awning mold, - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
m&k

Trailer: 2017 19' Sold
awning mold,

We purchased a 2015 21' escape this week and just got home. Previous owners had never opened the awning, and when we did it had a line of black dirt or mold at the end. I read all the posts on cleaning and do not want the cleaner to run down and remove the wax on trailer, so what do we use? Would vinegar work, or would that also dull the gel coat. Thank you so much. Marilyn
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Marilyn, if you clean the awning with it extended it won't get much on the trailer. I've used OxiClean on ours and it won't take off any wax or gel coat. Takes longer than bleach, but safer to deal with.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a label with instructions on the awning fabric when fully open ( on mine at least ). There are also instructions in the manual for the awning. They say to use mild soap and water and a soft brush.
I sprayed mine with Scrubbing Bubbles once, but only once ( it contains bleach ). I rinsed right away and thoroughly.
This is the shirt I was wearing.
Attached Thumbnails
shirt.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&k View Post
We purchased a 2015 21' escape this week and just got home. Previous owners had never opened the awning, and when we did it had a line of black dirt or mold at the end. I read all the posts on cleaning and do not want the cleaner to run down and remove the wax on trailer, so what do we use? Would vinegar work, or would that also dull the gel coat. Thank you so much. Marilyn
you might extend the awning and then put a tarp temporarily against the side of the trailer under the awning to shield it if need be..you could also increase the angle of the awning after putting the tarp against the trailer.
edited...just learned something new...not to clean top of awning with anything but soap and water.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Do not scrub the top of the awning! Yes, it gets funky looking, but there's a protectant on the top of the awning for UVs, etc. if you run your hand over the top, you can feel the difference. You can use soap and water on the top, but just allow that to work to clean the awning, don't scrub. Rinse thoroughly with water.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As the instructions say that Glenn mentioned, mild soap and water. The awning actually cleans very easily, we have found.
Yours may be much harder at this point and you may have to try to scrub well.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
m&k

thank you all. I did read manual and was going to use Dove dish soap, until I read a post that said if you want to remove your wax, use Dove soap. Well.....I did not want that to happen, so got confused. I do that easily. With the awning extended it is on the last of the roll, will start with water and see what happens. Is on underside not top of awning. Marilyn
Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
OxiClean is actually a pretty gentle cleaner when used at recommended mixtures, It is primarily perioxide, so it works well on organics like mold and eventually loses its extra oxygen atom and becomes water. After cleaning we give the awning a coat of 303 UV Protectant.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Use a mild liquid soap like Dawn and warm water in a bucket, then rinse a couple times with clean water. I use the same soft brush as I use on the car for top and underside. I don't think you can take the protectant off unless you are using something abrasive, your water or brush is dirty, or you use a strong chemical.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #10

I'd be careful using Dawn to use a very dilute mixture, as I have seen Dawn recommended as a wax remover.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #11

Dawn advertises that it is used to clean the feathers on oiled ducks. The premise is that it works and is safe.
I don't know that there is any soap that will clean, but not affect wax.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #12

Yep, Dawn is great for degreasing birds and cleaning greasy dishes, but it's not something I'd use on waxed vehicles unless I was trying to remove wax. When I asked the folks who make 303 if I could use it on the trailer that had already been waxed several times, they said it wouldn't do any good unless I washed the trailer in Dawn to remove the wax first.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
m&k

Thanks again it cleaned right up, used the soap on the awning "arms", looks good. Old folks, time to quit and take nap.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks again it cleaned right up, used the soap on the awning "arms", looks good. Old folks, time to quit and take nap.
Naps!

Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I read a post that said if you want to remove your wax, use Dove soap. Well.....I did not want that to happen, so got confused.
I think you mean Dawn, not Dove. While most dish soaps will at least partially strip a waxed surface, Dawn will strip it to the point where it squeaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Use a mild liquid soap like Dawn... .
Dawn is biodegradable, but I would never call it mild, at least in terms of its cleaning ability. It has been used for everything from stripping wax to rescuing oil fouled birds to industrial degreasing.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Do not scrub the top of the awning! Yes, it gets funky looking, but there's a protectant on the top of the awning for UVs, etc. if you run your hand over the top, you can feel the difference. You can use soap and water on the top, but just allow that to work to clean the awning, don't scrub. Rinse thoroughly with water.
OOPS! Too late...

Did coat with BTS after the dirty deed.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #17

How about Simonize Wash & Wax?
It's what I use to wash the trailer.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
OOPS! Too late...

Did coat with BTS after the dirty deed.

BTS?

Basic Tanning Solution
Big Tub of S(tuff)
Bitumen Tar Salve
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If there is a protectant, it didn't do much for the folks whose awnings ripped off right across there from being brittle. (One owner's did that in three years.) Such a protectant would probably only last a short time.

We put 303 Aerospace up there to protect from UV, not something I thought of with the last Escape but doing it on this one. The underside when rolled gets especially dirty and is easily cleaned. The top side doesn't get that dirty. Yes, a rinse should be enough but I would add 303.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If there is a protectant, it didn't do much for the folks whose awnings ripped off right across there from being brittle. (One owner's did that in three years.) Such a protectant would probably only last a short time.
For any condition for any situation we can always find an anomaly. If an awning is properly taken care of, it can last for years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote