Anyone replaced the awful BLUE LEDs in an RMD8555 ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
apparently the RMD85xx series was originally made by a division of Electrolux in Europe that got acquired by Dometic... Dometic is actually a Swedish company, btw. Most of the dometic fridges sold in the USA are made by their US division.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
John I am giving some thought to replacing my RM8551 with the 8555. Their dimensions seem to be almost the same except for the height, so it looks like a swap may be possible. How's yours been working on propane?
Old 06-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
John I am giving some thought to replacing my RM8551 with the 8555. Their dimensions seem to be almost the same except for the height, so it looks like a swap may be possible. How's yours been working on propane?
it works great on propane or 120VAC. never used it on DC. I have noted that on days of extended 100F+ weather, it might not stay quite as cold as ideal, but I think this is a function of all absorption fridges, they have trouble with much over about a 50F or 60F temp differential. I'm quite sure having the rooftop vent on my E21 greatly improves the fridge's efficiency by increasing the airflow passed the heat exchangers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #24

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
….Anyway, I got some rather dark electrostatic window tinting and stuck 3 layers together, cut pieces to fit, and applied them over the blue LEDs that shine between the RMD8555 freezer and refrigerator doors. The lights are visible but no longer harsh and the tinting has stayed in place for five years. Perhaps a solution that is neither as labor nor as time intensive?
What did you use to apply the layers of window tinting? Would this gray work?
(The lights don't bother me, but others will be traveling with me in a few weeks, so I'd like to be prepared.) https://smile.amazon.com/KESPEN-Deco...kle_mcd_asin_2

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Have to tell you John: I love the blue LED’s! Lol no accounting for taste.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
What did you use to apply the layers of window tinting? Would this gray work?
(The lights don't bother me, but others will be traveling with me in a few weeks, so I'd like to be prepared.) https://smile.amazon.com/KESPEN-Deco...kle_mcd_asin_2
Ava, I believe it would. The description in link you provided states that nothing is needed to attach it as it “clings.” That is exactly what I used.......gray cling window tinting. It can be removed but it has stayed in place. You just might have to run your fingers over it several times if there are tiny bubbles after you apply, but the size you are applying is not likely to have any bubbles.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #27

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ava, I believe it would. The description in link you provided states that nothing is needed to attach it as it “clings.” That is exactly what I used.......gray cling window tinting. It can be removed but it has stayed in place. You just might have to run your fingers over it several times if there are tiny bubbles after you apply, but the size you are applying is not likely to have any bubbles.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Can one buy that model now? Have searched recently and don't see it.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Can one buy that model now? Have searched recently and don't see it.
On the two occasions I have called Dometic for minor repair parts, one time for the evaporation cup for the drain, they couldn’t even identify the part number which was stamped on the damaged cup I was trying to replace. I had to contact a “Caravan Parts” retailer in Britain to get a replacement, ant it was over a month before it arrived. Meanwhile, I Mickey Moused a fix to the damaged cup so it sufficed until the replacement arrived.
All this leads me to believe that if it is still being manufactured, it is likely only available in Europe. Perhaps someone at ETI knows. Before they sold, I never asked Reace where he was procuring the RMD8555, and I did have a “refrigerator conversation” with him just prior to my build in 2015. Could be he was getting them directly from Europe. Does anyone know if Dometic North America ever distributed them?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:

If I'm reading the thread right, there is the 4 cubic foot RM855X and the 6 cubic foot RMD855X. Yours being the former, Johns being the later.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #31

The RM 8555 is the same width, but a whopping 17 inches higher than my 8551. That kills it for me since doing the cabinet work I loose my microwave and the cabinet door above it. Now looking at the Dometic RM 2410 and RM 2354, even though I am pretty much soured on that company's products. Trailer door being 22Ľ' wide is the other problem.

The pilot light on propane is robust enough. Of course, my 8551 may be having it's trouble cooling - like zero cooling - when on propane because of the altitude. Currently looking into that.
Attached Thumbnails
pilot2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you like everything about the refrigerator, except it doesn't work it might be worth looking into having it rebuilt: RV Refrigeration Repair – RV Appliance Repair- Falkville, AL

Here's another to check out: https://www.rvcool.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #33

I had it worked on at Tom's RV in ABQ, in March, they're good, and they also replaced the regulator and confirmed everything was functioning A-OK. Few days later, no joy on propane. Took it back, they kept it, found no issues, went to pick it up. Same story when I got it home. Everything but propane works. I am at 6700 ft here. Today I will hook up and take it back into ABQ (5,000 ft altitude) and park at nearby Home Depot and turn fridge on to propane and wait for it to cool.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Dometic replaced my 51 with a 55 back in 2015 under warranty for my 21; it worked better although I couldn't quite get the freezer to hold 9-10F so that wifey's fudge bars would stay rock hard. I pulled the roof vent cover and surrounded the boiler chimney with metal tubing to route the hot gasses clear to the roof vent instead of inside the trailer, securing the top of the tubing to the vent screening with some wire. Also insulated the freezer with Styrofoam sheeting. Had to remove that from the lower compartment as it would get too cold and freeze things.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #35

Been wondering why the last couple weeks every time I go out to the trailer there have been birds around me chirping madly with excitement. Figured they were protecting a nest close by. Looked everywhere around and under the trailer. No nest.

Will have to delay my planned trip into the city. Just now, all hooked up, then before pulling out did the walk-around. More intense parental chirping. That's when I found the nest, back inside the trailer spare tire rim.

Looks like they are close to fledgling so maybe in a few days I can then pull out.
Attached Thumbnails
nest1b.jpg   nest2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
Congrats on being a grand daddy..........
Old 06-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #37

Since once the babies have flown I must assume they, or the parents, will return later on to use what they think is a good, safe nesting place. Deja Voo all over again? Must remove spare and create some kind of barrier behind the rim. Oh, here's one of the parents. Still chirping away.
Attached Thumbnails
bird1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2020, 06:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If I find birds nesting in my trailer before a trip I'm tempted to declare them to be migratory birds, up for some traveling. Nah, I really wouldn't do that. I'd better keep an eye on that sort of thing in the weeks leading up to departure to prevent this from happening.

Two years ago while on a trip to the Midwest I opened the rear door of my Tacoma and found one of those tree frogs that are common along the Gulf Coast. It had hitched a ride all the way to Illinois. "Bud", I said, "you screwed up big-time" as it hopped away. Winter was coming.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Myron-- you could park one of those plastic owls on the top of your spare tire. That might keep the birds away.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
At the moment I have wrens in the pinbox, I'm not going anywhere so I'll leave it till they have moved on then block up the opening with some ckn wire or screening.

Also have another Yellow jacket nest in the A/C, fun, fun.