Back up camera? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2023, 06:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
Back up camera?

Has anyone had experience with this backup camera. It sounds good, but who knows...
https://rvstrailer.com/products/back...44503938564327
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: WTB: E19
I have not but we were thinking about getting a USB camera and mounting it inside and aiming it out the back window.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
I have not but we were thinking about getting a USB camera and mounting it inside and aiming it out the back window.
As long as your window is clean and no bug screen this should work. On this trip down to AZ my back window, the lens on my escape installed back up camera where so dirty with rain and road film you couldn't see anything except blurs.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Thinking of getting the Garmin Mini 2 Dashcam for the back window. Pretty small with easy mount and USB at the back of trailer. Should work in Live view with the iPhone.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731428
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:10 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
Thinking of getting the Garmin Mini 2 Dashcam for the back window. Pretty small with easy mount and USB at the back of trailer. Should work in Live view with the iPhone.

Very interesting piece. Definitely something I'm considering.

The Tandem is interesting. Not only is it small but I can mounting this inside the Escape with the added benefit of being able to see what's going on inside. But is that worth more than twice the price?

The big question is whether the signal will reach from the rear of a 21C to the dashboard for a Ford F150.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post

I’m with Willy on this, definitely interested in hearing if someone tries this out.

The one thing that I’ve heard from people that have backup cameras, is that there are no markers for width or depth of view. So you can see what’s behind you, but it’s hard to tell how close or far it is.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I have the camera that comes from Escape, it’s working out with no problems.
I almost didn’t get it as an option but it’s turned out to be really helpful, my bikes were swaying way too much and with the camera I could try a few different ways to help that out.
Attached Thumbnails
8563A239-352D-43F3-BD67-D28332DF87B5.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I have the camera that comes from Escape, it’s working out with no problems.
I almost didn’t get it as an option but it’s turned out to be really helpful, my bikes were swaying way too much and with the camera I could try a few different ways to help that out.
What kind of bike carrier do you have?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
What kind of bike carrier do you have?
It’s a 1up.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
It’s a 1up.
I lost the original lock on my 1up. I bought a new one from Walmart that holds the rack to the trailer without letting it slide to the rear. FWIW

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TowSmart-...pans/447212187
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
The Furrion camera Escape was using in 2020 and may still be using didn't work on all tow vehicles and probably still doesn't. Escape referred me to Furrion and Furrion wanted me to buy A $100+ fix that plugged into the 7-pin electric connector. I did what others figured out was needed and installed an electrical capacitor device in the Furrion circuit. Now the only problem I have with the Furrion system is that the receiver on the dash overheats and shuts down. I don't know which vehicles the camera doesn't work with but suspect it is vehicles with LED lights and or circuitry that checks for non operative vehicle lights. Maybe Furrion fixed the problem in the last couple years. I bought my fix on Amazon.

One thing to consider is whether you want to be able to operate the camera while in the trailer and whether you might want to add additional cameras. Think night time noise or watching wildlife checking you out, or ....

Escape connects the camera to the tow vehicle lighting circuit so you will not be able to operate it unless plugged in to the tow vehicle and the tow vehicle lights are turned on.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Wonder if Garmin will have a booth at the RV show in Quartzsite. Would be nice to see and touch before buying.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Wonder if Garmin will have a booth at the RV show in Quartzsite. Would be nice to see and touch before buying.
I've never see a Garmin booth at the show, although someone might be selling them.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 19’
I only want to use the camera for backing up. As someone else said, I wonder if the WIFI signal that the camera generates will be strong enough to reach my dash. I suppose I could just buy it and return it if necessary.
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I bought the ETI backup camera with our 2021 E19 (TV=2021 Kia Telluride): the system has worked well, and is useful when backing into campsites. It's not very useful while driving, because the camera view angle is so wide that you can't assess traffic conditions behind you/how close vehicles are following/traffic in adjacent lanes. So It doesn't replace the benefit of extended vehicle side mirrors. (I tried locating clamp-on aftermarket mirrors online, but have not found any that can adequately clamp onto the existing (slippery) side mirrors ( the ones i bought/clamped on fell off immediately).
jeffhaltiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I like it on my 5.0; bought the option egg green I had it built.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21NE
backup camera

We use Garmin DriveSmart 65 GPS in our tow SUV for navigation locally and on the road.
I added a Garmin "BC™ 40 Wireless Backup Camera With License Plate Mount" to the back of our 2022 21NE.
It connects using Bluetooth and works fine from the back of the trailer to the dash of the car. This keeps the number of devices on dash to a low number, 1.

BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
The Furrion camera Escape was using in 2020 and may still be using didn't work on all tow vehicles and probably still doesn't. Escape referred me to Furrion and Furrion wanted me to buy A $100+ fix that plugged into the 7-pin electric connector. I did what others figured out was needed and installed an electrical capacitor device in the Furrion circuit. Now the only problem I have with the Furrion system is that the receiver on the dash overheats and shuts down. I don't know which vehicles the camera doesn't work with but suspect it is vehicles with LED lights and or circuitry that checks for non operative vehicle lights. Maybe Furrion fixed the problem in the last couple years. I bought my fix on Amazon.

One thing to consider is whether you want to be able to operate the camera while in the trailer and whether you might want to add additional cameras. Think night time noise or watching wildlife checking you out, or ....

Escape connects the camera to the tow vehicle lighting circuit so you will not be able to operate it unless plugged in to the tow vehicle and the tow vehicle lights are turned on.
My 7" Furion camera system on my 21C worked fine with my F-150. If you want to operate the camera system while not plugged into the tow vehicle, but plugged into shore power, there is an adapter plug that goes on the end of the Escape 7-pin plug that will power the Escape driving lights and license plate light along with the camera. I forgot what the adapter plug is called. They are on Amazon.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Milenco arro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhaltiner View Post
I bought the ETI backup camera with our 2021 E19 (TV=2021 Kia Telluride): the system has worked well, and is useful when backing into campsites. It's not very useful while driving, because the camera view angle is so wide that you can't assess traffic conditions behind you/how close vehicles are following/traffic in adjacent lanes. So It doesn't replace the benefit of extended vehicle side mirrors. (I tried locating clamp-on aftermarket mirrors online, but have not found any that can adequately clamp onto the existing (slippery) side mirrors ( the ones i bought/clamped on fell off immediately).
The milenco aero mirrors can be found for $89 a pair at on Amazon and they worked and are working great for me..
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Also having great satisfaction with the DM-2912 Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors. Very beneficial on the road and when backing up.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote