Aluminum wheels - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks for sharing, I to had alloy wheels on cars for the last thirty years with no issues. Starting tomorrow morning I'll start keeping a close eye on my 2019 escape wheels.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Shoot, I'm 70 miles from the ocean and my rims started to corrode in less then 2 years. Of course it's had a bit of New England winter travel, which doesn't help. The truck has aluminum wheels with a whole lot more winter travel then the trailer and they are fine.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks TacomaAnn for taking the time to explain your situation and I will check my wheels on my 2018 for cracks.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Corrosion is a common problem with aluminum alloy wheels, due to inadequate protection by the surface finish. It is usually, but not always, just a cosmetic issue. I think paint is more likely to be effective than clear-coating over a polished or machined finish, but heavy trucks routinely use clear finished wheels; my motorhome has Alcoa polished and clear-coated wheels that look fine at a decade old.

The assessment of these cracks (apparently based only on visual inspection) as structurally significant, rather than superficial and thus only cosmetic, is interesting; from a photo, I certainly wouldn't try to second-guess it... but if it were my trailer I wouldn't just accept it without question.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember in boot camp, polishing my brass belt buckle to a mirror shine, but first we had to remove the clear finish of them and then polish them. A lot of products from overseas is coated with plastic film that is supposed to protect them. Removal of that just means routine polishing will be needed. Imagine having to polish your Airstream every 3 months, there is a factory coating with a clear finish that once it starts to deteriorate requires removal and then routine polishing, but boy do they shine. I'd like to see the cracked wheel pictures....
Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Corrosion is a common problem with aluminum alloy wheels, due to inadequate protection by the surface finish. It is usually, but not always, just a cosmetic issue. I think paint is more likely to be effective than clear-coating over a polished or machined finish, but heavy trucks routinely use clear finished wheels; my motorhome has Alcoa polished and clear-coated wheels that look fine at a decade old.

The assessment of these cracks (apparently based only on visual inspection) as structurally significant, rather than superficial and thus only cosmetic, is interesting; from a photo, I certainly wouldn't try to second-guess it... but if it were my trailer I wouldn't just accept it without question.
I worked as a mechanic for 10 years and have seen a lot of alloy wheels. Have to say probably more with cracks in the clear coat than not and never saw a structural failure that was caused by them.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I worked as a mechanic for 10 years and have seen a lot of alloy wheels. Have to say probably more with cracks in the clear coat than not and never saw a structural failure that was caused by them.
Hey Chotch ... I was a heavy-duty diesel truck mechanic for the electric company for 10 years ... then worked for FedEx on their delivery trucks and semi rigs for 11 years ... also spent one year as a mechanic at the Portland, OR, airport ... and one year of Ford warranty mechanic work ... 23 years or so. I've sure seen a lot of stuff. The cracks are not in the clear coat, the clear coat has come off. The cracks are hairline cracks in the body of the wheels ... all four wheels! For those folks whose wheels still have the clear coat on, they likely won't see the hairline cracks. Reace told me he already knew about this problem, so it's a known issue. If you haven't seen an aluminum wheel fail and blow apart at 60mph, then you have yet to see a really scary sight.
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #28

Boy, that will wake you up. What do you suggest we all do? Take off all 4 wheels and inspect them? I was not planning on doing that at least for another 2 years or so. Is this something a national highway safety recall needs to be issued (https://www.nhtsa.gov), although the rims were purchased in Canada, this organization maybe the ones that would issue such?
Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Jim they can issues a recall if there are enough complaints
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Jim they can issues a recall if there are enough complaints
In other words, we have to be the guinea pigs here and if something bad starts, then they make take action. Shame they are not more proactive.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Boy, that will wake you up. What do you suggest we all do? Take off all 4 wheels and inspect them? I was not planning on doing that at least for another 2 years or so. Is this something a national highway safety recall needs to be issued (https://www.nhtsa.gov), although the rims were purchased in Canada, this organization maybe the ones that would issue such?
Hi: cpaharley2008... Maybe check back with the big wheel maker to find out how many old pop cans are used in the HiSpec aluminium mix!!! My wheels were new in 2014 and they look it. Why I've even retired them... but not with "China bombs"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I totally agree but they do not know if there are issues unless it is brought to their attention. The government doesn’t give them the necessary funds to be able to be out in the field checking everything.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I totally agree but they do not know if there are issues unless it is brought to their attention. The government doesn’t give them the necessary funds to be able to be out in the field checking everything.
Hi: Oldtimer... X2 for me also!!! I'm "Outstanding" in my field too. Alf
Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ugly

Anyone got wheels that look worse than this? The other three are just as bad. Showed them to detailers and they wouldn't touch them.
Attached Thumbnails
20190626_071637.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
looks like the same disease mine have, but yours is terminal.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 ESCAPE 21
Okay, so the question now is do I go with the aluminum wheels, stay with the painted white wheels, or look for different aluminum after market wheels somewhere else? If I do change my build sheet I believe there is a "penalty" cost to do so. That being said, it may be a better option than dealing with aluminum wheels that are potentially going to deteriorate prematurely.
Riolongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
To the OP: Can I ask if the lug nuts were torqued regularly to the 95ft/lbs as recommended? I can see this occurring if the lug nuts were either over or under tightened.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolongo View Post
Okay, so the question now is do I go with the aluminum wheels, stay with the painted white wheels, or look for different aluminum after market wheels somewhere else? If I do change my build sheet I believe there is a "penalty" cost to do so. That being said, it may be a better option than dealing with aluminum wheels that are potentially going to deteriorate prematurely.
Hi: Riolongo... Wouldn't matter if you went with skis there would be a problem!!! Alf
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolongo View Post
Any aluminum wheel can wind up like this in harsh enough conditions over time. If you stripped the coating and buffed the wheel you can get a chrome like shine which would have to be regularly polished or you could have them clear coated to something like original condition. Hey it’s only time and or $$. Sanding and repainting the white wheels is cheaper and easier but doesn’t look as pretty.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The potential for trouble is clear. Implications are frightening. Don’t want none of my wheels to explode on the road. After reading this topic regarding wheel hubs and cracks, red rust, failed coatings, how could anyone not run out to the trailer to see if these issues applied to their wheels? So of course, I did it. My trailer is pretty old, a 2013. Only time I ever gave my wheels a thought was when I changed tires. My wheels are not non-rusting aluminum, they are coated, white steel. By going with the stock wheels, cheap and dull, after 28.5K miles, I could be in danger.

Inspection results: The powder coating shows some dings and stains, but seeing no rust, except for on the lugs and big time on the hub. Could there be rust on the other side of the wheel? I’m not going there.
Attached Thumbnails
hub.jpg