Bad wiring blew electrical current on a 90 degree day - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
Bad wiring blew electrical current on a 90 degree day

I'm writing this to emphasize the importance of checking your wiring. I know it's been discussed before, and I'm here to say you need to take it seriously.
Pulled into south Georgia yesterday afternoon, with temps around 90. A nice RV resort that, I discovered, had electricians on site.
Plugged in the electrical cord to get AC and fridge working, all was good.
10 minutes later, it wasn't.
Two hours later, with workers having to pull up the bed and crawl into the small space underneath, the wrapped wiring running to the exterior outlet had lost connection. Their words?
"Bad workmanship".
The insulation had not been stripped far enough back to allow a good connection. The place where the ends met had been "arcing badly". The connection held on as long as it could, then gave up. Eric showed me the plastic housing where it's screwed in, and it was burnt.
Also sent me a picture via email to show the wiring.
I have a 2015 19 ft, purchased used from a lovely couple last fall. Love this trailer, but Escape industries doesn't walk on water. To be blunt, the wiring in my Escape was unsafe.
I was so fortunate to be in a nice park, with needed services available. The guys went past working hrs, and I'll be paying overtime, but it's worth it.
Pls check your wiring.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'd like to see that picture.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

I'll try and post later today when I'm settled into my next stop.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and please update your avatar to reflect your Escape trailer....
Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I was confused for a minute. your profile says 2010 casita.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
1) We had a similar issue with our kitchen receptacle , it wood heat up when plugging in a high current load ( electric heater , electric griddle ) The wiring commections on the plug were not done properly . The type of receptacles Escape uses are noted for having connection problems / issues . I have repaired the same receptacle problems in a friends stick built trailer
He was using his outside receptacle to run his electric griddle and the load destroyed the receptacle

2) Our 12 VDC range hood light and fan were acting eratic ( Light blinked — fan would not stay running at a constant speed . Cause = loose splice

3) Refrigerator would turn on and off eratically Cause = Loose 12 VDC terminations
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Reading about these types of occurrences is both frustrating and worrisome. These issues need to be reported to ETI in addition to posting on the forum and, hopefully, addressed by someone at ETI. While we all feel ETI does a great job, seeing posts about cracked frames, solar panels blowing off, plumbing issues (I.e., leaking black tanks), wiring issues, etc., makes one wonder ...... Most owners aren't adept in fixing these problems nor would they know how to troubleshoot things like checking their entire trailer's electrical system so I guess we're at the mercy of fate.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

Myron,
If you will pm your email address, I will send the pic.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

I actually still have the 2014 Casita...I've had it for sale off and on, but haven't tried very hard and can't quite part with it yet. It's a fundamentally different kind of camping.
I didn't think I'd ever be posting again, so didn't update my avatar.
For anyone wanting to check the cord connection where you plug in... the guys tried for a half hour to unscrew the receptacle from the fiberglass and then pull it out.
But it takes two people...one on the inside to hold some kind of thingie and one on the outside to unscrew...at least on my trailer.
Hence, they had to come inside and dissemble the bed. Luckily there was one skinny guy who could squeeze in between those slats.