Are the counter extension walls reinforced? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Are the counter extension walls reinforced?

Trying to figure out which walls to reinforce in case I want to mount something. I'm getting counter extensions in my 21' with the U-shaped dinette on both sides (locations 1 and 2 on the Escape diagram below.) Will these walls be reinforced? I would like to hang a spice rack on the kitchen wall someday. If I can save spending extra money to reinforce them that'd be great.

Tree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Spices are to be kept in a cool dark place.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Spices are to be kept in a cool dark place.
Noted. Thanks for the advice!
Tree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree3 View Post
Trying to figure out which walls to reinforce in case I want to mount something. I'm getting counter extensions in my 21' with the U-shaped dinette on both sides (locations 1 and 2 on the Escape diagram below.) Will these walls be reinforced? I would like to hang a spice rack on the kitchen wall someday. If I can save spending extra money to reinforce them that'd be great.

I had walls 1,2,4, and 6 reinforced for same reasons you gave - I wanted to mount stuff on the walls. If you wanted to add shelving in the "micro cabinet w storage", then wall 3 would need to be reinforced as well.

I'm sure that this thread is going to get "reinforced walls add too much weight" and "Escape can mount stuff on framing" comments. I have had no regrets with the reinforced walls that I ordered and would do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, I do regret that I didn't do wall 3.

I would assume that walls 1 & 2 would have to be reinforced to mount counter extensions but I don't know for sure. Calling Escape is probably the way to go - they could tell you how they would mount the extensions. Even if someone had this done before doesn't mean that Escape does it the same way now. Call and then you know for sure.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To answer your question, NO, the counter extension walls are not reinforced, other than an extra small piece of trim behind to spread the weight of the extension and take the screws but nothing more. They do seem to start in a corner where there are studs but the other end just have some trim behind. Reinforcing a wall involves installing a piece of plywood behind the paneling. These also add extra weight.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Walls #5/4/3 can be reinforced after delivery by removing the drawers or working inside the closet. Wall#1 kitchen wall I believe is only reinforced on the dinette side, not the kitchen side, at least that was the way in my first E19. But there are supports for a spice rack and I have mounted one in every one of my 4 Escapes, on the kitchen side. Just make it a 2 shelf small unit, not a home residential unit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2165.jpg  
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Walls #5/4/3 can be reinforced after delivery by removing the drawers or working inside the closet. Wall#1 kitchen wall I believe is only reinforced on the dinette side, not the kitchen side, at least that was the way in my first E19. But there are supports for a spice rack and I have mounted one in every one of my 4 Escapes, on the kitchen side. Just make it a 2 shelf small unit, not a home residential unit.
I have a similar spice rack mounted in the same location as Jim. I added a couple of small bungee straps to keep the spices in the rack:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1518.jpg  
Old 11-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #8

Good idea on the little bungee strap there Jon. I have used these little racks by the door and other places, very handy and light.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
When you buy used you don't have the reinforcement option. You can scab a 1X on the wall and catch the existing wall supports. Works even with heavy items like the tv and it is hardly noticeable if stained to match your woodwork and you use the screw caps.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We followed Glenn's advice to keep our spices in a cool dark place - a bin inside a cabinet - and instead put a knife rack on that wall next to the cooktop. Those magnetic knife racks grip really well, but just to be sure I installed two of them and so far we have never had a knife fall off. The mounting screws catch the framing pieces inside the wall along both edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Knife rack.jpg  
Old 11-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #11

It is a good thing you do not have a magnetic personality there Dave........
Old 11-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is a good thing you do not have a magnetic personality there Dave........
Well I kind of do...but these magnets are stronger, that's why I used two of them Also because there are cats in the trailer when we are traveling and I wanted to avoid the possibility of cats and loose knives flying around the trailer together!

I'm sold on the magnets - when bumps and centrifugal force managed to dump our pantry contents out onto the floor, the knives stayed firmly attached to the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry latch 1.jpg