A/C not as cold as expected - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshbros View Post
Unless you consider 85 too cold
Okay, not poking fun at anyone, but think about this... it's winter, there's a foot of snow outside, you crank up the furnance and get the sticks and bricks home to 85 degrees... NIRVANA. Fast forward, it's summer, it's 105 degrees outside and the A/C only gets your home down to 85 degrees and you're hot... in the hot summer hang a poster of it snowing outside, in the winter hang a poster of palm trees and beaches. 85 degrees is 85 degrees... it's a mental perception.

There may still be an issue with the A/C however...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, not poking fun at anyone, but think about this... it's winter, there's a foot of snow outside, you crank up the furnance and get the sticks and bricks home to 85 degrees... NIRVANA. Fast forward, it's summer, it's 105 degrees outside and the A/C only gets your home down to 85 degrees and you're hot... in the hot summer hang a poster of it snowing outside, in the winter hang a poster of palm trees and beaches. 85 degrees is 85 degrees... it's a mental perception.

There may still be an issue with the A/C however...
I appreciate the perspective but I never heat to 85 in the winter. Such a waste when you can layer clothing and blankets. In the summer, there is only so much unlayering one can do

I don't think a 10 degree differential from the outside temperature is sufficient. When it gets to 110 that means sleeping in 100 degree temps. Anyone that wants to try that and turn their heat on then I say more power to ya'

Also, we are traveling with a toddler and it is more for him than us.

Don't you think an 11000 btu a/c should be able to cool a sliver of the square footage that a 5000 btu a/c used to cool in the heat and humidity of NYC?
bshbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Chad, I wasn't poking fun, truly. Is there anything in the A/C users manual that would help?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chad, I wasn't poking fun, truly. Is there anything in the A/C users manual that would help?
I didn't think you were Donna. I think I've come to the end of troubleshooting and the heat must be getting to me

I have tried all the options that this great forum has offered and I don't think there is anything else I can do to fix it. Very disappointing given our future destinations. I will contact ETI to see if they can make any other recommendations.

Thanks to all and I will update if I'm able to find a resolution.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Has the unit ever cooled to your satisfaction in the past? If not perhaps it needs serviced!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Has the unit ever cooled to your satisfaction in the past? If not perhaps it needs serviced!
The unit is less than a month old. We just bought the trailer and had the unit installed in May so this is the first real test.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I don't think a 10 degree differential from the outside temperature is sufficient. When it gets to 110 that means sleeping in 100 degree temps. Anyone that wants to try that and turn their heat on then I say more power to ya'o
Seriously, if all you are getting is a 10 degree differential, something is not working properly. My 11,000 cycles on and off and it literally feels like a meat locker inside when the A/C is running.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Inside filter is spotless. I looked through the manual but don't know if there is an external filter that may need cleaning.
Typically, no; however, there is a condenser (a kind of radiator) which is normally visible from the outside, and an evaporator (looking the same) which is buried inside the ductwork so it's a little harder to get to. Both of them have air blown through them, so they can get clogged up which hurts performance. There is no filter for the outside one, so it can get clogged with stuff in the outside air (such as the fluff that some of the trees around here produce). Since the unit it new, it could also have some leftover packaging or something inside that is blocking the condenser or evaporator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Argh- probably time to get in line at the closest Dometic service spot. Would Yelp 'em though.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Seriously, if all you are getting is a 10 degree differential, something is not working properly. My 11,000 cycles on and off and it literally feels like a meat locker inside when the A/C is running.
That's what I expected. We were really excited that we would be able to cool ourselves from that kind of heat. I have to think there is an issue even though everything seems to cycle correctly.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Typically, no; however, there is a condenser (a kind of radiator) which is normally visible from the outside, and an evaporator (looking the same) which is buried inside the ductwork so it's a little harder to get to. Both of them have air blown through them, so they can get clogged up which hurts performance. There is no filter for the outside one, so it can get clogged with stuff in the outside air (such as the fluff that some of the trees around here produce). Since the unit it new, it could also have some leftover packaging or something inside that is blocking the condenser or evaporator.
It is definitely worth checking both of those. There were days when we were parked under a number of trees. We may have a blockage that is keeping the cold air from getting in the trailer. I will check it in the morning to see if I can find anything.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I am truly impressed with everyone stepping up to the plate here with thoughtful suggestions...especially when someone runs into a problem on the road.

Good luck to bshbros and his family on this unfortunate occurrence...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I am truly impressed with everyone stepping up to the plate here with thoughtful suggestions...especially when someone runs into a problem on the road.

Good luck to bshbros and his family on this unfortunate occurrence...
I agree. The time that everyone has taken to to help me with a solution is very much appreciated. I have seen similar efforts on other threads and it makes me happy to be a part of such a great community.

Thanks to all and I will keep everyone updated. It may be a few days since we will be out of cell service for our phones and may or may not have wi-fi at our next destination, Dinosaur National Monument.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #34
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
That cottonwood cotton will mess you up at times. If you are close to Loa Utah, there's a repair shop there where they are extremely talented and can no doubt analyze your problem if not fix it. It's a small town with only one shop that's next to a farm store. They bailed me out one time and worked Round the clock to get us back on the road
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
That cottonwood cotton will mess you up at times. If you are close to Loa Utah, there's a repair shop there where they are extremely talented and can no doubt analyze your problem if not fix it. It's a small town with only one shop that's next to a farm store. They bailed me out one time and worked Round the clock to get us back on the road
Dave
That might be on our way as we head south.If we haven't found a solution by then we will definitely make the stop there. Thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't know where to find a reputable place so I appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Our AC was not performing either to expected "coolness". I checked the filters and they looked fine untill I removed them and washed them in the kitchen sink and let them dry.

I agree blinds closed, vents closed.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hello all,
We have the A/C option installed in our 19' and are currently in northern Utah and heading south through Arizona. We have had it in use for a few days and are surprised that it doesn't cool as well as we thought it would. The thermostat for the furnace reads 85 and we have had the air on for hours. We are concerned about this as we anticipate temps in the 100's as we continue south.

I'm on my phone and unable to search the forum thoroughly so I apologize if this has been discussed on another thread. Anyone who has any ideas on how to keep the trailer cool?

Thanks
Do you have the EMS (surge protector)? It will not allow the A/C to run under a number of conditions, perhaps only the fan. I also seem to recall some special install requirement regarding a delay for the A/C that maybe someone here knows about, if you have the EMS.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Assuming the AC is wired and installed properly, it should get the interior quite cool, even in hot climates. Here in South Texas, with an outside air temp of 96-98F, and WAY more humidity than you would ever find in Utah, we can run ours on low speed and still keep the trailer around 75F.

Something doesn't sound right to me. As others have suggested, maybe have the system checked out.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I would agree. My 2009 has one of the earliest roof mounted ac units (sorry it is in storage and I don't recall the brand and it isn't a Dometic), but even in 100 degree+ weather, I have to turn it down as it gets really cold. I also have less area to cool as my Escape is a 17'.
Good luck in solving your problem soon.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Try the recommended Dometic test (as relayed to me by a local Dometic authorized repair dealer) when we first thought ours wasn't working. Their test is designed to eliminate some of the variables.

First find a thermometer that has an accurate digital probe. I used a meat thermometer that normally goes into meat for the oven. (Actually, any thermometer that you can place in the vent area would work as long as it won't shut off.) Place the probe in the vent of the AC (this is the inside exhaust vent) and run on FAN ONLY for 15 minutes to establish the ambient temperature.

Second, after 15 minutes turn the compressor on in high mode and run for about 5 minutes. Note the change on the thermometer. Any change above 15 degrees is considered by Dometic to be OK or working. I just did this again on ours. Outside temp is 94 F. Ambient in the trailer was 80 F after 15 minutes on fan. After 6 minutes with the compressor on I got 49 F or a change of 31 degrees. Optimum for the Penguin II.

The dealer cautioned me that you cannot go on feel in the trailer or a thermometer that is not placed in the vent. What you are checking is the ability of the AC to change its ambient intake air to a colder air at the exhaust. This process is similar to how I have seen my auto dealership test my car A/C.

I would be interested to know your results when testing as recommended by Dometic. As new as your A/C is, I suspect it is operating within parameters. When we first got ours and were in 110 F heat, we didn't think ours was working either, but it was. Good luck.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote