Adding extra to the dinette cushions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Adding extra to the dinette cushions

Has anyone added some additional cushioning to the stock dinette cushions? It never occurred to me to have them thicker to start with (not sure if they would have done so anyway). But, after using the trailer and sitting on the u-shape reading, I've discovered after a length of time I would like more cushioning on them.

(And yeah, already have some supplied by nature/age/food/etc - so no comments in that area are necessary. Nor do I need any comments on how you never use your dinette as you're always outside. Well, you use your trailer the way you want and I'll use it the way I want, which is reading in the quiet away from skeeters and other bugs.)

I know I can get some foam from upholstery stores and/or JoAnns. But I'm curious if anyone has done so and any pros/cons on doing so. I have enough extra cushion fabric that I can easily put some fabric around the foam, even if I just hot glue it in place instead of getting someone to sew normal cushion covers (which is more than I want to do on my machine).

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 17
The hypervent added extra cush under ours. I wonder if two layers of it would add enough you are looking for, it would be an easy experiment. Just tossing an idea out there.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Has anyone added some additional cushioning to the stock dinette cushions? It never occurred to me to have them thicker to start with (not sure if they would have done so anyway). But, after using the trailer and sitting on the u-shape reading, I've discovered after a length of time I would like more cushioning on them.

(And yeah, already have some supplied by nature/age/food/etc - so no comments in that area are necessary. Nor do I need any comments on how you never use your dinette as you're always outside. Well, you use your trailer the way you want and I'll use it the way I want, which is reading in the quiet away from skeeters and other bugs.)

I know I can get some foam from upholstery stores and/or JoAnns. But I'm curious if anyone has done so and any pros/cons on doing so. I have enough extra cushion fabric that I can easily put some fabric around the foam, even if I just hot glue it in place instead of getting someone to sew normal cushion covers (which is more than I want to do on my machine).

Thanks
Laura we added 2 in more to cushions . Eventually will redo cushions to be one . We added a cover to 2 in . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
The hypervent added extra cush under ours. I wonder if two layers of it would add enough you are looking for, it would be an easy experiment. Just tossing an idea out there.
I have the hypervent on there already and don't have enough extra to try two layers. I wish I had known the hypervent would take up extra space when adding it behind the cushions as I would have asked if the cushions I got could have been a smidge smaller. Although, if they would have charged me for it, I would have declined. As it is now, the cushions mush up against each other a bit, but I try to ignore the fact they're not smooth. And toss a pillow over the worse parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Laura we added 2 in more to cushions . Eventually will redo cushions to be one . We added a cover to 2 in . Pat
Did you notice less butt fatigue after you did that? I was thinking 2", so that's good to hear someone else did the same. Is it super firm foam? Or less? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I have the hypervent on there already and don't have enough extra to try two layers. I wish I had known the hypervent would take up extra space when adding it behind the cushions as I would have asked if the cushions I got could have been a smidge smaller. Although, if they would have charged me for it, I would have declined. As it is now, the cushions mush up against each other a bit, but I try to ignore the fact they're not smooth. And toss a pillow over the worse parts.

Did you notice less butt fatigue after you did that? I was thinking 2", so that's good to hear someone else did the same. Is it super firm foam? Or less? Thanks.
You do not need the hypervent on the vertical cushions, just the horizontal ones when used as a bed.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:

Laura will send you some pictures . Gives us 6 in and the 2 in is a high quality foam . Give me awhile I am in the middle of something . Much better for seating . Pat
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do not need the hypervent on the vertical cushions, just the horizontal ones when used as a bed.
I shoved it all around the dinette cushions as we figured it was better to have it and not really need it than to need it and not have it. And discover much later there were issues with not having it. I also put it around the bottom and sides of the bed. But below the top of the bed as that stuff is murder on your fingers if they rub against it during the night.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Hi
We did this with our boat cushions and u won't be sorry! We had 1 1/2 inch memory foam spray glued on to the top of the foam. I use this in the v berth to sleep on and it's just as comfortable as my tempurpedic mattress at home!
Old 06-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I shoved it all around the dinette cushions as we figured it was better to have it and not really need it than to need it and not have it. And discover much later there were issues with not having it. I also put it around the bottom and sides of the bed. But below the top of the bed as that stuff is murder on your fingers if they rub against it during the night.
Laura going to send you some pictures in a minute . Pat
Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Laura going to send you some pictures in a minute . Pat
Got 'em, thanks Pat.

Whenever I get around to figuring out what I want to do, I'll post photos here in case others want to see.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
Hi
We did this with our boat cushions and u won't be sorry! We had 1 1/2 inch memory foam spray glued on to the top of the foam. I use this in the v berth to sleep on and it's just as comfortable as my tempurpedic mattress at home!
Thanks for this! Yeah, I'm thinking I won't regret it. I just need to see what's out there and figure out how much I need.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW, I tried a higher density foam from a local upholstery shop, it was like sitting on wood. The guy a the shop told me the original was a medium. I have found that sitting on a some what folded up throw blanket makes a big difference, I no longer sink through.

I was thinking of trying 2" of the high density topped by 2" of the medium, but haven't gotten to it yet.