A couple questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
A couple questions

Since picking up our Escape 19, we've taken a few long weekend trips and finally took it on it's first 2 week adventure to Banff/Jasper. Most things worked very well; but there's always something to tweak.

After weeks of discussion, I thought I had a 12v outlet installed in every conceivable place that my wife might want the TV. Go figure, she wants it on the the fold up table by the sink where I did not have an outlet installed. Any tips for running cables? It looks like ETI ran most of them through the cabinets; but getting a cable past the door looks a bit daunting.

Anyone come up with a modification for the fire escape window? I understand that it is a legal requirement and I'm fine with that. I just want to be able to use it for venting. The latch on mine seems like a baited mouse trap, ready to send a 10" aluminum bar flying if it gets bumped. I've used the decidedly low tech foam block on the outside, so far; but that leaves the aluminum bar hanging over my feet or face. I'm considering using a triangular file to undercut the latch and make it a bit less touchy. Just wondering if anyone has come up with something better.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
That aluminum bar is lethal! When we picked up our trailer I was confused as to how the window worked and accidentally knocked out the screen. It took a VERY long time to get it back in. Now I open and close it with great care.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i tried to open it once the screen came out but never really got it to open right.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a wire run over the door in the 19 as well as under the kitchen sink, either will give you the tv but who would want it by the sink? The emergency window is used regularly by us and there is a procedure to drill a hole and place a pin to keep that lethal bar at large.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
a couple questons

Hope this helps got this mod from somewhere . Carefully drill hole .I actually found pin drilled in that and added a key chain ring . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010009.jpg   P1010010.jpg   P1010008.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Since picking up our Escape 19, we've taken a few long weekend trips and finally took it on it's first 2 week adventure to Banff/Jasper. Most things worked very well; but there's always something to tweak.

After weeks of discussion, I thought I had a 12v outlet installed in every conceivable place that my wife might want the TV. Go figure, she wants it on the the fold up table by the sink where I did not have an outlet installed. Any tips for running cables? It looks like ETI ran most of them through the cabinets; but getting a cable past the door looks a bit daunting.

Anyone come up with a modification for the fire escape window? I understand that it is a legal requirement and I'm fine with that. I just want to be able to use it for venting. The latch on mine seems like a baited mouse trap, ready to send a 10" aluminum bar flying if it gets bumped. I've used the decidedly low tech foam block on the outside, so far; but that leaves the aluminum bar hanging over my feet or face. I'm considering using a triangular file to undercut the latch and make it a bit less touchy. Just wondering if anyone has come up with something better.
I posted some pics at bottom for you . Pat
Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is a wire run over the door in the 19 as well as under the kitchen sink, either will give you the tv but who would want it by the sink? The emergency window is used regularly by us and there is a procedure to drill a hole and place a pin to keep that lethal bar at large.
If the Mrs wants it by the sink ...

She prefers it unmounted and in a box out of the way when unused. She also likes the flexibility of setting it on a table outside. We only use it with a built in dvd player, so it can go anywhere there is power.

I hadn't thought about drilling a hole and using a pin for the window. I bet I could drill a couple of them and make it adjustable.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I posted some pics at bottom for you . Pat
Thank you, that looks ideal to me.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:

She prefers it unmounted and in a box out of the way when unused. She also likes the flexibility of setting it on a table outside. We only use it with a built in dvd player, so it can go anywhere there is power.

I hadn't thought about drilling a hole and using a pin for the window. I bet I could drill a couple of them and make it adjustable.
You could I just have it mounted where it is supposed to sit . Pat
Old 08-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Man, I come late to the parade and find that others have already posted the pin in hole solution. Great minds and all that

There is power available in that area. Those of us who have opened up that area had ready access to it. If you pull off the end plywood in the under sink area you can access it. It's only held on with staples and a couple of dabs of glue.

Hmm, just looked at my end of cabinet door addition. Might be hard to actually get your hands on the wire. You might have to do the extra door mod.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I actually found pin drilled in that and added a key chain ring.
That works
There are pins available which come with a ring and a detent ball to keep it it place; example - detent pins
Or from Amazon: Aerofast Inc FPC3-08R Ring-Handle Detent Quick Release Pin 3/16 Diameter, 0.8 Grip Long
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
She prefers it unmounted and in a box out of the way when unused.
We like our tv the same way, in a big laptop computer case and stowed under the seat. I don't even know if it still works..
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I stow mine under the bed it seems safer I do watch it when camping alone it's nice to curl up with a dog or two a glass of wine and a old movie.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hope this helps got this mod from somewhere . Carefully drill hole .I actually found pin drilled in that and added a key chain ring . Pat
I finally got around to this mod. The red plastic end of the handle no longer hooks in place when the window is out and I wanted to have the window open at different spots.
I was a bit leery of the grey plastic part surviving after a hole was drilled in it, so I replaced it with one made from aluminium. I drilled 3 holes at different spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6781.jpg   SAM_6779.jpg   SAM_6782.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I finally got around to this mod. The red plastic end of the handle no longer hooks in place when the window is out and I wanted to have the window open at different spots.
I was a bit leery of the grey plastic part surviving after a hole was drilled in it, so I replaced it with one made from aluminium. I drilled 3 holes at different spacing.
Hi Chris ! Pat
Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Chris ! Pat
Hi Pat, one thing I noticed is that the plastic part's thickness was causing the aluminum window frame to bend. I straightened the frame and made the aluminium substitute a touch thinner. I also cut about a 1/16+ off the end of the plastic hook so the arm does not need to be pushed toward the window so much to get into the hook and hopefully not bend the frame.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi Pat, one thing I noticed is that the plastic part's thickness was causing the aluminum window frame to bend. I straightened the frame and made the aluminium substitute a touch thinner. I also cut about a 1/16+ off the end of the plastic hook so the arm does not need to be pushed toward the window so much to get into the hook and hopefully not bend the frame.
Thanks Chris will check that out and make adjustments ! So much nicer then the window slamming shut though . Just like our homes the work never gets finished , always something . Pat
Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #18

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:

Nicely done Chris
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:

Where did you get the aluminum replacement part? I was going to drill a hole but when I saw it was only plastic, reconsidered.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Where did you get the aluminum replacement part? I was going to drill a hole but when I saw it was only plastic, reconsidered.
Hi Paul, I used 5/8" OD square aluminum tube, available at the Metal Supermarket. I cut it the same length as the plastic part, made the holes for bolts with the same spacing as the plastic part and the square hole the same as the original.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_6768.jpg