Activating transfer switch/outlets on 2015 21’ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Activating transfer switch/outlets on 2015 21’

We have a 150w solar panel/Samlex 1500 inverter/ all outlet set up on our 2015,but have not been able to figure out how to get power to the outlets. The lovely lady we bought it from had no idea how to work anything. We have camped using just solar for our lights but now want to do more boondocking and make use of the features.When I turn on the remote panel on the dinette side I get input but no output readings. I tried the YouTube videos, but Escape now uses a different inverter and solar controller. Our controller is Samlex SCC-30AB.
The lights on the inverter itself shows all green lights, no alarms. We tried unplugging the inverter to get to the GFCI in case it is tripped. Is there a switch I need to flip somewhere? Or a setting on the solar controller?
Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Should be a switch easily accessed mounted somewhere!

Check to see if the switch on the fan end of the samlex is set to EXT and that there are wires going out to the external switch.

You can download the manual here: https://www.samlexamerica.com/produc...l.aspx?pid=503

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’ve got a 2014 with the 1500 watt inverter and transfer switch. On the 9 week trip home from the factory, the inverter switch went bad. We (Reace & I) finally were able to determine the transfer switch went bad, by plugging directly into the inverter and getting 110 volts out. Reace sent me a new transfer switch and all has been good since.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We have a 2018. The inverter is on the passenger side, it is plugged into the transfer switch which is about 3" away.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
The solar panel and solar controller have nothing to do with the inverter or 120 volt power, they just keep the battery charged. The inverter is connected to the battery and increases the 12V battery power to 120 volts. Normally this inverter is connected to just one outlet. This was typically an outlet closest to the inverter. If you have an automatic transfer switch (another option), then the power is transferred to all outlets automatically. Start with the inverter. Make sure that the flexible cord with a plug on the end (typically household 120 volt plug) is plugged into the inverter where it belongs. There is a rocker switch on the inverter itself. Make sure that is on. There might be a remote switch for the inverter as well (another option). If you have that option, turn that on as well. Its a little push button under the table. Check the plug under the table for power. If that works then you've got juice. If you have an automatic transfer switch, then all the plugs will be live.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #6

Thank you to everyone for all the info! We are still troubleshooting but had to pack the camper away until after the holidays...sigh....Our inverter is hard to access because the back of it is under the battery box (weird) and such a tight fit on the front that’s we can’t unplug it to get to the GFCI-hoping that was the problem. Looks like we will need to pull the battery box, check the inverter, then unscrew it from the floor and try to reposition it so that the reset plug is accessible. If that doesn’t work we will keep going down the list of suggestions. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
Thank you to everyone for all the info! We are still troubleshooting but had to pack the camper away until after the holidays...sigh....Our inverter is hard to access because the back of it is under the battery box (weird) and such a tight fit on the front that’s we can’t unplug it to get to the GFCI-hoping that was the problem. Looks like we will need to pull the battery box, check the inverter, then unscrew it from the floor and try to reposition it so that the reset plug is accessible. If that doesn’t work we will keep going down the list of suggestions. Thanks again!
Sounds like the inverter was not installed by Escape. Previously owned?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #8

We are the second owners, but it is on the build sheet with transfer switch for all outlets and remote. It is a 2015. I doubt it has ever been used!
Old 05-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

Friends, I at it again trying to figure out our problem as camping season for us starts again. Remote shows battery power but no bar graph, light is dim. Inverter has 1 green light, which seems to indicate a tripped GFCI. We have reset both the exterior outlet on the camper and the inverter one while plugged to shore power. Nothing. We can’t see the back side of the inverter as the battery box is over it-weird. Also the previous owner cut the wire to the carbon monoxide detector-would that trip it? We did the reset with no load, made sure everything was off and unplugged. Our controller from 2015 is Samlex so no AC indicator built in. We are camped in a no cell service area but I will be driving to town to check for any ideas you can provide. Hope the photos help. Thank you all!!
Attached Thumbnails
7A1040DE-DF70-4B20-945A-CF967A69F7F4.jpg   517EA440-10A3-425A-AD52-623803E3A165.jpg   C5E00C1E-29EA-4C1D-8D0C-7662DD47A3F5.jpg   26ED5B29-983A-461D-8418-F67D5A9D6B9Ca.jpg  
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 E19
Inverotr receptacle

Pure guessing here.............

Do you have anything plugged in to use the inverter 110v output?

No demand, no output?

Maybe try plugging something in to the unused plug receptacle shown on the inverter?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #11

Tried plugging directly into inverter, no power out. Rats.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you haven't already tried, disconnect the remote cable from the inverter, turn the on/off switch off for a couple of minutes, then turn it on again. That will eliminate the remote as a problem.

According to the manual, the LEDs are showing an open GFCI. The only way to check that it has failed is to check the input voltage to the GFCI, which means opening the inverter.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Perhaps your install is different from that in our 2019 E21 but in our trailer, to turn on the inverter, you press and hold the "button" with the icon of a plug for 3 seconds and the inverter will turn on and power up the outlets. You can tell if you got the inverter turned on because an icon of a plug will appear on the small LCD screen of the controller. No other switches to turn. It will not turn on if you are connected to your tow vehicle. To turn the inverter off again, just repeat the procedure.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
According to the manual, the LEDs are showing an open GFCI. The only way to check that it has failed is to check the input voltage to the GFCI, which means opening the inverter.
Jon: The GFI outlet on the inverter looks like it has a traditional test/reset button set up. Could it be as simple as hitting the reset button on the outlet?
Old 05-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #15

I had hoped just pushing the reset on the inverter would be the answer. I have pushed it multiple times-it goes in pretty far but no click or indicator that it has reset. Should I hear one? Or feel some resistance?
Our controller does not have the AC indicator/symbol that newer models have.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
I had hoped just pushing the reset on the inverter would be the answer. I have pushed it multiple times-it goes in pretty far but no click or indicator that it has reset. Should I hear one? Or feel some resistance?
Our controller does not have the AC indicator/symbol that newer models have.
Hit the 'Test' on the GFCI on the inverter you should hear a click. Then push the 'Reset' you should feel back pressure until it resets.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Perhaps your install is different from that in our 2019 E21 but in our trailer, to turn on the inverter, you press and hold the "button" with the icon of a plug for 3 seconds and the inverter will turn on and power up the outlets. You can tell if you got the inverter turned on because an icon of a plug will appear on the small LCD screen of the controller. No other switches to turn. It will not turn on if you are connected to your tow vehicle. To turn the inverter off again, just repeat the procedure.
Chama
I've never thought about it but my inverter works while TV connected. I have a relay that kills the power to the charging pin when engine not running tho. I'm going to try the inverter with TV engine running when I use it next week.

Don't know why it would not work but Just curious now, it won't really matter either way for me.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #18

Problem solved

It has taken awhile, but we now have all outlets working. It took a factory reset of the inverter. Also, our remote under the dinette is defective -the little button doesn’t pop,out- so a replacement is in the works! We are so excited to be able to boondock soon! Thank you for all the tips to try! We feel like a whole new set of possibilities has opened up for us now!
Old 12-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
... to turn on the inverter, you press and hold the "button" with the icon of a plug for 3 seconds and the inverter will turn on and power up the outlets.
It will not turn on if you are connected to your tow vehicle.
This makes no sense to me. Plugging into the tow vehicle makes no difference to the AC power system, and does nothing to the DC power system other than possibly raising the voltage... which should not be an issue for the inverter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote