7 Pin Plug Fit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
7 Pin Plug Fit

My 7 pin plug is very loose when plugged into my truck. The trailer lights work, and the spring-loaded cap keeps the plug in place, but it seems logical that this should be a snug connection. Other plugs on previous trailers had a snug fit.

Is this your experience also? Should I even be concerned? The last thing I need is connection problems on the road.

Thanks.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Mine is the same. I always check lights before taking off. Did have no lights once and had to reposition. Don't know if its the truck or plug.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Mine is not as tight as my last rig, but no problems... as you say the cap keeps it in place.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seems tight; have to snug it in for the catch to lock on the end however had no trailer brakes recently and going through the P3 diagnostics it became clear that there was no power on the trailer side. The pin at the 5 o'clock position sends power to the brakes. So I took a small flathead and closed the contacts a little on the Bargman then wiggled it in snug. Thankfully that resolve the issue.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Loose here. So far no problems.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Don't know of iT is available in your neck of the woods but switching over to the 13 pin jaeger plug does solve your problem at once. IT twists in the receiver and locks itself.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 17B
Speaking of plugs and brakes. When my trailer is plugged in - quite a tight fit- the trailer brake lights glimmer even if the car is turned off. No other lights on and the brake lights turn off as soon as I disconnect. Is this normal? And is this draining the car battery?
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use a small bungee strap around the plug just in case.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Mine just pulled out once during a tight turn and the plug really got abraded by dragging on the pavement for 10 seconds or so. Now I wrap with duct tape.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
Speaking of plugs and brakes. When my trailer is plugged in - quite a tight fit- the trailer brake lights glimmer even if the car is turned off. No other lights on and the brake lights turn off as soon as I disconnect. Is this normal? And is this draining the car battery?
The time that happened to me was when I had a reversed hot/neutral in an old Terry trailer about 30 years ago. I would not expect that to be a problem in these trailers.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Don't know of iT is available in your neck of the woods but switching over to the 13 pin jaeger plug does solve your problem at once. IT twists in the receiver and locks itself.
Those current European 13-pin plugs and sockets (ISO 11446) look like a nice system... but I would be very surprised to find one here.

The pins and wires are relatively small in the Euro connections, in part because the power supply and ground are split between multiple circuits each, and in part because the electric brake connnection is not used. Seef, you are using electric brakes on your Escape 5.0... are you using a non-standard pin assignment in your connector?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
When my trailer is plugged in - quite a tight fit- the trailer brake lights glimmer even if the car is turned off. No other lights on and the brake lights turn off as soon as I disconnect. Is this normal? And is this draining the car battery?
This is definitely not normal. If the car does not provide power to the trailer connector when turned off, it may be coming from the trailer's battery due to an unwanted connection between pins of the connector on the car side... this would mean draining the trailer battery.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 17B
Thanks. I came home early from my trip (had an appointment at Escape this Wednesday for an inverter install) as the charging system wasn't working as expected and I didn't want to spend a week in a commercial campground for electricity with 4 dogs along! At least I know I'm not crazy....ummm, about the charging, anyhow.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Those current European 13-pin plugs and sockets (ISO 11446) look like a nice system... but I would be very surprised to find one here.
Difficult but doable via webstores. Most of the stuff we need for the Escape is not available over here and we have to use all kinds of webstores to get our hands on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The pins and wires are relatively small in the Euro connections, in part because the power supply and ground are split between multiple circuits each, and in part because the electric brake connection is not used. Seef, you are using electric brakes on your Escape 5.0... are you using a non-standard pin assignment in your connector?
Yep, i do use electric brakes and to make things more complicated (well at least in this posting. ) i use not the 13 pin connection but the pre 1996 7 pin connector. . It is different to your 7 pin connector though. The fit is, most of the time, very snug.
Next to the 7 pin connector i use a separate 3 pin connector for the electric brakes. No thick wires though. Remember, needed to swap the axle for a EU type axle with electrical brakes.
Our electrical brakes work very different opposed to the US electrical brakes.

I'll try to make a photo of the connectors one of these days and post it over here.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #15

The Euro wiring topic is a sidetrack for this thread, so I started a separate thread: Wiring for Europe
Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Mine just pulled out once during a tight turn and the plug really got abraded by dragging on the pavement for 10 seconds or so. Now I wrap with duct tape.
Same thing happened to me two years ago after a u-turn in a parking lot. Sharp eyed fellow motorist noticed it dragging and singled me.

I've used (and reuse) a long twist tie to hold the cover latch protrusion into the trailers plug ever since
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
This was interesting to me. We just picked up our 19 last week and I noticed how loose the plug seemed. It was much looser than the one I had on my prior trailer. I'll have to watch it carefully. I hate to resort to a twist tie or duct tape or similar.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have had this issue with my Escape and my horse trailer the plug is loose and sometimes it moves and I loose my lights have to check them all the time. I think I will try the twist tie or bungee to hold it secure
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I think I will change to the twist tie option over Duct tape.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My situation is directly opposite. The plug is so tight, I really need to force the plug to make certain I get a good connection. It appears the Chevy folks have more issues with loose plugs than Ford folks?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote