A "new" fridge problem? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think as long as it is not in operation and off it can be unlevel, but it was mentioned that it had been used on 120v for 3 years and perhaps it was not level then?
Nope; always level. (Sometimes being a compulsive perfectionist pays off ).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So unlevel is not an issue, back to removing debris when possible....
Old 09-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I never thought about the refrigerator needing to be level while stored, only while set up in camp for operating. If unlevel when stored ruins it, some people who purposely do that should take note. There are those who have parked their trailers sloping down to get water off of the middle of the roof where it sits.
It needs to be relatively level when operating because a slope can affect the angle of the pipes that create the absorption cycle - and therefore hinder the cycle. When it's not in use, storing it with a slope is no issue. Length of time in storage doesn't change that.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Glad to have that confirmed. There was a tech guy, who wrote for an RV magazine, who said he ruined his refrigerator by stopping for 20 minutes in a unlevel place to help someone. Always had made sure that it was level when at a campsite but one little stop and ruined. So he must have had it on.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
There was a tech guy, who wrote for an RV magazine, who said he ruined his refrigerator by stopping for 20 minutes in a unlevel place to help someone.
My guess would be that it was very far from level and running of propane; the boiler could perhaps have been burned through on one side by the flame hitting one side. It's hard to imagine how circulation of the refrigerant mix - driven by one of the electric heat sources - could ruin anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My guess would be that it was very far from level and running of propane; the boiler could perhaps have been burned through on one side by the flame hitting one side. It's hard to imagine how circulation of the refrigerant mix - driven by one of the electric heat sources - could ruin anything.
Yep. Had to be something like that. Running it out of level may stop it from cooling properly, but "ruined" in 20 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep. Had to be something like that. Running it out of level may stop it from cooling properly, but "ruined" in 20 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Rich,
With our HOA we've learned if we bring it over Fri nite or Sat morning when their offices are closed and get it back to storage before Mon morning we never hear from them...
I suspect it's hypervigalent neighbors. I'm going to ask for a "reasonableness" standard so they'll allow having the trailer available for early morning departures. We'll see ...
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Just returned from a three-day trip in our 19' where we used propane to cool our RM8551 for the FIRST TIME since we took possession three years ago. The burner came on easily and after driving 6 hours, there was no cooling whatsoever. I let the burner run overnight and at noon, the next day, the temperature INSIDE the unit was 88F (outside was 76F). Ran on 120V last time a month ago and all was well. No smell of ammonia (making me think that the heating element is intact) or any apparent blockage anywhere I could see. Any ideas, I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
I had a similar experience over the past month.
Our RM8551 had worked reliably on propane since we picked it up almost 2 years ago. We lent Tomago to a friend, then two weeks after he returned, I tried to fire up the fridge to cool it down before our next journey. Wouldn't cool on anything!
Flame was there, though kinda small. No go on AC or DC and propane no go, too, so used a cooler for our fridge.
Called Reace and had already tried all his suggestions. Dropped it off at ETI to diagnose. They got it to work on AC & DC, but not propane. They suggested taking it to an authorized Dometic service centre (days left on warranty!). Took it to Fraserway RV in Delta, explaining the story. They tried it on propane, and it worked!! Tried diagnosing issues, but all was ok. Took it home and tried it again myself...and it worked, too! :banged:
Nothing changed, but it seems to be working fine now...touch wood!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
And finally who wouldn't use their electric and gas . 12 volt is useless and always has been . Pat
I am not sure what problem you had running on 12 volts, but we have used 12 volts while traveling about 15,000 miles with the TV and the solar panel charging the batteries and we always arrive at the campground with batteries fully charged and refrigerator cool. 12 volts works for some of us just fine.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I am not sure what problem you had running on 12 volts, but we have used 12 volts while traveling about 15,000 miles with the TV and the solar panel charging the batteries and we always arrive at the campground with batteries fully charged and refrigerator cool. 12 volts works for some of us just fine.
Takes too long to cool down and it does use lot's of battery . You have a newer trailer , maybe not the same refrigerator we have . Even with older Dometic refrigerators spanning over 24 years that worked very well ,we had , gas and 120 was the way to cool refrigerator . In fact could arrive at campground without pre cooling and refrigerator was down to 40 degrees in 5 hours . The newer refrigerator never could get away with that . Have to precool 1-2 days before we leave on a trip . Now if I had a truck frig with a compressor like at home there would be no problem using 12 volts . Still do not have roof solar so wouldn't even chance running batteries down using 12 volts . We use propane when traveling and if hookups 120 . Always bring a cooler for backup . 12volts has never worked for us . Pat
Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Takes too long to cool down and it does use lot's of battery .
12volts has never worked for us .
I suppose it depends on your expectations.

With any of these traditional absorption-cycle RV refrigerators, 12-volt DC operation is intended only to maintain temperature while driving. It's not for pre-cooling at home (so time to cool down is not an issue), where you would use 120V AC or propane; it's not for use while camping, where again you would use 120V AC or propane (so battery capacity should not be a factor).

12 V DC operation is for use while towing, when you don't have shore power and might not want to use propane, or might have difficulty keeping the flame going. For that, it can certainly work and I wish I had it in my motorhome's refrigerator (which, like most larger units, has only 120V AC and propane).
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I suppose it depends on your expectations.

With any of these traditional absorption-cycle RV refrigerators, 12-volt DC operation is intended only to maintain temperature while driving. It's not for pre-cooling at home (so time to cool down is not an issue), where you would use 120V AC or propane; it's not for use while camping, where again you would use 120V AC or propane (so battery capacity should not be a factor).

12 V DC operation is for use while towing, when you don't have shore power and might not want to use propane, or might have difficulty keeping the flame going. For that, it can certainly work and I wish I had it in my motorhome's refrigerator (which, like most larger units, has only 120V AC and propane).
Going back many years many RV refrigerators do not have 12 volt . Nothing new . Wouldn't miss it and don't use it . Pat
Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Going back many years many RV refrigerators do not have 12 volt . Nothing new . Wouldn't miss it and don't use it . Pat
Guess I should add most importantly when we have ever tried 12 volts refrigerator temps start to climb . Why we find it not useful to use . Pat
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #35

Trailer: "The Noble Nest" 2016 Escape 21
Fridge off while travelling.

Last summer (2015) , we did an extended trip in our stickbuilt trailer down the Oregon Coast and back up I-5. Most days on the coast are not scorching but we hit hot weather inland. It had a Dometic fridge (forget the exact model but 2013 vintage) that worked like a charm. It was 120VAC/LP Gas, no 12VDC option.

When we were moving from location to location, we never ran with the fridge on. It would keep the freezer goods frozen and the fridge items cold the entire time. Our travel times were typically 3-5 hrs but as much as 7-8 on occasion.

Was this fridge just an anomaly or have others found this? There seems to be a lot of discussion around running this appliance while traveling. Do most folks find their fridges warm up during travel days to the point that it is detrimental to there frozen goods or items in the fridge?

When we travel on the ferries to the mainland it is mandatory that all LP tanks are turned off in transit. So I never even considered running the fridge while underway until I started reading this forum. Just curious if others who live in a temperate part of the continent have had success only running their fridge once set-up at the campsite?

Cheers,
Ken
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: kendo... A lot of the problems related to the fridge issues are mfg's design changes. Having an external drain line is great...No pan to overflow but warm air can enter the fridge if the evap. cup is dry. Also depends on how well sealed the body of the trailer is... as the MaxxFan can pull cold air from the fridge allowing more warm in. Most of these issues weren't there with the older fridges. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #37

Trailer: "The Noble Nest" 2016 Escape 21
Drain Line

Funny you mention the drain line. Our fridge had one also but not with a cup. What they did was add an extra 2' or so of drain hose, loop it, then exit it out the side vent. it never drained worth a hoot but was always full of condensate.

As far as a "Funfinder" trailer being air tight, I highly doubt it. So maybe these two things = great running fridge. LOL...

May have to look at doing the "Drain Loop" as an alternative should I find the cup always empty and that being a source of warm air into the fridge. It worked before, just not great for draining the tray inside the fridge!

This forum has been a wealth of "Tips and Tricks", all taken with a grain of salt. Everyone's location, camping lifestyles, destinations are different for the most part. But a lot of us have ended up here due to issues well beyond appliances and purchased (or are purchasing) a solid investment in an Escape trailer.

Cheers,
Ken
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post
Last summer (2015) , we did an extended trip in our stickbuilt trailer down the Oregon Coast and back up I-5. Most days on the coast are not scorching but we hit hot weather inland. It had a Dometic fridge (forget the exact model but 2013 vintage) that worked like a charm. It was 120VAC/LP Gas, no 12VDC option.

When we were moving from location to location, we never ran with the fridge on. It would keep the freezer goods frozen and the fridge items cold the entire time. Our travel times were typically 3-5 hrs but as much as 7-8 on occasion.

Was this fridge just an anomaly or have others found this? There seems to be a lot of discussion around running this appliance while traveling. Do most folks find their fridges warm up during travel days to the point that it is detrimental to there frozen goods or items in the fridge?

When we travel on the ferries to the mainland it is mandatory that all LP tanks are turned off in transit. So I never even considered running the fridge while underway until I started reading this forum. Just curious if others who live in a temperate part of the continent have had success only running their fridge once set-up at the campsite?

Cheers,
Ken
Not an anomaly, at least our 3 cubic foot one has always worked like that. I did reinforce the insulation on the top as per Dometic, caulked leaks, and made sure the drain tube has a catch loop. Always travel with it off. Frozen stuff stays frozen. Never any problems.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post

Yes, we find the refrigerator warming up during travel does happen, but on the other hand we've rarely gone from set up in camp to set up in the next one with as little as 8 hours, and never in less than 5 hours.