A real dilemma--used vrs. new - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A real dilemma--used vrs. new

We have a deposit down on a brand new 19 but found a 2009 for sale. The question is, how has the 19 improved since then? Can anyone list how the 2014 version is superior to the 2009. It would be nice to have a trailer built just the way we like and while the money isn't really an issue, but still there's quite a savings buying a used Escape. From the photos we have seen, the 2009 is clean and we could easily live with the interior decorating choices. What we need is a list of pros and cons in order to make an informed decision. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depends on how it was used. Four years of travel can mean new brakes and/or bearings are needed as well as new tires. Inside use perhaps can indicate perhaps a pump but otherwise most appliances will last a lot longer. Just my opinion. Styles have not changed, just options.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Ellentob,
We are in the same situation, trying to decide between new and used. If you don't go for the used one, please let us know how to get in touch with that potential seller.
Bill---hisdad@hotmail
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I was prepared to buy used. If all the appliances work as they're supposed to, they will last years. Just like the ones in my 26 year old Scamp. Tires need to be purchased every five years or so, no matter if you do it right away or every five years thereafter.

As long as no significant damage has been done internally or externally and I could live with most of the decorating, the money saved may be worth it. I often thought I'd see if ETIs upholsterer would recover the cushions (if and when necessary).

If you like everything about the used trailer, I'd say buy it. One thing you can never get back is time. Buying new is going to put you out nearly a full year. You'll never get that back.

Best of luck in your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I thought I read that ETI has made several improvements since 2009:
heavier duty frame?
LED's?
Bigger tires?
Better suspension?
Different mattress?
That sort of thing.
Thanks
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Improvements or changes? Yes there have been changes with bigger frames and tires/wheels. Do these impact on your satisfaction of the product? That is an unknown. Some older Mustangs are a lot more valuable than newer models, but are they as comfortable or reliable? Depends on what you are looking for, there are trade offs.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
We recently had the same dilema on a 17B ( we had not left a deposit though)

I Emailed Tammy at ETI and she sent me a list of changes ( in a remarkably short time too)

It turns out we decided to live with the 2006 model we bought.

The things that help us decide
it was built to last
It was lower cost
It was well cared for
ETI will be there for us if we have any issues
It had most of the options we wanted

i have no long term feedbck though as we only have had it a few weeks and -25 C is a little too chilly to camp
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A quality product stands the test of time. If the used Escape has been treated well and is at a favourable price, then go for it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
A quality product stands the test of time. If the used Escape has been treated well and is at a favourable price, then go for it.
Absolutely, ours is a 2009, and after 5 years does just as good of a job for us as day one. There have been a few changes, but that does not negate the fact that the first ones built were still built to last.

If you can get it at a substantial savings to a new one, definitely go for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We decided to purchase used for a variety of reasons, but one was money. That said, it was also important that Escape makes a great product and I have no concerns about reliability, or customer service (if needed), the trailer is ready and available now as opposed to 9-12 months from now, and we can use the money we saved and travel/camp more!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I just bought a used car, for the same reason of cost savings. The used trailer can make even more sense, because trailer warranties are so short and trailers are so simple (compared to a car) that the trailer being out of the warranty period probably doesn't matter (in contrast, my two-year-old car is still in full warranty). The cars also change even more than the trailers in the same period; I don't think the differences between the 2009 and 2014 Escape would be noticeable compared to those between my 2012 Mazda and a 2014.

If a 2009 trailer needs new bearings, I would wonder about how it was built and used. If it mechanically passes inspection, it has lost little of its original life (given that it's an Escape, not a typical sticks-and-panels RV). It has lost some, as the price should reflect that (and it sounds like it does).

My logic when I bought our 30-year-old trailer was that in the worst case the entire axle and suspension would need replacement, so I allowed for that cost in the considering the value of the trailer. For a 2009 trailer, one could just budget for bearings, brakes, and tires... and if they're not needed, the deal is even better.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Check the tank capacities. Black water capacity has almost doubled over the last couple years. Makes a big difference depending on your camping preferences. Me? I bought new. Not much difference in price since Escape's hold their value but heck for that kind of dough, wouldn't a new one be worth a grand or two?

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
If money isn't the issue then buy new!

We have a "thing" about how someone else treats their vehicles....not to mention their poop in our tank!

Yuck! Just my opinion!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My last 6 cars were used. I bought my Escape new because I had play money. Glad I did. Getting too old to be crawling under the vehicle, etc. Otherwise at those prices never would have happened.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My last 6 cars were used. I bought my Escape new because I had play money. Glad I did. Getting too old to be crawling under the vehicle, etc. Otherwise at those prices never would have happened.
Perhaps buying used cars enabled you to save enough for a new Escape!!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Someone just posted a 2008 19' for sale on another thread. "Any Escapes in Tampa Bay."
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

careful on this one, can't verify any accuracy, requested additional info
Old 02-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
If money isn't the issue then buy new!

We have a "thing" about how someone else treats their vehicles....not to mention their poop in our tank!

Yuck! Just my opinion!
I am supposing then, you never use a public washroom, and have a special one at home for guests.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We bought a 17B last September in Bend, Or. We had the option to buy the demo from ETI, however when comparing the two and factoring in the travel costs to Canada(had to tell the seller we LOVE Canada!)we came to an agreement. Couldn't be happier with our choice-however this one was pampered(garaged)AND had LED lights, and 2 6-Volt batteries. Since we prefer the boondocks that was important. We calculated it saved us $1,000 in travel costs to go from Bend to Canada take delivery, extra sales tax, etc.

You have a lot further travel to Canada than we did so check it out...if it really looks good and meets your needs you will probably be as happy as we are.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Harris... Is the used in the US? If yes, have you factored in the $$$ US - CAN exchange?
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used escape