Axle trouble 2019 E21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Axle trouble 2019 E21

We noticed significant, uneven tire wear on the d/s front axle tire. Put a straight edge on it and found it to be out of alignment by `~5/8". We called Dexter to file a warranty claim but they need the serial number of the axle. We cannot see a serial number on the white tag (tag installed upside down and under insulation) nor can we find a serial number stamped on the axle center front face where Dustin indicated it could be found. We also found out that Escape does not keep a record of serial numbers of axles for their trailers. Can anyone offer any thoughts on how to determine the axle serial number on our E21? Where the heck is it? Or, possibly suggest a repair shop in Santa Fe or Albuquerque NM who can help us with this problem?

Final thought- if you have a trailer on order from Escape but have not picked it up yet, I would ask them to record both axle serial numbers on your paperwork. That would have saved a ton of trouble for us.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We noticed significant, uneven tire wear on the d/s front axle tire. Put a straight edge on it and found it to be out of alignment by `~5/8". We called Dexter to file a warranty claim but they need the serial number of the axle. We cannot see a serial number on the white tag (tag installed upside down and under insulation) nor can we find a serial number stamped on the axle center front face where Dustin indicated it could be found. We also found out that Escape does not keep a record of serial numbers of axles for their trailers. Can anyone offer any thoughts on how to determine the axle serial number on our E21? Where the heck is it? Or, possibly suggest a repair shop in Santa Fe or Albuquerque NM who can help us with this problem?

Final thought- if you have a trailer on order from Escape but have not picked it up yet, I would ask them to record both axle serial numbers on your paperwork. That would have saved a ton of trouble for us.

Ronda & Angie (Advenures in Nomadness) put out a very helpful video regarding their bent trailer axle. At about 8 min in, they show how they found their axle number, underneath their trailer. Impressive! Perhaps this will help you find yours.

https://youtu.be/CN-eO4C0I4I

We also had trouble locating our axle number and could not agree with you more regarding those who have a trailer on order - please ask ETI to record your axle serial numbers on your paperwork and on the paper located inside the trailer with all the other serial numbers.

We found Dexter to be responsive and helpful but they really need that axle number. Hope you find yours and are able to get it fixed soon. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Bea, thanks for the reply. Yes, we watched that video yesterday and thought we would find the serial number easily this afternoon. We can definitely say it is not in the center of the axle on the side facing the front of the trailer. There is not much room to maneuver under our trailer with spray foam on the tanks but we are sure it is not there. Where exactly did you find your axle serial number?
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
We can definitely say it is not in the center of the axle on the side facing the front of the trailer.
In the video she says the stamping is on the backside of the axle. Did you check there?
Old 01-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #5
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Bea, thanks for the reply. Yes, we watched that video yesterday and thought we would find the serial number easily this afternoon. We can definitely say it is not in the center of the axle on the side facing the front of the trailer. There is not much room to maneuver under our trailer with spray foam on the tanks but we are sure it is not there. Where exactly did you find your axle serial number?
Chama
Funny you ask. The short answer is, we have yet to find it! I should've said earlier, we are STILL having trouble locating it. The local RV place who did our Dexter warranty job (a simple dust cap installation) could NOT find our axle number and neither can we. I was really hoping Angie and Rhonda's method would help you, but for us, we're not as limber so scraping the axle with a yard stick has not yielded anything for us....yet.

Because our warranty job was so small (less than $100) , the good company that Dexter is, went ahead and reimbursed us but that was after months and months of long repetitive emails and headaches from our local RV/Dexter service center place, who already did the job (a place I will never go back to). Before sending me the check, Dexter lectured me on how important is was to know your axle number, yada yada...and I totally agreed with them! I then sent ETI an email, kindly asking them to inform their future customers of their axle numbers, in the paperwork. So now, our plan is take our trailer to a different Dexter center when we have future work done and ask them to PLEASE find our axle number for us!

So all this to say, sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope you find yours...and when you do, please let us know how you found it!! Thanks so much, Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
From Dexter re: serial number location:
https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...n.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Before our new axles were installed I took photographs of the pertinent information on our new axles. On our second old axle the white paper easily came off.

However, this August will be two years on the second axle replacement, so the warranty will have expired.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-13-2021, 11:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 17B
The serial number is on the backside and center of the axle. We have a 2020 17B but the axles should be similar.
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote