Another RMD8555 problem. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 5, pulled by 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Another RMD8555 problem.

Hello All
I have been searching through for a thread on anything RMD8555 looking to see if I can solve my issue but have been unsuccessful. My issue, discovered during our last outing, is that the lights on the control panel located between the freezer and the fridge compartments now has no lights that would show which mode is selected and the level of cooling selected. All 3 modes are still functioning, the lights inside the fridge are still functioning and I still get the "beep" when you push the buttons. I have 120VAC on the plug and on the board at the back, I have 12VDC on the terminal strip and the board in the back, and I have checked the amber fuse connected to the terminal strip for continuity and it is good. I checked the resettable heat sensor and this was okay. There is a number on the control board in the back, 298 0241-31 but I cannot find any reference on the internet that relates to that number. I also pulled the panel off the front and found a part number 289-0508-00. I called a local RV service department and they want $614 for a new board with 2 weeks to 3 moths delivery. They also said that it looked to them like Dometic is phasing this unit out yet you still see it on the Dometic site. I could get the board in but this still doesn't confirm whether this will fix the problem. No one wants to help diagnose over the phone and all the RV dealers want me to "bring it in". At $125/hr that could add up real fast. One guys even said to me that he would have to charge me to sit on the phone to call Dometic for parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it works and you know which mode, I'd keep using it until another issue may cause you to replace the "board".....
Old 09-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
About what I paid for my “eyebrow” board. And about what I paid for the main board. I have seen Dometic charge $50 for shipping. The eyebrow board replacement fixed a 8555 that would only work on shore power. I know of at least two others who have had the same issue as I did.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipper View Post
Hello All
I have been searching through for a thread on anything RMD8555 looking to see if I can solve my issue but have been unsuccessful. My issue, discovered during our last outing, is that the lights on the control panel located between the freezer and the fridge compartments now has no lights that would show which mode is selected and the level of cooling selected. All 3 modes are still functioning, the lights inside the fridge are still functioning and I still get the "beep" when you push the buttons. I have 120VAC on the plug and on the board at the back, I have 12VDC on the terminal strip and the board in the back, and I have checked the amber fuse connected to the terminal strip for continuity and it is good. I checked the resettable heat sensor and this was okay. There is a number on the control board in the back, 298 0241-31 but I cannot find any reference on the internet that relates to that number. I also pulled the panel off the front and found a part number 289-0508-00. I called a local RV service department and they want $614 for a new board with 2 weeks to 3 moths delivery. They also said that it looked to them like Dometic is phasing this unit out yet you still see it on the Dometic site. I could get the board in but this still doesn't confirm whether this will fix the problem. No one wants to help diagnose over the phone and all the RV dealers want me to "bring it in". At $125/hr that could add up real fast. One guys even said to me that he would have to charge me to sit on the phone to call Dometic for parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
when ours was behaving badly, I took it in and the RV place determined that the 'eye brow' board's connecters were loose, re-plugged them in and it has been fine since (touch wood). Worth a try.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
I have a different fridge, the 3 cf model, but when my I replaced the eyebrow board I found the best price at pdxrvwholesale.com. It was $100. Maybe they stock your part.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...kit-3316995900

Any chance this would help?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #7

I went through the entire Dometic listings. The 8555 is a unicorn when it come to parts.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
when ours was behaving badly, I took it in and the RV place determined that the 'eye brow' board's connecters were loose, re-plugged them in and it has been fine since (touch wood). Worth a try.
I checked them at both ends, no luck.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #9

The 8555 gets wet between the upper and lower doors. I would remove the eyebrow board and dry that area with a hair dryer. Then leave the board removed for several days. Returning is a good time to confirm the connections.

As a routine I wipe the eyebrow board on gaskets on a frequent basis.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The 8555 is a European model. When I needed an evaporation cup, Dometic couldn’t identify the part number that was stamped on the damaged cup. I had to order one from an RV parts company in the UK. Took over 6 weeks to receive it.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The 8555 gets wet between the upper and lower doors. I would remove the eyebrow board and dry that area with a hair dryer. Then leave the board removed for several days. Returning is a good time to confirm the connections.

As a routine I wipe the eyebrow board on gaskets on a frequent basis.
I have had this problem with mine...it went so far as to short out the switches and the fridge was clicking on and off randomly. I dried the board a couple of times, started using the frame heater more and regularly wipe the area dry. The problem kept returning albeit less often. A repair place had bought a main and eyebrow board for me and replaced the main when the problem first surfaced a few years ago. The eyebrow was for a fridge hinged the wrong way. I finally did some modifications to the board and installed it and so far no problems....where is that wood? I have a feeling the conformal coating had dried out since the camper spent time with its first owners in Las Vegas in the sun and low humidity. Hopefully it works again for a while....now on to the Maxx Fan which needs a new crank mechanism and voltage regulation......
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I have had this problem with mine...it went so far as to short out the switches and the fridge was clicking on and off randomly. I dried the board a couple of times, started using the frame heater more and regularly wipe the area dry. The problem kept returning albeit less often. A repair place had bought a main and eyebrow board for me and replaced the main when the problem first surfaced a few years ago. The eyebrow was for a fridge hinged the wrong way. I finally did some modifications to the board and installed it and so far no problems....where is that wood? I have a feeling the conformal coating had dried out since the camper spent time with its first owners in Las Vegas in the sun and low humidity. Hopefully it works again for a while....now on to the Maxx Fan which needs a new crank mechanism and voltage regulation......
I had the board out the other day and inspected it for damage. There was a part number sticker there than I used to try and source the board. A local RV found a listing for the number, $753CDN. I checked the connections while I had it out and then went back around to the control board and checked them there as well. Still no luck. At this point I'm going to run it like it is until it doesn't run anymore, then I'll replace the entire fridge with a more current model, one that I know I can get parts for if needed.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipper View Post
I had the board out the other day and inspected it for damage. There was a part number sticker there than I used to try and source the board. A local RV found a listing for the number, $753CDN. I checked the connections while I had it out and then went back around to the control board and checked them there as well. Still no luck. At this point I'm going to run it like it is until it doesn't run anymore, then I'll replace the entire fridge with a more current model, one that I know I can get parts for if needed.
My problem seemed to be the "switches" rather than the board. So I am speaking about the part that you push to change settings that the board is attached to...it seemed like it was getting damp from the back and causing the little wires to short. Try pulling this piece out and let it dry for a few days if you can.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
We had the same problem with our frig it turned out to be the thermal fuse behind the burner stack. I checked it for continuity and it failed. We also had no lights on panel at frig all fuses we good and control board was good and themo fuse on vent stack was also good after checking to see if it need to be reset.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
My problem seemed to be the "switches" rather than the board. So I am speaking about the part that you push to change settings that the board is attached to...it seemed like it was getting damp from the back and causing the little wires to short. Try pulling this piece out and let it dry for a few days if you can.
I pulled the panel off again and this time completely removed the PC board from the panel. I inspected the "switches" for moisture and/or possible problems and it doesn't look to have either. I will try the hair dryer method to see if that will dry out any unseen or detected moisture before I out it back together. One thing to note, upon closer inspection, there are two additional stickers, one on the panel itself and one on the push button piece. One had had date of 24 Nov 2015, the other 2015.09.21. I suspect these are production dates. My trailer is a 2013 so unless ETI had a DeLorean fitted with a flux capacitor when they made the trailer, this board has been replaced before.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
We had the same problem with our frig it turned out to be the thermal fuse behind the burner stack. I checked it for continuity and it failed. We also had no lights on panel at frig all fuses we good and control board was good and themo fuse on vent stack was also good after checking to see if it need to be reset.
I searched high and low on the unit in the back and could not find an additional thermal fuse on the burner stack.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21c
I know this is a stretch, but has anyone who has replaced their Dometic 8555, kept the old fridge, looking for parts?
Sailor now Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #18

Took mine to the dump two weeks ago. The eyebrow/mustache board was bad.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor now Trailer View Post
I know this is a stretch, but has anyone who has replaced their Dometic 8555, kept the old fridge, looking for parts?
Maybe not a stretch, no harm in asking. I have a Dometic 8551 door in perfect shape. I've kept it even though my E19 is long gone. I was thinking that someone might break their door and ask if anyone had one kicking around.

Some folks chuck items once they think they're of no further use and some folks, , accumulate stuff, just in case.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m sure there’s a few out there. Keep Asking and one may turn up. They seem to be being Replaced at a regular clip.
Iowa Dave