Air Conditioner For 19' - Large Enough? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Air Conditioner For 19' - Large Enough?

I'm a little gun shy about air conditioning units because my last travel trailer had an air conditioner that didn't cool well when it was hot outside. Go figure. I understand that air conditioners are designed to cool down to X degrees relative to the ambient temperature, but my previous air conditioner didn't even do that.

Are the air conditioners that come standard on the 19' sufficient? I have to assume they are for most or all situations. Is a larger air conditioner even an option?

Thanks -- Jeff
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
During our return trip from the factory, we camped in temps of around 100 degrees and the air conditioner had no trouble keeping the trailer cool. We did have the double pane windows & extra insulation installed when the trailer was build.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would second what Kevin and Barbara said. The extra insulation and thermal windows make a big difference.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
He had our trailer parked at our daughter's for about a week and on two of the days, the temperature at her house hit well over 100º. When we went to pick the trailer up the following week, she laughed and said our air conditioner worked great! Since they don't have A/C in their house, they plugged in the trailer and she and the kids sat out there, cooling off and watching DVDs. (We also have the extra insulation and thermal windows.)
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We camped in Montana @ 36-38 celcius and it worked just fine, we also had the dual pane windows, spray foam and extra insulation. I will say I am looking forward to having the digital t-stat in our 21 so the fan will not run when the ac cylcles off
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey King View Post
I'm a little gun shy about air conditioning units because my last travel trailer had an air conditioner that didn't cool well when it was hot outside. Go figure. I understand that air conditioners are designed to cool down to X degrees relative to the ambient temperature, but my previous air conditioner didn't even do that.

Are the air conditioners that come standard on the 19' sufficient? I have to assume they are for most or all situations. Is a larger air conditioner even an option?

Thanks -- Jeff
About the best you can expect is 20-25 degrees below outside temp. I WOULD recommend that you look at a discussion on previous posts about the digital thermostat. Without the digital thermostat, the compressor will cycle but the fan WILL NOT, it stays on. The fiberglass roof amplifies the noise so spend the extra bucks for the digital which will also shut down the fan. It doesn't do any good to be cool if you can't stand the noise inside to be there.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another vote here for the dual pane windows and extra body insulation. A/C and furnace both run much less frequently to do their jobs and the reduction in outside noise is wonderful!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
About the best you can expect is 20-25 degrees below outside temp. I WOULD recommend that you look at a discussion on previous posts about the digital thermostat. Without the digital thermostat, the compressor will cycle but the fan WILL NOT, it stays on. The fiberglass roof amplifies the noise so spend the extra bucks for the digital which will also shut down the fan. It doesn't do any good to be cool if you can't stand the noise inside to be there.
With the extra insulation, dual pane windows and underneath foam we can keep our 19 at 72° inside in 110° weather. (Although we don't usually keep it that cool.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote