Bad tire on my 2016 19'. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19'
Bad tire on my 2016 19'.

Hi guys,
I'm in the shop for the 2nd time in a month for a flat tire. First time was a chunk of metal in the tread - they drilled it out and it looked fixed.
But this morning as I was hooking up after a 3wk stay, I found the tire down (33psi). So, I'm back in the shop - hoping they can fix it for real.

If they can't, I'm thinking of having the spare tire put on and then buying a new tire for the spare. That way all trailer tires would still be all the same brand. And, the spare, probably a different brand/model, could be used for emergencies only.

I've heard it's best to have the same brand, model, etc on the trailer since tires can vary a bit. But, I'm hesitant to do a lot of replacing on tires since these are only 2 years old (13,500 miles on the tires).

Thoughts??
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Anne make sure they put a patch on the inside of the tire not just a plug in the hole.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
Hi guys,
I'm in the shop for the 2nd time in a month for a flat tire. First time was a chunk of metal in the tread - they drilled it out and it looked fixed.
But this morning as I was hooking up after a 3wk stay, I found the tire down (33psi). So, I'm back in the shop - hoping they can fix it for real.

If they can't, I'm thinking of having the spare tire put on and then buying a new tire for the spare. That way all trailer tires would still be all the same brand. And, the spare, probably a different brand/model, could be used for emergencies only.

I've heard it's best to have the same brand, model, etc on the trailer since tires can vary a bit. But, I'm hesitant to do a lot of replacing on tires since these are only 2 years old (13,500 miles on the tires).

Thoughts??
We had one tire pick up a piece of metal and the tire pressure sensors that screw on the valve caps let us know it was losing air. I had it fixed and swapped it and the spare tire. It is holding air so it makes a good spare.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are home, I'd put on the spare and have someone order a direct replacement.

If on the road you kind of have to take what they have or can get quickly unless you have time to wait. Depending on what you have for rims, I'd try and end up with 4 of the same rims and tires on the trailer and whatever is left for the spare, whether that's the repaired tire or an off brand new one.

Personally I wouldn't trust running on a repaired tire any longer then I had to, especially on a long trip.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H View Post
Hi guys,

Thoughts??
Before replacing the tire I would find out what kind of repair was done. There are Patch/plug combinations made by "TECH" that will still qualify a High Speed rated tire to retain its rating with one patch. The fact that they drilled it indicates that it may have been one of these repairs. I used to work on State Trooper vehicles and they are the only people that I ever saw reject repairing a tire at all even with TECH patches. One thing also to consider is if the tire is leaking at the same spot. You may only have a valve core or stem leak that occurred when the tire was repaired. This all being said, I would still put the tire on as a spare even if the tire was repaired properly.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m not a fan of running on repaired tires either but have at times. The good internal radial patches are superior to a plug in the tire in my opinion. Personally, I would put the repaired tire on the spare rack, change to running the new spare on the trailer and regularly check the pressure in the repaired spare. If it doesn’t hold air perfectly, I’d buy a new one. I’ve fixed hundreds of tires, used to do five or six a night back in the gas station days and although things have changed in the tire world, I still like to run tires without repairs to them.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
.. Personally, I would put the repaired tire on the spare rack, change to running the new spare on the trailer and regularly check the pressure in the repaired spare. If it doesn’t hold air perfectly, I’d buy a new one...
Iowa Dave

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well, the first patch was a plug/patch and it didn't appear to be leaking from there; checked the valve and it was OK. Checked everywhere but couldn't find a definite leak anywhere.

So, he put the spare on.

There was a suspicious scrape just off the tread (very high on the side wall) - but he couldn't make it leak by pressing around on it. Thoughts are that it might be a slow leak when under the weight of the trailer.
Put some green slime flat fix into the tire and, for the time being, as long as it holds air and until I can get a replacement, it'll be the spare.

Thanks for all the help!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You did good, Anne...exactly what I would have done.