7-way connector vehicle side replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
7-way connector vehicle side replacement

I mentioned earlier backing into something and breaking the connector. I checked the wires with a tester and all was fine so figured I'd use it for a coming trip and then replace it. Well, not a good plan, as it turned out, I couldn't plug the Bargman from the trailer into it. Removed the Curt plug (vehicle side) from the holder and tried it. The problem is, it gets a connection but won't go in the last 1/4 inch into the Bargman receiver plug. I'm guessing this is also why it was always loose on the plug. (Inside the socket-type plug you can't tell that it isn't going all the way in.)

Everything works with it in as far as it goes, so I taped it up to use for the trip. But I want to replace it with one that fits better. Any suggestions? I looked at e trailer but the only Bargmans were sealed connectors that I can't just switch out the wires on. I'm not big on electrical stuff but I can switch wires from one plug to another assuming they work more or less the same way. So what will fit tightly with a Bargman?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bobbie, I don't whether or not it will work for your situation, but this is the one I plan to buy next time I need a replacement. It is their professional series model so I am hoping it is fairly heavy duty. Reese Towpower 85475 Professional Series 7-Way Blade Vehicle End Connector

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

I just don't want to order anything without knowing it will fit better than the Curt does. That looks good, though. I think I'll ask the folks at etrailer if they can recommend one that fits.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

From etrailer: http://www.etrailer.com/question-246671.html?fb=yes

Not sure about the Curt, though, it is new, clean, and doesn't fit. And I did try cleaning the Bargman to make it work but with little success (I'd already cleaned it when I wasn't getting a good connection.) But I'll replace the Curt since that's broken AFTER I try the replacement part's fit on the Bargman trailer-side.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
The Bargman plug on my 21' doesn't fit my Silverado worth a darn. OEM on the Silverado is Pollak. I ordered a Pollak plug and it fits great. I also picked up a Curt diecast plug at Walmart and it fits great. I hesitate to change trailer side and get by with a Camco multiclamp to keep it in place. I think the Bargman is the issue. See my post. The last quarter inch is the issue.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...cks-10543.html

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

I'm not thrilled with replacing trailer side, either. But good to know ahead of time the Pollak may have the same problem. I'm going to get something locally so I can fit it first before any work wiring.