with the flow and presto, good as new. Thinking back the fridge acted up a little last year. No one has been near that valve since we picked up the trailer last year.

If you are experiencing gas flow problems check for that little valve and the orientation of that very fine line, it shows in the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Manual shut-off.jpg  
skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #35

Baglo;
I hope you were not being sarcastic.

I have lived in the Yukon, (Whitehorse) this time around for twenty two years.
I do not need to be told where Philmar Rv center is, it is four Kilometers from my home.
I am! an industrial electrician, millwright, carpenter, plumber, oil burner technician, construction project manager, there is not much I cannot repair, when you have lived in the Arctic as long as I have you have to be selfsufficient, you have to be able to fix things.

My point was, my Dometic fridge was under warranty (still is as far as I am concerned).
I drove the 2500 killometers to the factory one way and asked for it to be fixed, it wasn't. So much for warranty work. If the factory was mine and I could not get a technician the least I would have done is replace the fridge.

That is customer service.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

Name:
PHILMAR RV CENTER

Address:
91280 ALASKA HIGHWAY
City:
WHITEHORSE
State:
YT
Zip:
Y1A 6E4
CAN
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I don't think I have to say anything.

baglo
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape

Baglo;
I hope you were not being sarcastic.

I have lived in the Yukon, (Whitehorse) this time around for twenty two years.
I do not need to be told where Philmar Rv center is, it is four Kilometers from my home.
I am! an industrial electrician, millwright, carpenter, plumber, oil burner technician, construction project manager, there is not much I cannot repair, when you have lived in the Arctic as long as I have you have to be selfsufficient, you have to be able to fix things.

My point was, my Dometic fridge was under warranty (still is as far as I am concerned).
I drove the 2500 killometers to the factory one way and asked for it to be fixed, it wasn't. So much for warranty work. If the factory was mine and I could not get a technician the least I would have done is replace the fridge.
That is customer service.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

Name:
PHILMAR RV CENTER

Address:
91280 ALASKA HIGHWAY
City:
WHITEHORSE
State:
YT
Zip:
Y1A 6E4
CAN
That would be a reasonable expectation, even if the factory were just across town.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Though in the home building and renovation business, and not a trailer manufacturer, I still deal with appliances all the time. It is very common for there to be some issue arise in the first while. Never do we outright replace a unit that can be fixed, it just would not make economical sense to do so. We repair the problem with the existing unit. To just outright replace a unit because of malfunction would be costly, a cost that would ultimately have to be passed down to the customers.

I do understand that an RV is different than a house, in that it does not always stay local. This is why every manufacturer, not just Escape, relies on authorized manufacturer (of the particular item) repair centers to assist in warranty work. In fact, I doubt that many trailer manufacturers would even consider factory repair work, they are just not set up to do so.

I had a thermostat issue with my trailer, took it in to a local shop, and had it fixed up for me without any hassle at all.

I do also understand we all have differing expectations. This is just my take on this one situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote