Awning Deflapper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Awning Deflapper

I've set a budget for items I want to buy for my new 5er before I get it. This is one of those items.

Those that use awning deflappers, what kind did you get and how well do you like them? Here's Camping World's offerings for awning deflappers, for instance.

Thanks!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Donna,
I use the Awning Deflapper Max shown in the link you provided.
I always put one on each side or two if we're in a beach front site at the ocean. They go on easily & work very well.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The "Awning Deflapper"? Is that the device that when you clap your hands, the awning extends? Does Reace install that as an option?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Deflapper for awning

Donna, we used the max on the larger awning of a motor home (26') but on the 19 and now on the 21 we use the smaller units. I just pull tight enough to hold the awning without bending or applying pressure sideways on the horizontal awning support. The smaller units work fine, if the wind is quite strong or gusting then I also tie the awning down to stakes or the picnic table. No more getting up at 2 a.m. to retract the awning.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is that de-flapper supposed to do or stop?
If I anticipate high winds, I put the awning away. If not, it's just fine with proper tension applied before tightening the knob on the top support arm.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
awning deflapper

With light winds of 10 to 15 the awning will flap up and down at the ends even with a lot of tension from the bar adjustment. The resultant noise is enough to keep us awake as well as our neighbors, the deflappers grab the fabric in the center and hold it quite steady and quiet. We spend a lot of time outside and have the awning up most of the time, the minimal cost and minute it takes to secure the awning we feel is well worth the effort or insurance when gone.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never seen these things before, let alone used them. I know the awning does blow about in a hard wind, so I am going to check to see if something like this would help. I don't like to retract the awning unless absolutely necessary, especially if it is accompanied by rain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Actually, there is already a place on both awning arms to mount Carefree's own deflapper device. There should be a sticker already there that explains what the holes are for. It mounts with a provided rivet and the device swings down when not in use. Haven't put mine on yet (waiting for a nice day) and will post pictures when done. Look on Carefrees site.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We were staying in an rv park while attending a wedding last fall, and when the wind came up it blew a neighbors awning to pieces before anyone could come and rescue it. Great lessson to me on value of not leaving my awning unattended.

I had already adopted a practice of retracting my awning at night and whenever we leave our site. Given that the Escape awning only takes 1 person about 1 minute to setup or retract, this is not a difficult thing to do, and I do not worry at all about the effect of wind on my awning.

That being said, the Awning Declappers does look like it would be useful to have for those times when we are sitting under the awning during a wind.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In a good wind and rain, I retract the awning part way so I can stow folded chairs against the trailer, under the awning.
I've only experienced a problem once, in very high winds. In that case, I should have retracted the awning before going to bed.

After opening the awning, I pull down on the awning arm while tightening the knob on the top bar.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Donna D.

If Escape is still using Carefree Awnings. These attach directly to the awing arm, and seem to work just fine.

Amazon.com: Carefree (902801W) White Canopy Clamp, (Pack of 2): Automotive
2012 Nissan Frontier
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrillot View Post
Donna D.

If Escape is still using Carefree Awnings. These attach directly to the awing arm, and seem to work just fine.

Amazon.com: Carefree (902801W) White Canopy Clamp, (Pack of 2): Automotive
The nice thing about these is they are designed for the awnings we have on Escapes. Also, they attach permanently to the awning arms so you are not looking for them.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thank you ALL for your comments and replys. All are valuable.

What most don't realize is the edge of awnings stretch in the wind. The idea of an awning deflapper is to contain that stretch. I've seen awning edges that are kinda "scalloped" after a number of uses in wind.

This won't be a major concern, because the Escape awning is a roller-shade type. The awning on my current trailer must fit inside a case. I've seen where folks can't fit the awning inside the case due to stretch.

However, the awning on my soon-to-be 5er is seveal feet larger than the one on my Scamp... and more $$ to replace the awning fabric! I am willing to spend money ahead of time to prevent damage...

THANKS everyone for your help. It's very much appreciated, truly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I bought the carefree version. When I tried to install it I found the locking lever covers the holes in the front rail. That is on the 5.0. YMMV.

Dick
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
I have and sell the de-flapper at Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV. I always bring parts with me to our NOG's in the PNW.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I bought the carefree version. When I tried to install it I found the locking lever covers the holes in the front rail. That is on the 5.0. YMMV.

Dick
Dog gone it!! I bought them too and now that I checked since Dick's post, I find that the locking levers cover the bottom hole on the 15B also! Who installed the locking levers? I find it hard to believe that Carefree would have done that. Did Escape install the locking levers and cover up the holes for the accessory? One inch lower and we would have been ok or 5 inches higher. I will still be able to mount mine, but will have to drill a new hole and thread it for the knurled knob. Shoot! Don't know how I missed that.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wind is of great concern to me. We had serious gusts here yesterday --bad enough to get me running out to buy rebar and braided cable and turnbuckles. My lightweight backyard canopy seemed in eminent danger of blowing away.

I was able to anchor it down more better than it was, that seemed to save the day. The issue, however, is... just how windy was it? This need to know has got me looking at buying a wind gauge. Anyone have one they can report on? I see on eBay some hand-held models in the fifteen to twenty-bucks range, and of course, there is the seventy to two-hundred dollar ones, which I doubt I would break wind over.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #18

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wind is of great concern to me. We had serious gusts here yesterday --bad enough to get me running out to buy rebar and braided cable and turnbuckles. My lightweight backyard canopy seemed in eminent danger of blowing away.

I was able to anchor it down more better than it was, that seemed to save the day. The issue, however, is... just how windy was it? This need to know has got me looking at buying a wind gauge. Anyone have one they can report on? I see on eBay some hand-held models in the fifteen to twenty-bucks range, and of course, there is the seventy to two-hundred dollar ones, which I doubt I would break wind over.
The news last night said there had been gusts up to 48mph in Edgewood. Our wind gauge broke down years ago but we've had up to 60mph here at our house. Any awning or canopy in our area must REALLY be secured.....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Anyone have one they can report on?

I've got one like this, at least this is the closest I could find (indoor/outdoor temp and humidity). Seems they changed the styles of them at some point since I bought it. Found the wind gauge wears out after a few years but they sell replacement parts. Works well if you want to spend the $. The wind gauge is only as accurate as the sampling rate, more often is better.

AcuRite Pro Digital Weather Station with Forecast / Temperature / Humidity / Wind / Rain 01506
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
The Carefree website has a note for their deflapper: 'Does not work on curved arm applications' so I guess we'll get the standard ones. Make sure you have them if you're ever in Wyoming!

Kathie

PS Cool weather station Bob - thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
wyoming_windsock_acer.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote