Another measurement request (5.0TA) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question Another measurement request (5.0TA)

Anyone happen to have any of the four dimensions (A, B, C, D) missing on the attached figure? The air conditioner / rear vent is omitted intentionally (my 5.0 is ordered without either).

The question goes to estimating fitment of aftermarket (rigid) solar panels, Huge Thanks In Advance for any assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
5.0 ROOF DIMENSIONS.png  
Old 04-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I'm not near our 5.0 right now, but I've ordered two Renogy 100 watt Eclipse panels. One to go behind the top emergency hatch over the bed (spot C) and the other to go in front of the AC, behind that first panel I just described (spot B).

I also ordered one RV Tilt Mount Bracket to mount the panel in spot C using VHB tape. The Eclipse panel is 1.5" shorter than their other 100 watt panel and need a short panel (40.9" long for the Eclipse vs 42.4" for their other 100 watt panel). If the RV Tilt Mount Bracket works for the one in spot C, I'll be ordering another for spot B and tilt the panel so it's flat. The tilt for spot C is a piece of cake since you merely open the escape hatch and stand there for the tilt.

Using the math I used in another post we'll have 354 watts of solar on the roof

I understand you'll be installing a mini-split, so you'll have all kinds of room for even more panels.

I should have the panels and tilt next week, so of course I'll be checking for fit ASAP! BTW, the panels will fit through the escape hatch making the install in those spots much easier.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #3

Yours sounds like a great plan, Perry .... the ability to adjust 'spot C' tilt via the hatch is a notion I'd not considered but sounds nifty.

Your implicit offer to take some measurements when you install yours is greatly appreciated, I'm sure not in any rush, lol!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Your implicit offer to take some measurements when you install yours is greatly appreciated, I'm sure not in any rush, lol!
I'm certainly not in any rush either. There's a lot of family events in May.

First I'll hook each panel up to our solar port for the portable to make sure they work. Once that is done I'll be mounting the panels to the tilt mount brackets, and going up on the roof to make sure the panels will fit.

Then I'll clean and strip the entire roof with Zep stripper before installing the two panels. After the panels are installed I'll remove the panels (easy to do with the adjustable mounts) and wax the roof with Zep Floor Wax (easy folks, I've done this before, so have actual experience).

Once the roof has 4-6 coats of wax I'll be reinstalling the panels and combining the three panels together to go to our Victron 100/30 controller.

Everything should work, right?.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Anyone happen to have any of the four dimensions (A, B, C, D) missing on the attached figure? The air conditioner / rear vent is omitted intentionally (my 5.0 is ordered without either).

The question goes to estimating fitment of aftermarket (rigid) solar panels, Huge Thanks In Advance for any assistance!

Like you, Alan, I have an order in for a 5.0 and plan to go the mini-split route and eliminate the a/c roof hole. I'm following this to see dimensions also.

I don't really want to put solar panels at the high point of the roof do to aerodynamics. But I've wondered if the maxxfan could be moved forward so I could mount more/bigger panels at the rear.
It seems most high wattage panels are either approx. 40x60 in. or 40x72 in.

Its going to be fun designing all of this. We hope to see and measure one of the ambassador 5.0s in the next month and take some measurements. Also my new tow vehicle is due in about a month so I'm anxious to get it set up.

It sure is fun reading all the innovative ways folks here have modified their Escapes.

Good luck,
Greg
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
.... But I've wondered if the maxxfan could be moved forward so I could mount more/bigger panels at the rear.
When I asked the answer to that was a polite "no" because the shell is molded with a slight raised-area for the front vent (visible in one of the attachments below) and interior framing is 'fixed' to that location. But, I always advise folks to ask for whatever you want during configuration discussions, anything can change on ETI's end

Quote:
....It seems most high wattage panels are either approx. 40x60 in. or 40x72 in.
Not sure what voltage you intend to run or what you consider "high wattage" but diligent research can reveal a number of size possibilities (though there are a few common size increments for the 'cells' that make-up a given panel).

Just FYI ...Me, I'm 99.9% 'settled' on the Grape Solar GS-STAR-200W panels (61.5" x 28.2") for a number of reasons that work for me (YMMV). I'm confident they'll 'fit', getting better rooftop dimensions will help me refine mounting and tilting schemes I'm exploring on paper .

Have Fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOLAR ARRAYS.pdf (317.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf ESCAPE 5.0 PANEL ARRAY SCHEME.pdf (58.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Rode the trike down to the camper to check what needs to be straightened around for an ambassador showing on Friday. The ladder does not fit on the trikes rear rack, so I measured C & B by standing on the bed, using the escape hatch.
C 28"
B 24-25"
That includes the curve of the roof, so perhaps subtract an inch for both measurements.

The area for the Maxx Fan is definitely on a raised front and rear and it appears the same for the AC area. I'll know more when I get our ladder down there and will try to take pictures.

Since you're going with a mini-split AC you could easily add three more 100 watt panels behind the Maxx Fan to the rear of the camper, perhaps four. I did NOT want a wide panel in front like those that have had bending issues and wanted panels I could feel safe mounting with VHB tape. For us 350 watts on the roof should be plenty, since the existing 170 watt panel was just fine, but we don't have a microwave or other 120v needs. Of course, YMMV.

Also received a text from Renogy that the panels and tilt mount bracket will arrive next Tuesday, May 4. Yeah, right!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Hey Thanks, Perry!
Old 05-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:

Just a bump to see if you ever found out your dimensions A and D?

We hope to go visit an ambassador 5.0 in the next couple of weeks and measure many places.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Just a bump to see if you ever found out your dimensions A and D?
Nope, not yet, but Perry will be up there eventually as his schedule allows and I'm in no rush.

"A" has become relatively moot. from photo-scaling I'm now comfortable that exact dimension won't limit any options I'm considering.

"D" isn't option-limiting either, just mildly curious to get a feel for mount height required to 'clear' things.

Nothing dependent on any of this will actually be fabricated until I have my trailer in-hand for proper field-fitting
Old 05-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Like you, Alan, I have an order in for a 5.0 and plan to go the mini-split route and eliminate the a/c roof hole.
Another mini-split! You won’t regret it. Whisper quiet heating & cooling is possible! In a few weeks time mine will be running off an inverter tied to a 400AH lithium battery.