Adjusting Dometic Electric Awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes my front was out about 1" as was the rear, both now flush. I notice the front has an extra large washer?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reace suggested a star type lock washer under the nut. When I was working on ours, I also noticed that the washer under the nut was not biting well on one side of the track it slides in. I made a custom washer to remedy that.

I had talked with Dometic about it not closing fully on each end and they told me to take it to a local RV place that is an authorized dealer. They looked at it and said that some are just like that and did nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0460.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We've fiddled with this adjustment at least 8 times and it's still not closing properly. Had to take a lunch break. So frustrating.

I've also tried reprogramming the remote/motor/awning and it's not working properly either. Following instructions in the awning manual. Fabric is still not tight.

Very frustrated right now.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

Trailer: None now
As far as adjusting the motor. Remember I said it would be frustrating. You need to slightly over shoot the adjustment. When you save the setting it moves in which means the fabric droops. Of course when you go a bit further out it also droops. So go a little further and hopefully you will hit the sweet spot.
Also do not try adjusting the motor until you get both sides where they go in equally. You have to have that right or you will never get both sides of the fabric the same.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
As far as adjusting the motor. Remember I said it would be frustrating. You need to slightly over shoot the adjustment. When you save the setting it moves in which means the fabric droops. Of course when you go a bit further out it also droops. So go a little further and hopefully you will hit the sweet spot.
Also do not try adjusting the motor until you get both sides where they go in equally. You have to have that right or you will never get both sides of the fabric the same.
Ah, okay.

Anyway, just sent an email to Reace asking if I can bring the trailer up there to adjust the awning. We've spent over 2 hours today trying to adjust it. It'll get off in the back. Then it's correct in the back. Then it's off again in the back. Then it clanks when it shuts. Meanwhile the front is never closer than before in getting closed. Many times it was farther out. Right now it's back to how it was when this all started, with the front end out about an inch and the back/middle areas snugged up.

Dirk is afraid of stripping the screws. Not good. So, we'll see what Reace says.

I've been wanting to camp on Whidbey Island, so I guess this will be a good excuse to do so in the very near future.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #26

Being so close, that would be my decision to have Escape work on it.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being so close, that would be my decision to have Escape work on it.
Reace knows way more than two different Dometic service providers I have talked with about adjusting these awnings...

And Reace knows more than the phone support people at Dometic that one of those guys talked with.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #28

I wish we could go to the source for issues.
While you are there ask him if a star washer would stop movement of the arms
Before I take that step and loosen the bolt I want to make sure it's worth it. And does he have an idea of what would be a good torque setting for them?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I wish we could go to the source for issues.
While you are there ask him if a star washer would stop movement of the arms
Before I take that step and loosen the bolt I want to make sure it's worth it. And does he have an idea of what would be a good torque setting for them?
I'll ask! I was waiting to hear back from them and did this afternoon. Going up there later this week to get it fixed. I want to take photos of what all he's doing so we'll know what to do in the future. Or at least do it properly. Or whatever.

We're still frustrated by it all.

Will report back when I get home.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Maybe a video instead of photos?

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Any update on how you made out?
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
Any update on how you made out?
Thanks for the reminder! Been busy getting ready and selling at Christmas craft shows. Zipped out today and took some photos.

Okay, here's the situation. Turns out we *never* would have gotten the awning adjusted correctly since we *also* had to adjust the motor thingie on the awning against the side of the trailer (first 2 photos). It had slid over (forget which way), which we weren't aware of. Reace added some screws to keep it from sliding over (so it probably slid to the outside since that's where the screws are).

I would strongly advise *everyone* with the new awning to do the same, just in case the same thing happens to you. I don't know if ETI added this screw later on and since we were one of the early 2nd Gen trailers, we didn't get it due to them not knowing it was needed. Or what. Just look at yours to see if you have it and if not, add it. It's the screw up at the top of the motor, not the lower one.

Ignore the black marks next to the screws in the photos as Reace said Dometic put them there. ETI didn't, nor have we. We do plan to remove those marks and put in our own.

So, once the motor thingie was adjusted correctly, they were able to adjust the outside part (on the awning area that sticks out - yeah, real technical, I know). As well as the remote, which wouldn't have been able to get reset correctly until the awning was going in and out correctly. It was staying in programmable mode (I think that's what Reace said, but I could be remembering incorrectly after this much time).

I'm glad ETI was able to look at the trailer quickly and figured out what was wrong. I was there for several hours and they had lots of rigs in that day. Chatted with another couple that was getting some work done, as well as a couple that were there to get their new 21. And another couple that were thinking of getting one. Even got to show off the trailer once they brought it back (the gals wanted to see the custom additions) and everyone admired the cat decals (even Reace). And the tire cover!

Heck if I know when I'll be able to use the awning. I hope to take the trailer out one more time, but we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00408.jpg   DSC00409.jpg   DSC00410.jpg   DSC00411.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Some more info on the awning regarding rain concerns. ETI sent this to me this morning:

"A llittle more information on the electric awning. The awning is supposed to have a rain dumping system however, in our opinion it does not work. Which is why we have created a decal advising customers to close the awning when not in use avoiding damage if the rain pools. Dometic is aware of this problem and is working on the adjustment of the awning."
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Saw this a bit late..

I'm glad I saw this thread in passing. After our last trip at the end of October I was cleaning things up, and when the awning retracted for the last time it somehow managed to hook one of the plastic end caps as it approached the little landing rail at the side of the trailer. It broke the cap an gave me a bit of a start. managed to bend the cracked part back into place and retracted the awning.
ETI sent us a pair of replacement caps, which I have yet to install. Now I know what to look for in the way of adjustments.
When closed, ours isn't as flush as photos I see in this thread. We'll get it right.
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #35

BTW, Escape is installing longer guide clips now, I'm not sure when they started, but they sent me 2 more longer guides to replace my original short ones.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #36

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fournier View Post
I would have been more impressed if they showed it retract smoothly after the test.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I would have been more impressed if they showed it retract smoothly after the test.
I'd be more impressed if the one we use had done that. Ours while up on Amelia Island was subjected to a sudden microburst that blew the awning up up and over the roof. It never went into retraction even though it still was set with the factory sensitivity. I had tested it before and shaking it up and down about a foot for awhile had caused it to retract when tested.

It pulled the cable out of the mechanism and sheared the hinge part on the door side of the awning. They replaced the arm assembly and the motor assembly for that side and made the shake sensor a lot more sensitive. We retract when we leave or go to bed and if it is raining. While I like the ease of just pushing a button to move the awning I do wish it was not so fragile.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #39

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
I'm not impressed either, but I'm not disabused either, I'm only a little more mix up, I have to enter in my build list the model of awning we choose,

I do not really know which one to choose. truly not .
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Wait. You get a choice of awnings on the new models? If so, which awning models are an option? I've searched the forums and can't find any reference to choices ... (I happen to be one that loves the old awning -- and the screen room.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote