AC not cooling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Fuse locations/purpose

My AC did not get cold the other day, so when looking thru the book on my Escape 21 it said make sure the AC breaker is on. But, can't find any breaker/fuse diagrams. Nothing is labelled.

Any one know what each fuse location is for? I am not in the unit right now but I believe there are 2 large side fuses (40a), and I think 3 15's and 1 20 plus 3 CB. Any thoughts/ any idea whats for what?

Thanks

Bruce
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 120v items are on circuit breakers, the 12v system are on fuses. All are located inside the brown converter box under the rear dinette seat.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

AC not cooling

Turned on the AC in my 2014 Escape 21 and got no cool air. Don't know much about RV AC - does it take coolant? Book says chk AC Breaker - where is it Nothing's labelled.

Fan blows and is adjustable with speed- got everything on the blue switch side. Air is not hot, just not cooling and definitely not headed to cold. Last time I used it was summer 2017 and it was cold!!!! Any troubleshooting tips/tricks/ thoughts?Local RV shop is 3 to 4 weeks behind, so that is last resort.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

Ok got a reply: breakers for 120v, and fuses for 12 v. But what does each one feed, ie what feeds the AC? And then what does the other one feed? What are the 12 v ones for individually?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Not sure about which breakers/fuses do what in different Escape trailers. I’m sure they’re all different depending on year options, model, year built, etc.
To the AC issue, if it is turning on and running, just not cooling, its not a breaker issue. Unit most likely needs to be serviced as it is something wrong with the AC unit itself. Rubicon is probably one of the best HVAC members on here, maybe he’ll weigh in.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
But can't find any
breaker/fuse diagrams. nothing is labelled.
That's strange. Several owners have posted their circuit breaker labels in discussions about the trailer's electrical configuration, and the fuse labels are similar. Here's an example from the topic 21' electrical photos, provided by Cathy in post #25:

Don't you have similar labels?

That example has one main breaker plus four branch circuit breakers, and there is also a separate box with another two branch circuit breakers; however, the number and purpose of breakers depends on the options you have in your trailer.

If you have the optional inverter with transfer switch (like Cathy has) there is a separate box under a dinette seat (lift the seat for access) with (probably) two more breakers - I don't know if those two are labelled. Is this the unlabelled breakers that you are seeing? The main circuit breaker and air conditioner's circuit breaker would be in the main power centre (the brown box) anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think it would be a good idea to have one thread for this one issue, since people are putting time and effort into providing the same information in both this thread and Fuse locations/purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
To the AC issue, if it is turning on and running, just not cooling, its not a breaker issue. Unit most likely needs to be serviced as it is something wrong with the AC unit itself. Rubicon is probably one of the best HVAC members on here, maybe he’ll weigh in.
Well I'm an engineer and not an HVAC tech so not sure how much help I can be. We know it has power. Does the unit have onboard controls at the ceiling only or is it wired to a thermostat on the wall? A picture of the unit and thermostat if applicable would help.

Do you hear the compressor kick on? Or do you only hear the fan?

Occasionally these overhead units do leak. You might be able to find a local residential HVAC tech that will look at it rather than trying for an overbooked and expensive RV specific place.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/dead-ac-12334.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Threads merged as suggested...
Old 10-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Site Team

here's the panel on my 21. note I added a few fuses at the bottom for additional DC circuits.

the two unlabled 40A fuses are the main DC output of the converter.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #11

It was suppose to be 2 separate threads
for the reason you mentioned
don't know how they got combined
Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
1) Bad compressor
2) Bad cooling control
3) Bad Capacitor
4 ) Plugged cooling coils - coils froze up
5 ) Low on Freon
6) Tstat Bad or not calling
7 ) Tripped freeze sensor
8) Faulty or defective wiring in unit

There is a wiring diagram on the Internet
The circuitry is not that complicated
If it’s low on Freon then you will need to go to an HVAC shop and have them solder in a valve
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote