5th wheel U shaped dinette cushions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
5th wheel U shaped dinette cushions

Would someone explain to us please why we should split the back cushions? What is under the back bench that I would need frequent access to and which cushions need to be split? How thick should the back rest cushion be? My only U shape was when I modified our 2010 19 and Reace sent me the parts to change the dinette to a U shape. We liked that, so here we are doing it again.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Depending on whether Escape has changed locations, the batteries (to check & fill water), the inverter if you trip the GFCI or need to reset it, and, if you change any wiring, the access to the back of the converter. I've done all these things in my 21 & most of the stuff is in the same locations as a 5th wheel. Hauling the full length cushion over the table & finding an out-of-the-way place for it is a PIA. I didn't order the split bench, but after moving the full length one far too many times, I had Escape make me a couple of half covers, split the foam & plywood & appreciate the modification.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Thanks Jon
Old 11-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here's a shot of underneath the back bench on the drivers side - pretty much taken up with electrical components - converter, transfer switch, EMS, and secondary breaker box for outlets that run off the inverter. If you don't have the removable power cord, the power cord would feed in and store in the far end at the corner. On the 5.0 the inverter is mounted on the inside of the bench wall on the passenger side bench so it's easily accessible, although I have never needed to access it for anything.

The batteries take up a good bit of space under the back bench on the passenger side, there's a small amount of empty space available for storage between them and the converter but it is inconvenient to get at so I don't keep anything there that I will need to access regularly.

If the back seat back and cushion are split into two pieces (and the plywood lid to the bench storage area is also split) it would be much easier to access one side or the other of the area under the back bench. However, my wife greatly preferred the smooth appearance of a single cushion in the back. As Jon mentioned, it's kind of a pain to pull out the huge back cushion & seat back and stow them somewhere when you need to get under the back bench. In practice, though, I find that I really don't mind doing that because it's only twice a year to add water to my batteries and check on the connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Under back bench.jpg  
Old 11-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks, David. We have our RAM with 6&1/2 box, Hemi, trailer brakes and a local hitch place is installing the hitch, a step and a 5th wheel box across the bed just inside the tailgate. We now have an April date for the trailer. Thanks for all of your info.
AZjack
Old 11-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Split those cushions! I just had mine done last week. I had fabric that was almost a perfect match. Upholster charged $125.00 for the job. It looks great and access is greatly improved.
I also split the plywood to the bench lid ( as David suggests ) All it takes is two new hinges, and a cut with a saw. Much easier to get to everything.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Would someone explain to us please why we should split the back cushions? What is under the back bench that I would need frequent access to and which cushions need to be split? How thick should the back rest cushion be? My only U shape was when I modified our 2010 19 and Reace sent me the parts to change the dinette to a U shape. We liked that, so here we are doing it again. A 5.0 is 4" wider, which makes removing it a PIA.
AZjack
We split the rear bench seat, we did it our self, but I understand it is now an ETI option. Perry67 had this done at the factory, I am not sure what the factory charges, it cost me $200 US. We did have full wrap and some leftover material.

We have the Lagun table mount and we can access one side or the other without removing the table (I don't have a picture of the table up and one side open).

We do use the space under the rear bench for seldom used tools, bedding for the dinette, owners manuals etc. It sure is easier than wrestling that humongous cushion and seat back when I want to get in there.

First 3 pictures are the split bench

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post335761

Our rear seat's backrest cushion thickness is the standard ETI size for the U-dinette (2"?). This works just fine for us with the standard 2" back and a the noodle. With the pool noodle we do not hit the window knob with our backs (we do without it). I am aware others have 4", that does take up more of the bench bottom and the bottom is already much narrower than the two outside cushion bottoms. As a caveat be aware that the larger the rear seat bottom of the U-dinette is the less space you'll have under the table for feet and the table size will be affected the as well (smaller).

The standard size U-dinette works for us with the 2" back and a noodle but I also built a removeable 5" extension for the bottom seat cushion. We use the extension when we sit at the back watching TV, lounging etc. We only use the extension when we are occupying the rear most seat and it isn't really needed if someone is just sitting there eating etc. We can use the extension with the table up due to the Lagun's table's ability to be positioned many different ways.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post330419

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post330421

The last two pictures are the bottom seat extension.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Depending on whether Escape has changed locations, the batteries (to check & fill water), the inverter if you trip the GFCI or need to reset it, and, if you change any wiring, the access to the back of the converter. I've done all these things in my 21 & most of the stuff is in the same locations as a 5th wheel. Hauling the full length cushion over the table & finding an out-of-the-way place for it is a PIA. I didn't order the split bench, but after moving the full length one far too many times, I had Escape make me a couple of half covers, split the foam & plywood & appreciate the modification.
I just checked my credit card receipts & the Escape made covers cost $124.84 US. Same quality with fill sized zippers as the original covers.