Andersen Ultimate question for 5.5 bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Andersen Ultimate question for 5.5 bed

Simply stated, can you position the hitch over the axle and get something 24" wide in on the cab side?

While we're still a ways away from getting a 5.0TA, I wonder if this truck will work. I have a powered lift for my mobility scooter that would fit in 24 inches and lift the scooter (not more than 24 inches wide) into the bed and back out with the touch of remote control buttons.

Any suggestions or ideas here appreciated. Thanks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Hi Frank, I have a 6 1/2 foot bed on my Tundra with an Andersen Ultimate hitch installed and there is only 22 inches between the hitch and the front of the bed. So that distance is probably even less on a 5 1/2 foot bed. Mark
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
[QUOTE=Mark&Elaine;289723]Hi Frank, I have a 6 1/2 foot bed on my Tundra with an Andersen Ultimate hitch installed and there is only 22 inches between the hitch and the front of the bed. So that distance is probably even less on a 5 1/2 foot bed. Mark[/QUOTE

The question I have is how much room between the pin box and tail gate? I have an EcoDiesel with the 5'7" bed. Also a foldup BAKflip tonneau. I see my problem with clearance with the tonneau even when folded up. I have a Curt gooseneck hitch with the Andersen Ultimate. I also have a 3" offset ball for the gooseneck so I could position the Andersen even further to the rear if the pin box allows.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

I know the Andersen Ultimate can be installed a number of ways. Guess I need to call etrailer and ask them.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Simply stated, can you position the hitch over the axle and get something 24" wide in on the cab side?
The common fifth-wheel hitch position is just ahead of the axle, not directly over it.

There are two Andersen Ultimate base types, and they are different sizes (have a different footprint length and width):
  1. the rail-mounted Andersen's base is 24" square; and,
  2. the Andersen gooseneck-anchored base is 35.63" wide and 31.5" long (fore-aft).
The version which goes on the rails is always placed in the same location on the rails (it basically just covers the rails front-to-back); the "gooseneck" version is centred either ahead of or behind the ball in the bed... but if you have a typical 5.5' box it will need to be behind the ball in the bed.

If you know the distance from the front of the box to the axle (or the ball-in-bed location, or the rails), you can work out how much is left ahead of the hitch base.

The issue of how much free space is left in the box floor with these hitches was discussed in "Ditched the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch! BUT WHY?".

Quote:
I have a powered lift for my mobility scooter that would fit in 24 inches and lift the scooter (not more than 24 inches wide) into the bed and back out with the touch of remote control buttons.
Interesting! Is this a crane-style lift, or a platform type? If you have link, or just a brand and model, I would appreciate that information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Interesting! Is this a crane-style lift, or a platform type? If you have link, or just a brand and model, I would appreciate that information.
Thanks Brian, great info as usual.

My new-to-me scooter and lift came to me from my sister-in-law. It was installed in her and my brother's mini-van. Unfortunately my brother died last month and my sister-in-law offered it to me.

The lift is a Bruno VSL-6000: https://www.bruno.com/scooter-lifts/curb-sider

It's an older version, but had always been in a van and is in like-new condition. I played with it as much as I could today (it is incredibly heavy), but could not figure out how to mount it in the bed and get the scooter in and out without possibly damaging the outside of the truck. I'll give them a call Monday and see what they say. Obviously the current version works in pickups. I'm just missing something.

I think I'm back to buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Whe...s%2C175&sr=8-6

Could be stored in the back seat of the crewcab or in a compartment of the 5.0. Heaviest piece when it breaks down is less than 30 pounds.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
The common fifth-wheel hitch position is just ahead of the axle, not directly over it.

There are two Andersen Ultimate base types, and they are different sizes (have a different footprint length and width):
  1. the rail-mounted Andersen's base is 24" square; and,
  2. the Andersen gooseneck-anchored base is 35.63" wide and 31.5" long (fore-aft).
The version which goes on the rails is always placed in the same location on the rails (it basically just covers the rails front-to-back); the "gooseneck" version is centred either ahead of or behind the ball in the bed... but if you have a typical 5.5' box it will need to be behind the ball in the bed.

If you know the distance from the front of the box to the axle (or the ball-in-bed location, or the rails), you can work out how much is left ahead of the hitch base.

The issue of how much free space is left in the box floor with these hitches was discussed in "Ditched the Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch! BUT WHY?".

The rail mounted set up is not centered between the rails, it’s offset. The adapter that fits the pin can be attached either forward or backwards allowing you more options with your setup.
Attached Thumbnails
9350B53B-7C57-4A25-86F5-8033D76E8D8F.jpg   E9219E74-B79C-4FF8-ACFA-41A219A73640.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Thanks Brian, great info as usual.

My new-to-me scooter and lift came to me from my sister-in-law. It was installed in her and my brother's mini-van. Unfortunately my brother died last month and my sister-in-law offered it to me.

The lift is a Bruno VSL-6000: https://www.bruno.com/scooter-lifts/curb-sider

It's an older version, but had always been in a van and is in like-new condition. I played with it as much as I could today (it is incredibly heavy), but could not figure out how to mount it in the bed and get the scooter in and out without possibly damaging thhe outside of the truck. I'll give them a call Monday and see what they say. Obviously the current version works in pickups. I'm just missing something.

I think I'm back to buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Whe...s%2C175&sr=8-6

Could be stored in the back seat of the crewcab or in a compartment of the 5.0. Heaviest piece when it breaks down is less than 30 pounds.
From what I can see that lift loads the scooter from the back , not over the side. If that’s the case even with a long bed pickup you would have to remove hitch to load and unload. The Anderson is the only hitch I could see doing this with, but still a little bit of work. The arm drops down to stow but it appears it would still be sticking up past the truck sidewall by more than a bit. This would interfere with the trailer on turns . I don’t see this working with a 5th wheel, but then again I think I was wrong once. 😂
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
From what I can see that lift loads the scooter from the back , not over the side. If that’s the case even with a long bed pickup you would have to remove hitch to load and unload. The Anderson is the only hitch I could see doing this with, but still a little bit of work. The arm drops down to stow but it appears it would still be sticking up past the truck sidewall by more than a bit. This would interfere with the trailer on turns . I don’t see this working with a 5th wheel, but then again I think I was wrong once. 😂
Nope, will use the lift with this scooter till just before (or possibly sooner) we buy a 5.0. We'll get this one, because not only will it easily fit in the back seat of my crewcab, it will easily fit in the back of my wife's Escape: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Whe...s%2C175&sr=8-6

At that point, I will sell both the lift and the mobility scooter I now have.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The rail mounted set up is not centered between the rails, it’s offset. The adapter that fits the pin can be attached either forward or backwards allowing you more options with your setup.
Right: the ball is not centred... but the base is, which is what matters to the remaining clear cargo space ahead of the hitch base.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 AM   #11

Quote:
That's what I called a "crane" type, and they (reasonably) call a "hoist-type". Since it can't lift the scooter up much above the load floor level, it can't lift over the side of the pickup box... but it could lift onto a flat deck in place of the box.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #12

Quote:
That's what I called a "crane" type, and they (reasonably) call a "hoist-type". Since it can't lift the scooter up much above the load floor level, it can't lift over the side of the pickup box... but it could lift onto a flat deck in place of the box.
I'll probably sell the whole rig, scooter and all, and get one that breaks down easily and can be stored in the back seat of the crewcab or storage compartment of the trailer.