Awning Trouble After 4 Years - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Awning Trouble After 4 Years

Hi all,

Looking for some insight into our awning fabric that seems to be failing after 4 years. We were one of the ones that switched mid-build in 2018 when they introduced the option to have a manual awning instead of a power awning, we opted for the manual awning. They had already installed the track for the power awning, so installed the manual awning track over it. It’s dark or I’d include a photo- I’m not sure if it’s normal (when not in use) that the roll of awning fabric sits above the attachment point of the fabric on the track- creating a sort of gutter where potentially water can sit.

We have only put the awning out for use 3-4 times and when wet, left it out to dry when we got home. It seems that the fabric is only rotting and has holes in it in the first few inches of it closest to the trailer where it is exposed to the elements. We have always covered it for the winter with the exception of the last year when we did a late season camping trip and then didn’t have a series of dry days for it to dry out enough to cover.

Our Boler never had an awning, but I’m assuming it’s premature for the fabric to fail after 4 years, so just trying to troubleshoot what went wrong before we invest in new fabric. Replacing it every 4 years is too much!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Hi all,

Looking for some insight into our awning fabric that seems to be failing after 4 years. We were one of the ones that switched mid-build in 2018 when they introduced the option to have a manual awning instead of a power awning, we opted for the manual awning. They had already installed the track for the power awning, so installed the manual awning track over it. It’s dark or I’d include a photo- I’m not sure if it’s normal (when not in use) that the roll of awning fabric sits above the attachment point of the fabric on the track- creating a sort of gutter where potentially water can sit.

We have only put the awning out for use 3-4 times and when wet, left it out to dry when we got home. It seems that the fabric is only rotting and has holes in it in the first few inches of it closest to the trailer where it is exposed to the elements. We have always covered it for the winter with the exception of the last year when we did a late season camping trip and then didn’t have a series of dry days for it to dry out enough to cover.

Our Boler never had an awning, but I’m assuming it’s premature for the fabric to fail after 4 years, so just trying to troubleshoot what went wrong before we invest in new fabric. Replacing it every 4 years is too much!
My awning fabric has a couple holes in it and it's a 2020. The only thing I don't like about the trailer.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Mine is 8 years old and all of a sudden on this trip it has many little holes where it meets the roof. I have an extra that was a result of a warranty claim with Carefree as our awning partially unfurled on first trip.

Since yours is out of warranty Carefree may decide to talk with you about a discount on a replacement. They wouldn't talk with me about a warranty claim- they are the only Vendor I know of that one has to go through Escape for coverage.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'd like to see a photo of your installation. Sounds like the potential for some abrasion with the awning track that was installed?

The exposed section of fabric not rolled up has always seemed a bit vulnerable to UV so my wife made a cover out of Sunbrella scraps that protects it when not in use and when the trailer cover isn't on.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0034_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We have just changed our awning fabric a few weeks ago. The original awning had a couple of holes from a hail storm last year, right at the top close to the track . It did not actually leak, but as it was 10 years old we decided to get a new one from Carefree of Colorado.
Oh what a pain - with exact measurements and an exact drawing ( I have drawing experience ) they still did not send the correct size ... and they are now tapered . The replacement fabric is also lighter than the original .
We ended up taking the awning to a local shop for adjustment , an extra $50. on top of the nearly $ 500. we paid Carefree.
Lesson learned - take exact measurement and find a local awning business.
In spite of telling me that they would be sending the correct size to replace the original , they sent the closest stock size to it. Hugely disappointing. Consider shopping local wherever you may be .

oops ... it's sidewards ( Phone pic )
I have added a side view pic to show the mount at the track, it does create a bit if a "rill' for water, there are pinholes from stitching , but they do not leak.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2022, 04:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
We have just changed our awning fabric a few weeks ago. The original awning had a couple of holes from a hail storm last year, right at the top close to the track . It did not actually leak, but as it was 10 years old we decided to get a new one from Carefree of Colorado.
Oh what a pain - with exact measurements and an exact drawing ( I have drawing experience ) they still did not send the correct size ... and they are now tapered . The replacement fabric is also lighter than the original .
We ended up taking the awning to a local shop for adjustment , an extra $50. on top of the nearly $ 500. we paid Carefree.
Lesson learned - take exact measurement and find a local awning business.
In spite of telling me that they would be sending the correct size to replace the original , they sent the closest stock size to it. Hugely disappointing. Consider shopping local wherever you may be .
Sorry to hear this was such a difficult experience. When I ordered new fabric online from Carefree last summer I was able to input the serial number from the original tag on the awning which allowed them to send exactly what I needed. Sad they couldn't get it right for you because all they really need is the center-to-center measurement on the awning arms and the extension length to make the correct size awning.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Mine is 8 years old and all of a sudden on this trip it has many little holes where it meets the roof. I have an extra that was a result of a warranty claim with Carefree as our awning partially unfurled on first trip.

Since yours is out of warranty Carefree may decide to talk with you about a discount on a replacement. They wouldn't talk with me about a warranty claim- they are the only Vendor I know of that one has to go through Escape for coverage.
Escape only warrants their build process all third party issues need to go thru the original manufacturer.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

Maybe things have changed, however at the time Carefree absolutely would not talk to me about a warranty issue- it had to go through the OEM - in this case ETI.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #9
AnJ

Thanks for all your input. The mention of the hailstorm reminded us that we did have a random, very short hailstorm in the Spring. I wonder if that is what the damage is? For those with holes in the awning, what did they look like? I posted a photo of the holes in ours.

I hope we don’t have too many issues with replacing it. If the manual awning didn’t leave so many holes in the fibreglass of the trailer, at this point, we would honestly consider switching to the power awning, seeing as the track is already there and it’s at least put away. Probably with the CDN exchange rate from Carefree for the fabric, we will be looking at a similar cost to replacing the whole thing with a power awning.

I did see that Carefree sells a guard with some of their products. I also saw on Adventures in Nomadness’ YouTube video they recently posted someone had some fitted plastic tubes that slide on while parked, so we may go that route if we can find them.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
52E5B503-A647-44DB-9056-5FF0F868F8D6.jpg   5DEFA1F3-B8B1-4B91-94D6-72FFDDF85E52.jpg   C69768B3-03B1-48DA-89CA-4859526D8B38.jpg  
Old 10-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:

at this point, we would honestly consider switching to the power awning, seeing as the track is already there and it’s at least put away.

I did see that Carefree sells a guard with some of their products. I also saw on Adventures in Nomadness’ YouTube video they recently posted someone had some fitted plastic tubes that slide on while parked, so we may go that route if we can find them.

Thanks again!
If you get to sit outside, in the dry, next to the trailer in a torrential rainstorm with the rain forming a waterfall off the end you might be glad that you don't have an awning that would have already retracted or that you had to use a pole in the center to prop up. Manual awning; so much more versatile.

I can't see using plastic pipes to protect the exposed bit of awning when the soft cover in post #4 is so easy to make and folds up into a compact package for storage.

Ron
Old 10-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Thanks for all your input. ... For those with holes in the awning, what did they look like? I posted a photo of the holes in ours....

Thanks again!
Four or five years back I had a hole in my awning on the 19' at the same location and about the same shape and size as those that you show in your picture. I had some Eternabond adhesive tape left over from taping solar panels to the roof of my 15B so I cut a small piece of adhesive tape and placed it over the hole. It has worked well and is still holding up today 4-5 years later. If I had the same holes that you have, I would forgo the new fabric for a while and just see how long a simple tape repair may hold up.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Smile

re: I can't see using plastic pipes to protect the exposed bit of awning when the soft cover in post #4 is so easy to make and folds up into a compact package for storage.

And she chose a very pretty cover. This thread has got me thinking it is time to unfurl my manual awning (for probably the fourth time in 9 years) to see if there's any holes in it. Not today, though-- rain all day. If needed I have some Eternabond tape here someplace.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

Ditto on the hail causing our new holes. On our 2nd day out near Gallup we got walloped and had to pull over under an overpass. Fortunately it didn't break the Transit windshield- that would've been the third in less than two years.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I wonder about just sewing UV tolerant fabric to cover the exposed portion of the awning fabric when retracted. Similar to sailboat sails when they are furled. The UV protective cover can be replaced without replacing the entire sail or awning.

Another option would be to have the exposed portion of the awning made of a more UV tolerant fabric rather than covering it. Maybe it isn't worth the effort or it would create other problems.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We recently noticed some pin holes and topside vinyl deterioration in the first 8" of our 7 year old awning near the trailer body. This corresponds to the portion that is still exposed to sun when the manual awning is rolled up. We contacted Carefree, who emailed us some days later that they had a repair kit for between $30-$40.
But, in the mean time, we had gotten out our Calmark cover patch kit (provided with the cover) and following their instructions, used a portion of the Sunbrella patches and the included E6000 clear cement, to effect a repair.
It worked well, is flexible enough, and we are planning to coat the entire exposed portion of the awning and patches with some vinyl fabric paint to hide the patch and protect the sun-exposed portions of the closed awning, including the sewn edge right next to the channel at the trailer body.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I wonder about just sewing UV tolerant fabric to cover the exposed portion of the awning fabric when retracted. Similar to sailboat sails when they are furled. The UV protective cover can be replaced without replacing the entire sail or awning.
Sacrificial Sunbrella on a sail luff certainly does save it from UV deterioration. I'd only have one concern and that's the row of stitching parallel to the trailer side. It must create about a thousand little holes and given the apparent lack of durability of this fabric might create a "tear along the perforation" situation.

I think the most practical repair would be awning repair tape or Eternabond tape which is certainly standing up very well on my solar panel installation.

Ron
Old 10-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just an FYI that Carefree has several options to help protect a rolled up Fiesta awning but none are aftermarket solutions. Must be ordered with the canopy. When I recently replaced fabric I ordered the vinyl weatherguard. Not sure if the stock awning had it or not. Looking into the options further I probably should have went with the Flxguard.
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/r...ic-protection/
Old 10-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #18
AnJ

Thank you all for some VERY valuable information. You’ve given us lots to consider that we had not thought of. Keeping the trailer in good, functioning order is important to us, but at the same time, paying for a new awning every few years is not suitable. We will look into these patching options and go about finding a way to patch it rather than replace it and see how that does.

I also agree- it just seems too smart to have a UV protecting fabric, at least on the first few inches that are regularly exposed to the elements, on the awning. Of course, they may lose some business for it as they’d last longer. That is definitely something that we will look into when the time does come to replace them.

Many thanks, folks! Have a great day!
Old 10-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The last couple-4 months my 2013 19 has been out in the sunshine here. The last few weeks however, got consistent rain (bummer for the just ended ABQ Balloon Festival). Sunny today so decided it was time to unfurl my 9 year old but rarely used canopy, to see if there's any holes. It was a little wet and noticed there's a slight rusty strip running its length at the top. Otherwise no holes, though. Seems in good shape. Cannot account for these few noticeable depressions.
Attached Thumbnails
can8.jpg  
Old 10-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sacrificial Sunbrella on a sail luff certainly does save it from UV deterioration. I'd only have one concern and that's the row of stitching parallel to the trailer side. It must create about a thousand little holes and given the apparent lack of durability of this fabric might create a "tear along the perforation" situation.

I think the most practical repair would be awning repair tape or Eternabond tape which is certainly standing up very well on my solar panel installation.

Ron
I had some holes in my sunbrella boat cover from rub spots that I repaired. Some Sunbrella cut to cover and 3M 5200 applied as glue took care of it. No stitching holes and the 5200 is permanent.

The same method should work with an awning cover. 3M 5200 is some amazing stuff - just don't get it anywhere you don't want it as it's not coming off.