Adjusting trailer brakes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Adjusting trailer brakes

A month ago we got our new Escape 19 and since then have driven approximately 500 miles with it in tow. I thought I should adjust the brakes so reviewed various YouTube videos. Looks quite straight forward.

After jacking up the trailer and crawling underneath, my trailer does not seem to have the same setup I saw in the videos. There isn’t a plastic cap to remove to access a manual adjust turn wheel. There are two slots, neither covered.

Is it possible that Escape is now using the Dexter Never Adjust brakes? Are my hubs, with two adjacent and uncovered slots indicative a the Never Adjust brakes?

I never adjusted the brakes on our old Casita. I had it serviced at our local trailer shop. I want to be more self sufficient now.

TIA
R.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21C
It seems that Dexter no longer installs the caps. The adjuster is reached through one of the oval holes you saw. If you have never adjusted manual brakes before it takes some learning and a bit of finesse to get them properly adjusted. If you can get someone with experience to help you do it the first time it will be much easier.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
For some reason, Dexter does not ship axles to ETI with plugs, nor does ETI plug the access ports. On the E19, there are a total of 8, two per wheel. The only reason I can assume that Dexter has two per brake is that way Dexter does not need to manufacture separate left and right side brake mounting plates. Hence one of the access holes per brake is redundant since it does not align with the adjustment mechanism. On my 2017 E19, I purchased 8 aftermarket standard drum brake plugs. Just get yourself a brake tool like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Thanks for the input. I figured it out. I wasn't expecting 2 oval access holes, but of course it makes sense that Dexter uses the same shell for both left and right drum. I'll pick up some plugs at our local trailer shop.

I've adjusted the brakes for a slight bit of audible noise and drag from rotation. Based on You Tube videos, that seems about right.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Adjustment seems correct from your description. The brake plate holes on my E19 were the same size as most vehicles. Hence, Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. will have the plugs you need.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Adjustment seems correct from your description. The brake plate holes on my E19 were the same size as most vehicles. Hence, Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. will have the plugs you need.
At my Dexter Dealer, Midwest Wheel in the big town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the plugs are Dexter Part number DX046-007-00 and they cost $.37 each.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E19'
A couple of layers of good old duct tape stays nicely in place from one bearing repack / brake adjustment to the next. Just clean the crud off your backing plates and slap it on. Save yourself a buck-n-a-half.

Duct Tape Dave
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote