A/C question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
A/C question

This week we camped in Ojai at Lake Casitas and it was hot! I had the A/C circuit breaker shut off, so I turned the unit on and used the a/c during the day. The next morning, my wife wanted to remove some of the chill, so she turned the furnace on. Imagine our surprise when the a/c came on instead of the furnace. I had to shut the circuit breaker off in order to get the furnace to come on. Is this normal? (We have the dometic thermostat so its easy to see furnace not a/c on the LED)
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Check you setpoints. You need to raise the cool setting before you raise the heat setting or it goes stupid and don't know what to do even though you have it on heat. It should not do this but we have had it happen a couple times.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Wildcat MAXX
What is your FAN setting? If not on AUTO, the A/C fan can/will run when you turn the furnace on!
PS- you change the fan settings by pushing the FAN button, then use the up/down arrows which changes the fan setting from LOW, HIGH, AUTO.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
fan setting?

I didn't get that during the orientation!
thanks- I'll check it out.

Probably won't use the a/c much as it is louder that the one in the Casita which was annoying.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
I didn't get that during the orientation!
thanks- I'll check it out.

Probably won't use the a/c much as it is louder that the one in the Casita which was annoying.
Jerry
We have been at Wine Country RV in Paso Robles when it was 113! You will use the ac despite the noise, believe me. 😅
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We have been at Wine Country RV in Paso Robles when it was 113! You will use the ac despite the noise, believe me. ��
Yep. We prefer camping from late September to May, mainly because we only like to run the AC during the day, and here in the south, you'd need it at night for about 4 months, maybe 5. When it's running during the day the noise doesn't bother us.

Having said that, we have been in areas where we had to run it at night, and although it's not as pleasant as the quiet Maxx Fan, we have been able to sleep.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We have been at Wine Country RV in Paso Robles when it was 113! You will use the ac despite the noise, believe me. 😅
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep. We prefer camping from late September to May, mainly because we only like to run the AC during the day, and here in the south, you'd need it at night for about 4 months, maybe 5. When it's running during the day the noise doesn't bother us.
Shameless plug for my A/C retrofit to a split system, but I really dislike the fact that the loud rooftop units limit the use and enjoyment of the trailer for some users depending on their locale and noise tolerance. The split system completely changes the living experience inside and outside the trailer, both day and night. Since it is a heat pump it is can also be used for heating in moderate weather. It is not an easy project and may not mount as easily in all models, but for those that use their A/C regularly I highly recommend considering. It is working so well that we will likely remove the stock Dometic rooftop A/C unit soon.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/custom-air-conditioning-retrofit-8249.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Definitely a nice conversion Dave, and I thought your approach was genius.

However, it's not going to happen for most people, mainly because they lack the expertise or time to do it.

In our case, I'd love to have that type of unit, but considering we don't camp but maybe 6 times a year (mainly because of work), I don't currently see the need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Definitely a nice conversion Dave, and I thought your approach was genius.

However, it's not going to happen for most people, mainly because they lack the expertise or time to do it.

In our case, I'd love to have that type of unit, but considering we don't camp but maybe 6 times a year (mainly because of work), I don't currently see the need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Understood. In my research I did happen to come across a rooftop unit with inverter technology, but the brand is likely boxed out by Coleman and Dometic in North America. If it could be procured it would be a much easier retrofit for someone than a split system, but I'm wondering how much quieter it would really be since you are still a single package on the roof with much of the noise transmitted through the large opening.

www.aislu.com/Technical_Doc/TECH_PDF/MSD_rvairconditioner.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote