Bathroom Door Gap - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The OP has a 21. Comparisons with a 19 or 17 aren't relevant.
Could you explain?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Could you explain? A 19 or 17 can't have an out of square door?
In the 21, the bath is located at the front and the door is 90 degrees to the side wall of the trailer. The excuse given by ETI was that that had something to do with the door appearing to be off-square.
In the 19 and 17, the bath is on the side of the trailer, pretty much amidships. So, yes, the 19 and 17 could have an out of square door, but I've never heard of that as an issue.
Also, the picture has to be shot straight on, not from the aisle, to determine if it is really off square or not.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Based on this Forum I have taken a few additional measurements and it appears that the door is square and it is just the opening that is not straight. That gap is just part of the issue, because there is also a 5" long horizontal cut in the wall directly above the door.

Thank you all for the dialog, input, pictures and ideas to resolve. I am in contact with Escape and I will let you know the resolution path and share an update in the future.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
Based on this Forum I have taken a few additional measurements and it appears that the door is square and it is just the opening that is not straight. That gap is just part of the issue, because there is also a 5" long horizontal cut in the wall directly above the door.

Thank you all for the dialog, input, pictures and ideas to resolve. I am in contact with Escape and I will let you know the resolution path and share an update in the future.
I'm hoping all ends well for you. I'm on my second Escape this one a 21C and so far have positive results on small issues dealing with escapes service department.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
This thread reminds me of one years ago. Not because the door or opening was crooked but because a number of folks didn't like the gaps top and bottom.

Different solutions were kicked around. I was tempted to make a new raised panel door fully fitting the opening with a conventional vent in it. Never did and now I don't even "see" the gaps anymore. If they were uneven I would.

One person actually did have a solution. It was something like a piece of oak 1" x 2" across the top and bottom of the door with slots to maintain ventilation. It looked good and covered the gap.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Thank you all for your input so far and I did a double-check on possible adjustments. The measurements on the right and left side of the door are even so it was installed vertically to the trim boards on either side of the door. So it appears any shimming attempt to hide one issue, would just make the door look crooked vertically.

What also makes this issue jump out even more visually, is the cut located directly above the door : (

Appreciate any additional pictures that others can be shared of a cutout and installation that should be as expected.
Doesn't look like a problem with the door to me, looks like a mistake was made when cutting the opening and it is uneven. Looks like the trim was pushed up to cover the problem and the door hung higher to minimize the aesthetics. The gap at the bottom of the door looks larger than normal.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This thread reminds me of one years ago. Not because the door or opening was crooked but because a number of folks didn't like the gaps top and bottom.

Different solutions were kicked around. I was tempted to make a new raised panel door fully fitting the opening with a conventional vent in it. Never did and now I don't even "see" the gaps anymore. If they were uneven I would.

One person actually did have a solution. It was something like a piece of oak 1" x 2" across the top and bottom of the door with slots to maintain ventilation. It looked good and covered the gap.

Ron
I had Escape mount the door higher soas to put all of the gap on the bottom, where it is not obvious. They did it for free!
Not a great picture, but it shows no top gap.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040235.jpg  
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
My personal opinion is that it looks butt ugly the way it is. If Escape does not remedy it, I would fix it myself. I would remove the upper and left hand side plastic mouldings and trim the top of the opening above the door to be parallel with the top of the door. I would then reinstall the mouldings if they will still fit. If they do not fit (because the door opening is slightly larger), I would install new mouldings.
Much easier to pop the top trim on the door and cut it so the reveal is straight and visually the problem will go away.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Much easier to pop the top trim on the door and cut it so the reveal is straight and visually the problem will go away.
Exactly what I said.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #50

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Yes, a door modification would make 1/2 of the issue go away. However the other challenge is the 5" long cut in the wallboard above the door : (
Attached Thumbnails
Door Top Detail1.jpg  
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In the 21, the bath is located at the front and the door is 90 degrees to the side wall of the trailer. The excuse given by ETI was that that had something to do with the door appearing to be off-square.
In the 19 and 17, the bath is on the side of the trailer, pretty much amidships. So, yes, the 19 and 17 could have an out of square door, but I've never heard of that as an issue.
Also, the picture has to be shot straight on, not from the aisle, to determine if it is really off square or not.
Hi: gbaglo... This whole issue seems like a "Stop gap" measure to me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17A 2020
Me too

We’ll, we don’t have a bathroom in our 17A but there are at least 2 cupboard doors that are a bit crooked and one window. Not horribly so but enough to bug me. I happen to be one of those people who cannot “ unsee” crooked hanging pictures, etc. Doesn’t bother husband one bit! I have managed to mostly ignore it… But , how hard can it be to “ get it straight!”
annieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #53

Trailer: 2020 21c
Quote:
Last week we received our new 21C and noticed the gap at the top of the bathroom door is not even and there is a little damage to wallboard above the plastic trim. I do not recall seeing an uneven gap in pictures of other trailers or the one we toured?

I sent a note and pictures to Escape and the reply was "due to the shape of the trailer, 2/3rds of the trailer is built square with a few exceptions and this door is one of them, due to the shape of the shower opening the door does not line up square either on the top or bottom"

Appreciate pictures of your bathroom doors and/or feedback on this type of uneven gap.
I agree, even though the ceiling is curved the door opening and door should be square. We asked that our ventilation gap be at the bottom instead of at the top. It seems it would allow for better exhaust.
busterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
My 21 C, I received in January of last year was the same way. I shimmed the hinges to even up the gap. It’s fair but not great. At that time there were many manufacturing problems being brought up, and the new owner posters were receiving flack from many on the forum that either had older better built trailers, or not technically inclined to differentiate otherwise. I just remained silent. Glad it is now being brought up so the factory may or may not address the situation. It appears they are not interested.
If one is not handy with carpentry, plumbing, or electrical, it may be best to avoid all travel trailers.
Agree. Our bathroom door alignment is spot on, but we had some other quality issues on our Feb 2022 5.0 that got mixed reactions when posted on this forum. One was an Escape quality issue and the second a Lippert quality issue. We did have a "do better" conversation with Samuel. We handled the Escape problem resolution totally ourselves through local repair shops and set the problem back to what one would expect for a brand new almost $50k trailer. The Lippert issue was handled through the Lippert warrentee, which wasn't an easy process but was finally resolved in back to new condition.

The "do better" conversations are important.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post

The "do better" conversations are important.
They are but it's always better when they remain factual and solution oriented rather than an excuse to slag ETI.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Door gap

Definitely looks like an uneven cut in the frame opening. Could probably hide it by attaching a piece of “crown” moulding on level at the top of the door - would still allow ventilation. And then it would really be a “throne room”.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I agree with you Jim.
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
My last was meant for cpaharley
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This thread has been cleaned up. Please be civil.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2022, 01:17 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Our 2013 15B had no gap, in fact the door was bigger than the opening over lapping both the bottom and the top. So when we ordered our 17B I noticed that they were now making the door shorter to create the gap under discussion here. I disliked the look of that so I requested a taller door to eliminate the gaps. They honoured my request but charged me $75 dollars extra. I still think that gap looks odd and appreciate having paid those extra dollars. And as a side point, the door does not sit tight against the opening and so ventilation has never been a problem.