Bathroom Door Gap - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
This is a result of poor workmanship and not caring about doing the job correctly. Their explanation is just making a excuse for lack of quality checking. Excuses only satisfy the ones giving them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
My 21 C, I received in January of last year was the same way. I shimmed the hinges to even up the gap. It’s fair but not great. At that time there were many manufacturing problems being brought up, and the new owner posters were receiving flack from many on the forum that either had older better built trailers, or not technically inclined to differentiate otherwise. I just remained silent. Glad it is now being brought up so the factory may or may not address the situation. It appears they are not interested.
If one is not handy with carpentry, plumbing, or electrical, it may be best to avoid all travel trailers.
Lesson learned, from here out, trust your gut, don’t remain silent. Those people would’ve appreciated your input and support in their search.

I make my living being handy with those things, its relatively easy for me to spot those who really only know very little yet speak loudly…

I’ve learned most of what I know from others and I’ve shown a few a little something now and then. The arrogance of those who look down on those who have yet to learn what they know is not an attractive quality, in any field.

By the way, original poster, see if Escape will send the materials for a new door, it just needs to be sent a little longer and a good carpenter will be able to make it so you won’t notice the campers imperfection. Those at Escape do seem fairly reasonable, win win…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I fail to see the importance of the gap size in the bath door. The door is there for privacy and accomplishes that function, the size of the gap does not impact that function, or am I missing some salient point?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I fail to see the importance of the gap size in the bath door. The door is there for privacy and accomplishes that function, the size of the gap does not impact that function, or am I missing some salient point?

Gap size isn't the issue. It's the square and plumb of the door to the opening. Personally, it would drive me crazy.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Rather than hassle with another door, I'd make something creative for the top of the door and affix it to the outside top. Doing that would still keep the gap at the top for air, but would cover up the non-plumb issue.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Rather than hassle with another door, I'd make something creative for the top of the door and affix it to the outside top. Doing that would still keep the gap at the top for air, but would cover up the non-plumb issue.
Great idea....
Old 06-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My personal opinion is that it looks butt ugly the way it is. If Escape does not remedy it, I would fix it myself. I would remove the upper and left hand side plastic mouldings and trim the top of the opening above the door to be parallel with the top of the door. I would then reinstall the mouldings if they will still fit. If they do not fit (because the door opening is slightly larger), I would install new mouldings.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Resale if nothing else.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Resale if nothing else.
No one has ever looked at my bathroom door gap on the last 4 Escapes I have sold....the demand for them far exceeds the need for cosmetic fixes....they normally sell within 24 hours of posting, some sight unseen.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
No one has ever looked at my bathroom door gap on the last 4 Escapes I have sold....the demand for them far exceeds the need for cosmetic fixes....they normally sell within 24 hours of posting, some sight unseen.
Hi: cpaharley2008... The only sight unseen in the bathroom is my gap... where the sun don't shine!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I just looked at my 2019 21C. There is a slight different between the left and right gap at the top of the bathroom door, maybe ⅛". I never noticed it, and it doesn't bother me now that I have. Can't even see the bottom of the door unless I lie down on the floor.

My son just bought a 2022 KZ hybrid (three pop-out tents for his kids). Compared to the KZ, my Escape's interior furnishings are a first-class resort. Well, except for the medicine cabinet: KZ's is better than the Escape's.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #31
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
One additional comment that slipped my mind the first time, is that Escape has outsourced the fiberglass bathroom enclosure as well as the front storage box. They started this less than a year ago if I remember what Melissa told me when we were there earlier this month.

I remember this because we did not want the medicine cabinet and were told that while that was possible before, now it is not because the bathroom is outsourced and when Escape has asked (per customer request) to not make a cutout for the medicine cabinet so it can be left out, the enclosure always arrived with the medicine cabinet hole cut out anyway. So Escape has stopped asking.

So they have a supplier who does not listen to them very well, and while I do not know exactly how the fiberglass bathroom insert impacts the plumb of the door, it might. Therefore your issue may be with a somewhat faulty bathroom insert - IF - that has anything to do with how the door is hung. Again, I'm making an assumption here that it does, so it would be better if someone who currently has a 21C to comment on that.

In my past life, part of my job was doing production line analysis for Dept. of Defense as part of contractor program evaluations. You outsource items when they can be made cheaper than what you can do yourself or for some other strategic reason. For Escape, I assume that they could either not hire enough people to continue making it in-house or more likely they need the floor space taken up by the bath/storage box production for additional trailer production that cannot be outsourced.

While outsourcing often helps with schedule, there can be quality control issues especially early on, which is where I think they are now. I can't say for sure that is the case here, but again you don't see anyone with an Escape older that 12 months old complaining about this issue.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
My personal opinion is that it looks butt ugly the way it is. If Escape does not remedy it, I would fix it myself. I would remove the upper and left hand side plastic mouldings and trim the top of the opening above the door to be parallel with the top of the door. I would then reinstall the mouldings if they will still fit. If they do not fit (because the door opening is slightly larger), I would install new mouldings.

In my case in order to minimize the upper opening I had to shim the lower and central hinge..of course this caused this left door edge to be out of line with the wall. It is less noticeable with the wall as it’s all oak colored, and the bed cover spill over.
The upper header gap is still out 1/4” in 22”. As I am a retired building contractor I notice this.
Unless I add a oak trim member to the shower header it will always be noticeable. I can do this easily enough, but have decided that it’s a travel trailer, not a yacht. Besides very few RV visitors have nary a clue so I am not going to worry about it.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Doesn’t make it right, they charge enough for someone to expect better than that.
While the camper is under warranty now is the time to address issues.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I think it is rediculous for anyone on this forum to dismiss this individuals concern and path to a solution. it is not that there is a gap (that everyone has and is supposed to be there) but rather that it is askew. I bet most of you would have an exception if something purely cosmetic like a decal on the body was crooked.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
I think it is rediculous for anyone on this forum to dismiss this individuals concern and path to a solution. it is not that there is a gap (that everyone has and is supposed to be there) but rather that it is askew. I bet most of you would have an exception if something purely cosmetic like a decal on the body was crooked.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #36

Your opinion has been published, I am speaking from 9 plus years owner experience, which is I have yet to refill my propane tanks on any of my prior 4 Escapes, before selling the unit, normally within 24 hours...regardless of any cosmetic issues. If you feel this is dismissive, I apologize in advance. Basic economics of supply and demand is the explanation involved.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
Thank you all for your input so far and I did a double-check on possible adjustments. The measurements on the right and left side of the door are even so it was installed vertically to the trim boards on either side of the door. So it appears any shimming attempt to hide one issue, would just make the door look crooked vertically.

What also makes this issue jump out even more visually, is the cut located directly above the door : (

Appreciate any additional pictures that others can be shared of a cutout and installation that should be as expected.

Above the door looks like a slip of a razor knife . Did you check to see if the door it self is square . personal I would rehang that door so it was even on top and off on bottom. Or rebuild the door out of square as the opening is. This is the problem with paying for a product you haven't seen. IMO these trailers are starting to look like there built in Elkhart In.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #38

Trailer: 2022 E19
This doesn't help ease the frustration of the OP however it may give a bit of comfort to those that are waiting in line.
One of our final photos just received today. A picture doesn't always tell the whole story but the required gap at the top of our bathroom door looks minimal, and straight across.
Attached Thumbnails
June 22-6a.jpg  
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

. personal I would rehang that door so it was even on top and off on bottom. Or rebuild the door out of square as the opening is.
Absolutely not. The OP could confirm but the door actually looks fine and the corners are probably square. It looks like the opening is not square at the top.

A proper repair doesn't involve making something else non-square. To most eyes that would be just as jarring as the present situation.

As Dave Walter posted, the proper fix is to make the top of the opening square.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:18 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The OP has a 21. Comparisons with a 19 or 17 aren't relevant.