air conditioning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
air conditioning

I'm not sure which power source the roof mount air conditioner works off of. I have ordered a trailer with a.c. Does it run direct from shore power only, or is it from the 12 volt system. If it is 12 volt what is the draw? I've ordered the 2-6v batteries, and wonder about using the a.c. for extended periods.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Mine only works on 110 vac. I have the fan in the ceiling and it is on 12 vdc.
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The AC runs off 110V AC - either "shore" power or a generator. It does not run off 12V DC.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Thanks for the info!!
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As an aside, the reason that it runs off of only 120V is because of the draw that A/C requires for cooling, combined with the length of time required for cooling. It is possible with a large enough inverter (converts 120V AC to 12V DC) to run your A/C. but it would suck your dual batteries down in very short order.

If you are boondocking most of the time, A/C does you no good, unless you are willing to run a gen set to use it. As we rarely are hooked to the grid, we opted to not install it for the time being, and have been okay without it even in hot climates, though there are a couple days we sure would have used it if we had it, but the Maxx Fan and an open window over our head sufficed quite well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We opted for an extra Maxx fan over the dinette instead of air conditioning. Works a treat ..... and you can have the windows and door open (why else camp?) and carry on a conversation and be heard! :-)
The hottest we've been in so far is about 30 degrees in the BC interior and it did the job.
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #7

If you stay in BC for the most part air conditioning likely isn't going to be required. If you plan on traveling south (and not that far south), at times air conditioning is an essential and well worth the extra expense.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have both the Maxx fan & the AC in my 17B. I've fount the Maxx fan provides great air movement that makes the trailer comfortable most of the time. I do admit I have felt the need to move from dry campsites to campgrounds with electric hookups on a couple of occasions where the temperatures exceeded 100°F for more than a couple of days...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' OTW
Hi All,
My wife likes the dessert and I'm planning on doing some dry camping at some sites there, and along 395 on the east side of the sierras. Air will be really nice to have there. I have the Honda 2000i generator, and was wondering if any have experiences with this gen and one of the air conditioners offered by escape. I think the polar cub will run fine, but I'm not sure how this unit looks on the trailer. Anyone have any pictures of that air conditioner one of the escape trailers?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The loudest complaints I heard about running my Honda 1000 generator came from my wife. I was running it for an hour a day to charge the battery ( don't have AC ).
I don't want to imagine the noise level if I were to run a generator all day or night, along with AC, and my wife's loud objections.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
maybe the a/c would drown out your wife's objections!!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' OTW
Hi,

I was asking about pictures of the polar cub unit offered installed by escape. How long I use the air conditioner isn't the issue here. I can put ear plugs in to cool off if required. I don't plan staying inside a trailer all day in the dessert, I'd use only to cool off when needed like just before trying to bed down for the night.

Thanks
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The Polar Cub has a lower profile, weighs less and has a smaller footprint than the 11000 btu unit: COLEMAN POLAR CUB RV ROOF AIR CONDITIONER Top Unit - $589.99
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Polar Cub will operate off the 2000 watt generator and the Dometic 11,500 can or maybe outfitted with the soft start to also operate off the 2000 watt generator. Having had both, the P/C is quieter but costs more than the Dometic.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
If you stay in BC for the most part air conditioning likely isn't going to be required. If you plan on traveling south (and not that far south), at times air conditioning is an essential and well worth the extra expense.
I just don't like A/C. We spend 3 months each year down in the CA/AZ deserts with temps reaching 40C and higher and we used the A/C on our 2008 5.0 precisely twice - when there was high heat and a sandstorm and Leslie insisted on cooking inside!
We opted for two Maxx fans, the hatch, and a vent plus solar this time instead.
And I have a special word for people who run generators in campgrounds just so they can run A/C or power numerous gadgets - Hookups
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #16

Minnie, re: I just don't like A/C.

I'm glad you have a choice of using AC or not. We have never owned a trailer with AC and like you rely on ventilation. This past summer and on a few other occasions we paid a price for not having AC in terms of pitiful sleep and ultimating having to move to cooler geography. I can think of 3 main variables (there are others)
- How hot it stays at night.
- What the humidity is.
- How long you have had to acclimatize.
The times we have had difficulty is when it didn't cool much if any at night. We were the coolest things in the vicinity and every thing was radiating heat to us. Granted it is only a few times that this has occurred but it was unpleasant enough that we are seriously considering adding AC.

Dave
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
We have the AC in our 19 and it feels great when it's 100 deg outside but....it's so noisy. How can you possibly sleep with the unit roaring away? I have bad ears and usually wear hearing aids. Even so the AC unit was unbearable at night. The MaxFan pulling air through the trailer with the window near the bed open helped...but when it's still 85 degrees outside, I need the AC.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #18

Leftee,

Agreed, air conditioners are way too noisy.

As I don't need an air conditioner all the time and also find the noise a pain I'm considering using a small house air conditioner outside of the trailer and ducting the cool air inside through a window or outside hatch. The air conditioner could be easily mounted on the back bumper and the duct/widow adaptor could be added quickly. Not ideal for efficiency but it should be much quieter, cheaper and easier to install. Controls would be an issue but there are wireless air conditioners.

Dave

« RV covers. | solar »