Alternative uses for bike rack receiver - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Where did your dryer come from? It comes with a piece that fits into the bike rack spot or you made one?

You have an additional battery on the rear?
A buddy of mine made it... Unfortunately, He's lost the access to the welder he used (retired). The horizontal piece has an extension welded on that fits into the bike rack receiver.
That picture is of it on our 17b with the outside battery.

Edit: Amazon sells one: Stromberg Carlson CL-100 for $38.74.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
A buddy of mine made it... Unfortunately, He's lost the access to the welder he used (retired). The horizontal piece has an extension welded on that fits into the bike rack receiver.
That picture is of it on our 17b with the outside battery.
Thanks. We had a homemade clothesline with PVC that we gave to the buyers and it used flag poles, however, that requires drilling into the bumper. We are looking at getting your kind of clothesline and using something else.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post

Make sure you put the proper add ons IE bottle opener maybe another arm to hold a tray etc etc

Cypher
I think it wud be easier to just use the tailgate?
Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
What would be the max towing capacity of the RV receiver if I were to pull a small trailer behind it?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Another good point. With the 21 being longer and having tandem axles, the impact on tongue weight by adding something to the rear is reduced.
Sorry, just noticed this, but...
  • The extra overall length of the trailer does not change the effect on tongue weight - that is determined solely by the ratio between the distance from effective axle location to the rear mounting location, and the distance from that effective axle location to the coupler.
  • Tandem axles make no difference to this fundamental leverage situation.

A given mass of stuff on the back will generally have less effect on a more massive trailer. Tandem axles will generally improve stability and mask the detrimental effect of extra mass on the back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Im considering finding some sort of hitch mount and welding a grill too it.
I probably wouldn't want to use a grill behind the trailer, or right against any wall of the trailer. Commercially available rear-mounted grill mounting brackets normally swing out to put the grill to the curb side of the trailer, a bit away from the rear corner. They usually don't plug into a hitch-style receiver socket, because that's structurally a bad idea (since it would have to reach very far and so would be heavy and would twist the receiver too much).

Although BillsBumperQ is claimed to be suitable for carrying the grill on the road (folded to hold the grill over the bumper), the ones on trailers at an RV show which I recently attended all said it was not to be used that way - just as a stand while stationary. If the Bill's mount works as advertised, this might be one thing I would want on the back.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
What would be the max towing capacity of the RV receiver if I were to pull a small trailer behind it?
I'm pretty sure that would be zero. The structure is not intended for towing, and Escape does not - as far as I know - endorse towing with it on the basis of stability.

In many (probably most) places towing a trailer behind a conventional trailer is not legal... for good reason. At the risk of re-starting a long-running debate, an Escape 5.0TA could legally tow another trailer in more places (since it has both a fifth-wheel hitch and tandem axles), but the combination would still be illegal in many (again, probably most) provinces and states... and again I'm pretty sure Escape would still not endorse this use.