Axle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot
Axle

Has anyone had an issue with tires wearing oddly? We have a 21 5.0 TA, tandem axle, Our left rear and right front tires are worn on the interior, we haven’t even owned the rig for 2 months! Dexer Axle is the manufacture of the axel- curious if anyone has had an issue with this product Escape is using.
Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have never heard of such an issue on Escape trailers. IF all 4 tires were wearing on the inside it would point to an overloaded trailer. But opposite inside tire wear points to damaged suspension in some way like hitting a deep pothole at speed. This is from the Les Schwab Tire store site:

"If all four tires are wearing heavily on the inside, the trailer is probably overloaded.

Trailer axles are built with a slight upward curve in the middle. When the trailer is unloaded, the tops of the tires lean slightly outward (toed-out, or duck-footed). When they are carrying the weight of whatever’s loaded, the axles straighten to a flat position and the tires come to a straight up-and-down position.

When the load is too heavy, the axle bows downward in the middle, causing the tires to roll pigeon-toed (more on the inside shoulder of the tires). That’s not the normal contact patch for tires, and you’ll see pronounced wear there.

Another possibility is the axle has been flipped over (the bow in the axle that is supposed to be pointed up is actually pointed down).

If only one tire is wearing faster on the inside, you may have a bent suspension part, like a spindle. This can cause one tire to skid rather than roll smoothly down the road, creating heat and friction that wears out the rubber."

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/tr...questions.html

I would suggest that you contact both ETI and a service center that works on Dexter Axels in your area and have the suspension inspected for damage. This is a very unusual situation.

Good Luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT-20
Check your wheel bearings. Jack it up one wheel at a time. If your wheel and tire wiggles just a little, the bearings are loose. Simple fix, don’t over think it.
Mszabokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think I'd talk to ETI as this is a brand new trailer, sounds like a warranty thing to me.

Here's one thread on the subject. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ear-15202.html
Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would check the alignment. If the two axles are not quite parallel, they would be pointing slightly different directions, and the described wear pattern would be a reasonably expected result. The axle/suspension assemblies themselves are not adjustable, and are rarely anything other than straight, but they are separately attached to the trailer's frame... and even if installed perfectly they can get bent.

I would probably check the alignment myself (with a level, framing square, and strings), but any alignment shop that can fit the trailer into their alignment bay could check it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axel, tandem axle, tires, tires wearing