Awning & belly band alert for 2nd Gen trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Awning & belly band alert for 2nd Gen trailers

Just got home from taking the trailer up to ETI to get the busted rear window replaced. And a few other things looked at.

The Canadian border guard was having a real hard time not laughing when I told him the reason for heading to the factory - Dirk's $500 mowing job (rock flew up and shattered the left dinette window). I'm sure he wanted to look professional, but I did see the corners of his mouth twitch a few times.

Stayed at Cottonwood, which is almost literally across the highway from ETI. Quiet neighbors. Highway traffic covered up by my sound machine at night.

ETI put more foam and such in the frig vent area and said it's all taken care of. They also put some stuff over the windows - I didn't look at it. My windows weren't leaking but I guess they wanted to be pro-active about that.

Got the brake controller situation fixed - will post on that thread after I take a few photos to explain what all was going on there. In a while, so for those waiting with bated breath for the resolution are just gonna have to wait.

Okay, for the alerts:

On the work order they wrote down "belly band" and I found out later what all that meant. There will be an email sent from ETI regarding this at some point soon (according to Nigel). I guess there were some problems with some of the rivets used and there's a possibility of a leak happening somewhere down the road. I don't remember exactly what Nigel said, but maybe something about bad rivets.

Anyway, they pulled the belly band and then tapped a thin metal thingie into each rivet to see if it was fine. All of mine were. Yay! The email will probably give far more detail than I just did. And won't use the word "thingie".

This morning I went back to ETI as I had forgotten to get them to look at a loose screw (no, not me! ) in the awning casing area at the front end. We put tape underneath as the screw was hanging down pretty good.

Turns out those screws are used for adjusting. My awning was sloping down pretty good at the front, so Reace did a bunch of adjustment to it this morning (out in the front parking lot; fortunately in the brief bit of sunshine that appeared). It still has a little bit of a tilt to the front, but that's okay as that's where the excess water will come down. He said one end needs to be lower than the other anyway.

He said that I need to be careful when I retract the awning. He suggested that I stop it just before it hits the metal lip that extends out to make sure it doesn't get caught underneath. That happened to someone and it really mucked things up. Mine was getting close to getting caught on the lip, so I'm really glad he adjusted it for me.

There's also some screws on top of this box-like mechanism that can stick out and tear the awning. Again, that happened to someone and ripped the awning. So, one more thing to add to the "things to check periodically" list.

It was quite windy, so I got to see the awning retract in the high winds. All worked well. Yay!

The trip was also a really good test for the anti-sway part of my hitch due to the strong winds for a good portion of my trip back. I could feel the winds hit the truck/trailer and I could feel movement, but it was never swaying or freaking me out. Yay and yay and yay!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 1721
Thank you for the report. I am happy to hear that ETI is continuing their work of addressing issues quickly as they arise. With anything new, the unknown occurs, but there is always a solution. Safe travels.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

He said that I need to be careful when I retract the awning. He suggested that I stop it just before it hits the metal lip that extends out to make sure it doesn't get caught underneath. That happened to someone and it really mucked things up. Mine was getting close to getting caught on the lip, so I'm really glad he adjusted it for me.
Yep it was us! The awning was retracting when we were at the Bluebonnet Rally a few days back - saw just before it went under the slide that it was going to go under the slide - too late to do anything. Didn't have remote in my hand at that instant - new awning is supposed to be arriving soon. Dometic notified the RV repair place that it is being shipped soon and will be covered under warranty. When it goes under that lip it twists the awning pretty good followed by a loud pop as the metal lip breaks away from the trailer! It had appeared to be on the way to doing that one time about two weeks before the catostrophic event but I saw it coming and pushed the awning up to clear the lip. Never did it again until Bluebonnet. By the way, not only was the lip ripped off, the plastic end cap broke as did one of the slide "thingies" at the outside rear of the awning. The awning also has a nasty tilt to it so I am assuming the arms got bent too. Reace was great to work with on getting the fix started and it looks like Dometic is stepping up to the plate.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did you ever have Escape plug those holes in the bath/exterior for you? How does it look now?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Did you ever have Escape plug those holes in the bath/exterior for you? How does it look now?
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yep, they fixed that, under warranty, and you can't even tell what happened. Nigel said they used "magic" when I complimented him on the work.

So, now I don't need to put a cat decal over it.

BTW, Reace said the guys in the shop were admiring my license plate frame. Covered with pictures of kitty cats.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Yep it was us! The awning was retracting when we were at the Bluebonnet Rally a few days back - saw just before it went under the slide that it was going to go under the slide - too late to do anything (snip).
Dang! Did it damage the fiberglass at all? I'd be worried about that.

And it could have happened to ours if I hadn't asked them to look at that loose screw. Whew!

Glad it's getting taken care of for ya.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Have to say, a practically new electric awning should not destroy itself when it retracts. Glad mine is manual.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Following.

John.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The awning story is difficult to read, ouch.. Sorry that happened Dave, hope it's a one time report.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
The awning story is scary
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Regarding the rivets, I didn't think there were any under the belly band. I thought the upper and lower halves were fiberglassed togetherer?
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Regarding the rivets, I didn't think there were any under the belly band. I thought the upper and lower halves were fiberglassed togetherer?
Likewise.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Glad mine is manual.
I'm with you Robert
Old 05-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The metal band that holds the plastic belly band has to be fastened to the trailer somehow. Has nothing to do with how the top and bottom shells are connected. The band is cosmetic.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe they can bring that magic thingie to the rally and test others...they pulled the belly band and then tapped a thin metal thingie into each rivet to see if it was fine.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe they can bring that magic thingie to the rally and test others...they pulled the belly band and then tapped a thin metal thingie into each rivet to see if it was fine.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Rivet, rivet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie aka South Wet Ontario a Frogs paradise
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pop goes the rivet

I've replaced three of the rivets in the front of the 19. Drill out the center, fish out the curly drillings, put in a new one. The first couple had the head snap off when I hit a bird about windshied high in Colorado. He slid over the Highlander roof and thump the belly band directly just off center of the trailer. Not a big job.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I've replaced three of the rivets in the front of the 19. Drill out the center, fish out the curly drillings, put in a new one. The first couple had the head snap off when I hit a bird about windshied high in Colorado. He slid over the Highlander roof and thump the belly band directly just off center of the trailer. Not a big job.
Dave
Good ole' pop rivets!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #19

Trailer: 17
Looking forward to the belly band Check. Thanks for sharing your info here to help folks out. Glad that silly brake controller is finally fixed for you.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #20

Trailer: None now
I'm going to have to quit reading this forum.
A question, the 2 right side corners where the metal wraps around the corner curves have the band flush against the body at the bottom. The left 2 do not, the front one one stands off about 1/2 inch at the widest and has holes in it where I assume rivets were to be installed. The back one is also off the body about the same amount and has a rivet floating in air.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote