Air conditioner dripping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Air conditioner dripping

Our air conditioner in our 2010 Escape 19 is dripping from the ceiling vent closest to the stove. It is very humid here in Iowa but we have never had this problem before. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for fixing it? Thanks.

Rita and Dave Smith
Atkins Iowa
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Our air conditioner in our 2010 Escape 19 is dripping from the ceiling vent closest to the stove. It is very humid here in Iowa but we have never had this problem before. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for fixing it? Thanks.

Rita and Dave Smith
Atkins Iowa
The bolts that compress the gasket around the A/C unit sometimes loosen over time, as the gasket shrinks slightly or is compressed. They can be accessed from the inside of the trailer by removing the vent shroud. If you snug them up, the dripping should be diverted to the outside where it belongs.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
rfs

I'll go down and see what I can do. It's about 88 degrees in the metal building with 90 percent humidity. Where did I leave my ice blue secret
And my man card?
Dave
Old 07-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, to what Robert stated, tighten all 4 equally, there is a visible line in the foam you compress it down to, happened to my 19.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
As the AC runs ice or frost will form on the evaporator, the AC unit is designed to cycle on on off to allow this to thaw or else the entire evaporator will be a solid block of ice. This is essentially how an AC unit dehumidifies the air. There will be a drain hose incorporated into the AC design to allow this water to drain off, if the drain is plugged with debris, leaves, etc then the water will drain wherever and in this case it is going into the trailer (sorry). I have no idea where the drain is as I have not worked on these units but it will be there, maybe contact ETI.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

The drain is your trailer sides, depending on which way it is tilted.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The drain is your trailer sides, depending on which way it is tilted.
This is true but I have seen some some where there is a small trough incorporated into the lower pan and when the drain is plugged it can run into the vent rather than to the outside and down the trailer side.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

I believe our a/c openings are raised at the edges as this who do not get a/c get another vent. Now if the unit is not properly tightened then the foam will suck the liquid inside.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

If the seal is leaking it will usually also leak when raining.
I am not saying that the base seal is not leaking but my experience with AC is usually associated with problems with the drain, followed but dirty condenser and/or evaporator which will hold the water. The AC unit should be cleaned thoroughly as part of the regular maintenance. Since the OP's AC is now 5 years old the mounting bolts should be checked for tightness and the seal tested with a garden hose around the perimeter, but also the cover should be removed and the evaporator and condenser coils cleaned, the efficiency of the AC will then be maintained.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
rfs

I gave the bolt heads all about 1 1/4 turns. I could see the foam compress slightly. After a couple of hora of running we still had a few drops. We washed the roof pretty thoroughly when we got back from Osouoos
And did not have any leaks. We'll be camping without hookups for the next couple of days so we won't be using AC and will look more closely at it when we get back. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. additionally my meter on the surge protector showed 13 and 14 amp draw when the AC was running on high this afternoon. Line voltage was between 114 and 122.
Thanks
Dave.