Aerospace 303: help? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have been using 303 on plastic stuff for some time now, but have been less than impressed with the shine it gives on my fiberglass trailer. I will stick with wax for now.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Not meant to give any shine. It's a matt finish. We want the anti-UV value.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Not meant to give any shine. It's a matt finish. We want the anti-UV value.
Exactly. My 19' has such a great shine to it, I don't need to dullen it by using 303 on it. Especially when there are other wax products that work very well.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
My trailer is kept clean after trips and stored inside so it still has a nice factory shine. The fading of the graphics can happen fairly quickly particularly with red. My second Casita was stored under a roof with the south side facing the sun daily. The finish and graphics were totally shot while the other side looked brand new. Sun can do a quick number on fiberglass.

My 303 order went out today. If Amazon/UPS is quick, I can look forward to getting this project done on Saturday. I'm curious about the BTS protectorant but heck, 303 will get 'er done nicely (enough).

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
The fading of the graphics can happen fairly quickly particularly with red
You're right, and that's a sign that the graphic film manufacturer didn't use lightfast pigments. Most reds can be produced with oxides instead of the more vivid pigments like pthalos, but the manufacturer decided for whatever reason not to use them. Sure enough, once a little UV light hits the non-oxide pigment, it begins to fade. A few years back they painted the brand new San Antonio Public Library with a non-lightfast red, and within 6 months the building turned pink. The contractor had to repaint it at their own expense.

303 is a great choice for the red graphics. It won't eliminate eventual fading of a non-lightfast color, but it will drastically reduce it.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
From my experience, if the gel gloss is shiny to start with the 303 will keep it that way.

The mat-like finish is more what I got from using it on our very oxidized kevlar canoe when we bought it. It had been in a shed with one side exposed to the sun for years, and the green was VERY faded on that side.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #27

After reading comments, I thought I'd try the BTS protectant. After all, I'm try to protect my nice shiny trailer, might as well start with a protectant that compliments it. We'll see how it works. Good reviews from the boating community. I'll also give a whirl on my hot tub and the resin skirting.

Thanks all for the input,

Greg
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I like the idea that 303 actually penetrates in and keeps the gel coat like new, when used from the start, rather than a coating of wax on the surface. But I'm stuck with wax now that I started with it, as I'm not ambitious enough to somehow take all the wax off, nor do I want to leave it unprotected waiting for the wax to wear off.

I've also read that 303 helps keep headlight lens covers from yellowing and getting cloudy. I've been using it on our new car, so we'll see.
We have never used wax so no problem with the 303.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
My trailer is kept clean after trips and stored inside so it still has a nice factory shine. The fading of the graphics can happen fairly quickly particularly with red. My second Casita was stored under a roof with the south side facing the sun daily. The finish and graphics were totally shot while the other side looked brand new. Sun can do a quick number on fiberglass.

My 303 order went out today. If Amazon/UPS is quick, I can look forward to getting this project done on Saturday. I'm curious about the BTS protectorant but heck, 303 will get 'er done nicely (enough).

Greg
Save a little for your new Engel fridge!..
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #30

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Bow to Stern protectant was mentioned a few times in this tread and was wondering if those who used it can still recommend it? I am considering making the switch. I believe that it can also be used on the awning as well as other surfaces. Thanks, Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Bow to Stern protectant was mentioned a few times in this tread and was wondering if those who used it can still recommend it? I am considering making the switch. I believe that it can also be used on the awning as well as other surfaces. Thanks, Bob
I'm on my second bottle. Trailer still looks new. Like it. To each his (or her) own but I wanted something shiny rather than the matte finish folks tended to encounter with 303.

PS- I want to prevent fading of my scarlet red graphics and use Armorall UV Protectant Gel on the graphics. Goes on like a gel, next day its dry and I buff it shiny with a cotton towel. I've been using it for years on my spa cover that's in the sun all day and it still looks new.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #32

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Hi Bob, I use 303 on my old roadster as it protects all interior vinyl from sun when top is down and rubber and vinyl moldings on exterior.

The gel I will wax, 303 trim only.

I like it and plan on using on my new trailer as well. It was recommended to me by a bunch of guys that do detailing on private planes.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Ok, I've got a good coat of wax on the gel-coat and it looks great. I've got some Aerospace 303 protectant for all plastic parts, and I bought the Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard for the awning. When I read the label for the Fabric Guard it warns,"Do Not Use On Vinyl, Clear Vinyl, etc."
I know some folks have used the Protectant on their awning and others have used the Fabric Guard on their awnings. What is the experience of those who have used the Fabric Guard on the awning? Is Fabric Guard the correct choice for the awning or should I use the Protectant?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Steve, I have used both on the awning. I'm not really sure how much difference there is - or it they just make more labels to sell more.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I checked Carefree web site for their maintenance recommendation and came up blank.
The tag on the awning itself says soap and water and a soft brush.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have called Carefree and their customer support echoed what is written on the label. Only use soap and water. My issue was with pine pitch on the awning.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Eric, Glenn, and Paul,

Thank-You very much! That makes it easy!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #38

In my experience with it, the 303 really helps the awning stay cleaner and I think I helps prevent UV degradation over time. YMMV

Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
In my experience with it, the 303 really helps the awning stay cleaner and I think I helps prevent UV degradation over time. YMMV
The problem is that we don't have a control group in this study.
You might have to buy two 21's and do a proper examination.

One needs to know how the awning was used, under what conditions and how long it was deployed and stored.

My awning is almost 8 years old and looks pretty decent, but it's not pristine. I used Scrubbing Bubbles on it once but rinsed it immediately and thoroughly. I was worried the stitches would be eaten, like my t-shirt was.

I'm wary of applying anything since Carefree says 'mild soap and water'.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #40

Glenn - sounds like you have a great science project lined up!