Anode Rod, Screen Door and Door Window - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With regards to the screen door, I just went an checked mine out. It had a gap between the door and the jamb at the bottom. When open holding the middle of the door and lightly pulling in at the bottom made it seal well when closed.

If the issue is that the top of the door hangs to low, the solution is not too tough of one. Looking at the door closely it is obvious that the screening plays an important part in the stability of the door. If one were to remove the screen material and rack the door to be square (or even a tad high on the latch side), then replace the screen it would then hold it in the new shape. Not that this is what someone should have to do on a relatively new door, it is just a solution.

Having replaced a ton of screens over the years, it is not that tough. I would even imagine you could get away with using the existing material, or replacing just the bigger panel. You just remove the rubber spline that holds it in, and when the door is positioned(shaped) properly, use a screen roller tool, you press the spine back in holding the screen in place. I probably have many of you confused, so I would suggest looking at one of the many videos out there. This one is good.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Does your trailer have the wrinkling of the door frame? I was told this is normal.
Mine does. This is the result of curving a straight piece of aluminum. I actually had not even noticed until I looked after reading this thread.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mine does. This is the result of curving a straight piece of aluminum. I actually had not even noticed until I looked after reading this thread.

Nice to know your trailer has the same crinkle as ours. Since no one had responded to their door having it - that had me concerned.

Think the reason I noticed the door crinkle right away is because I can walk out the door without ducking. That gives me time to see/look at the door vs worrying about hitting my head going out the door :-)

Replacing window screening looks simple and something I could easily do and would be happy to do if it solved the problem. My only concern is if it makes it worse or my just doing the screen replacement voids what ever warranty we have on the door. It would of been so simple if we were told to try/do A, B or C and if it didn't work they would replace/fix, but with no reply from ETI we feel stuck as to what to do/what should we do.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #24

Quote:

Replacing window screening looks simple and something I could easily do and would be happy to do if it solved the problem. My only concern is if it makes it worse or my just doing the screen replacement voids what ever warranty we have on the door. It would of been so simple if we were told to try/do A, B or C and if it didn't work they would replace/fix, but with no reply from ETI we feel stuck as to what to do/what should we do.
I would wait to see what Escape says. I would even send them another message or call again to remind.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
I would wait to see what Escape says. I would even send them another message or call again to remind.

Will do.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
alright now I'm going to have to check my screen door. But i have never noticed any of the above issues -but again i never looked for them...I'm not very observant so i live in a state of bliss - everything is perfect!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
alright now I'm going to have to check my screen door. But i have never noticed any of the above issues -but again i never looked for them...I'm not very observant so i live in a state of bliss - everything is perfect!
*sits on fingers so as not to say anything I might regret*
Old 06-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #28

ETI has contacted us today and in ETI form they will take care of the window - new window rim covering will be sent. As for the screen door, we received more information on how to fix it, will give it a good try (numerous times if need be) and if it doesn't work out we will take it into a RV shop and have them work on it. With the added information on how to correct it - I think we can get it accomplished ourselves. I always knew they took care of their customers, but will admit I was getting a little concerned (reason I reached out here for some help). Reace called both my husband and I. Thank you Reace if you see this!!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
ETI has contacted us today and in ETI form they will take care of the window - new window rim covering will be sent. As for the screen door, we received more information on how to fix it, will give it a good try (numerous times if need be) and if it doesn't work out we will take it into a RV shop and have them work on it. With the added information on how to correct it - I think we can get it accomplished ourselves. I always knew they took care of their customers, but will admit I was getting a little concerned (reason I reached out here for some help). Reace called both my husband and I. Thank you Reace if you see this!!
Great news Mary!!!!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Glad you are getting help!! ETI might get a little 'busy', but didn't loose their 'care'!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK;251939.
Does your trailer have the wrinkling of the door frame? I was told this is normal.

MaryK,

We picked ours up 01/17 and it has the same wrinkle if the door frame. Have not had any issues with it.

Thanks,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
MaryK,

We picked ours up 01/17 and it has the same wrinkle if the door frame. Have not had any issues with it.

Thanks,

Fred M.

Thanks Fred for letting me know
Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
I drain my hot water tank always when i am not using the trailer and take the anode out.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
I drain my hot water tank always when i am not using the trailer and take the anode out.

Sounds like a good idea. I know the hubby drains ours, but don't know if he took out the anode. Will have to ask him.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
Curious as to why. I have always done it to winterize only and have never had the slightest issue.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I think it depends on your water I find my anode lasts a long time and I only drain when I winterize. I must have soft water...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I think it depends on your water I find my anode lasts a long time and I only drain when I winterize. I must have soft water...
make sure you don't have one of those aluminum placebo anodes. they don't do any good and are just a place filler.

a good reason to drain the water system is if its going to sit for weeks unused. pulling the anode is the only reasonable way to drain the hot water heater
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
With regards to the screen door, I just went an checked mine out. It had a gap between the door and the jamb at the bottom. When open holding the middle of the door and lightly pulling in at the bottom made it seal well when closed.

If the issue is that the top of the door hangs to low, the solution is not too tough of one. Looking at the door closely it is obvious that the screening plays an important part in the stability of the door. If one were to remove the screen material and rack the door to be square (or even a tad high on the latch side), then replace the screen it would then hold it in the new shape. Not that this is what someone should have to do on a relatively new door, it is just a solution.

Having replaced a ton of screens over the years, it is not that tough. I would even imagine you could get away with using the existing material, or replacing just the bigger panel. You just remove the rubber spline that holds it in, and when the door is positioned(shaped) properly, use a screen roller tool, you press the spine back in holding the screen in place. I probably have many of you confused, so I would suggest looking at one of the many videos out there. This one is good.

Man, I should have watched this before replacing the dog-mangled lower screen in my door. That little roller tool would have saved me at least an hour of work vs the cobbled-together impromptu tools I used.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
ah, this tool? :-p

i dug that out when I was cleaning some old tool drawers, and remembered I've got a couple screens that need fixing
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ah, this tool? :-p

i dug that out when I was cleaning some old tool drawers, and remembered I've got a couple screens that need fixing
Looks identical to mine.