Bathroom Door Gap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Bathroom Door Gap

Last week we received our new 21C and noticed the gap at the top of the bathroom door is not even and there is a little damage to wallboard above the plastic trim. I do not recall seeing an uneven gap in pictures of other trailers or the one we toured?

I sent a note and pictures to Escape and the reply was "due to the shape of the trailer, 2/3rds of the trailer is built square with a few exceptions and this door is one of them, due to the shape of the shower opening the door does not line up square either on the top or bottom"

Appreciate pictures of your bathroom doors and/or feedback on this type of uneven gap.
Attached Thumbnails
21C Top of Door.jpg   21C Bottom of Door.jpg  
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
All I can say is that a squarely built rectangular opening and door in a curved/un-square wall can still be built squarely.

Professionals use very basic tools of the trade called a "Squares" and "Levels" to accomplish this simple task.

If these basic tools are not available then a piece of sting, a few sticks and a tape measure will do.https://westerninterlock.com/how-to-...-3-4-5-method/
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The space at the top and bottom of the bath door is normal and will allow moisture to dry out inside the bath, particularly if you open the bath window.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
Last week we received our new 21C and noticed the gap at the top of the bathroom door is not even and there is a little damage to wallboard above the plastic trim. I do not recall seeing an uneven gap in pictures of other trailers or the one we toured?

I sent a note and pictures to Escape and the reply was "due to the shape of the trailer, 2/3rds of the trailer is built square with a few exceptions and this door is one of them, due to the shape of the shower opening the door does not line up square either on the top or bottom"

Appreciate pictures of your bathroom doors and/or feedback on this type of uneven gap.
I picked my 21C up last Dec and never noticed the uneven gap on the top of the door until I just looked now. Mine is just slightly out of square unlike yours. I'm sorry but looking at that would really distract me every time I saw it.
Can't get the picture right side up but you get a better view of the gap
Attached Thumbnails
8BDA0149-0936-4F32-B95D-E61293DDB36Ea.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I can accept that mistakes get made and I've made my share of them but if I received a crap explanation like that I'd go ballistic.

How a sloppy installation like yours could happen leaves me dumbfounded. Such a simple thing to do. Put a 7 1/4" spacer block on the floor, sit the door on it and put the screws in.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I assumed that it was intentional for ventilation or something. I hang a towel from it. I had similar feelings when I first saw the gap though

Edit: mine is not uneven like OP, just saw that
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
The door is a jar!!!

Hi: Reinhold... Looks like the top door hinge needs to move towards the door opening 1/4". The bottom hinge 1/4" the other direction. May require 2 larger hinges to cover the holes. Then the door may swing open more than closed.
Can't see much of our gap but we do have a custom fit hand wrought hook set on it. Tks. Ian!!! If the door stays open without swinging the trailer's level. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030809.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
.... Put a 7 1/4" spacer block on the floor, sit the door on it and put the screws in.
That works IF
  • the door sill is parallel to the floor
  • the door is 'square'
  • the door opening is 'square'
Any or all perhaps radical assumptions in this case methinks

But yeah, to your point, the explanation offered is "crap"; with a bit of time, skill, and pride of product it's quite possible to avoid visually disturbing situations like that pictured (though they may not be 'square'; adjacent straight lines should be parallel, that's what the eye / brain perceives immediately).

.... "time, skill, and pride of product" .... what's missing here?

As pictured that'd drive me nuts, no OCD required.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 21NE
Although I do not yet on an escape I have been following this forum for several years. I am still enjoying my Casita and casually looking for a 19 escape. Perhaps after the current frenzy dies down. But I do wonder if Tammy and Reese follow this forum and what their reaction is when they see stuff like this. I understand fiberglass trailers are for the most part handmade and will not be perfect. But poor workmanship like this is inexcusable.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
May just require repositioning or adding shim to a hinge. I dont recall what the hinges look though
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
Although I do not yet on an escape I have been following this forum for several years. I am still enjoying my Casita and casually looking for a 19 escape. Perhaps after the current frenzy dies down. But I do wonder if Tammy and Reese follow this forum and what their reaction is when they see stuff like this. I understand fiberglass trailers are for the most part handmade and will not be perfect. But poor workmanship like this is inexcusable.
I'm sure they are busy enjoying the fruits of their labor...Horses and helicopters.... They probably check in from time to time and probably have many friends here... But what does it matter? They sold out to an investment group who needs a return on investment for their investors...Its no longer a mom and pop operation...for better or worse..
Old 06-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I'm sure they are busy enjoying the fruits of their labor...Horses and helicopters.... They probably check in from time to time and probably have many friends here... But what does it matter? They sold out to an investment group who needs a return on investment for their investors...Its no longer a mom and pop operation...for better or worse..
Yes I’m sure you’re right about that. I do know they were proud of their business. And probably much like me when I sell a car that I have meticulously maintained and it looks like new from the day I bought it and then I see it around town getting beat up it does break my heart.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 21
This is a result of poor workmanship and not caring about doing the job correctly. Their explanation is just making a excuse for lack of quality checking. Excuses only satisfy the ones giving them
Old 06-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
Yes I’m sure you’re right about that. I do know they were proud of their business. And probably much like me when I sell a car that I have meticulously maintained and it looks like new from the day I bought it and then I see it around town getting beat up it does break my heart.
I agree with you... but lets face it, its not the same biz...

Another mom and pop operator wouldn't have been able to pay the price to buy them out....So pick your poison.... take the money and run or stay with it
Old 06-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
My 21 C, I received in January of last year was the same way. I shimmed the hinges to even up the gap. It’s fair but not great. At that time there were many manufacturing problems being brought up, and the new owner posters were receiving flack from many on the forum that either had older better built trailers, or not technically inclined to differentiate otherwise. I just remained silent. Glad it is now being brought up so the factory may or may not address the situation. It appears they are not interested.
If one is not handy with carpentry, plumbing, or electrical, it may be best to avoid all travel trailers.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:47 PM   #16
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
If it were me, I would take it back and make them fix it. As compared to the pictures from others, your door looks much worse. If you are now too far away to have them fix it, I would force them to pay to have it straightened at another location. It will likely involve having to move one or both hinges a bit, but someone with experence should be able to do that without leaving scarring from extra drilling holes.

We currently have a 19 and are picking up a 21C in December, so I also appreciate your post as this will be something we look for when taking delivery. Again, I'd make them fix it.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 21C "Mabel" (on order) / 2019 F150 3.5 EcoBoost
Thank you all for your input so far and I did a double-check on possible adjustments. The measurements on the right and left side of the door are even so it was installed vertically to the trim boards on either side of the door. So it appears any shimming attempt to hide one issue, would just make the door look crooked vertically.

What also makes this issue jump out even more visually, is the cut located directly above the door : (

Appreciate any additional pictures that others can be shared of a cutout and installation that should be as expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom door detail.jpg  
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #18

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our 21C is due to be completed in October.

Maybe the cool Fall air on the production line will get everyone feeling a deep sense of quality in their workmanship?

We're crossing our fingers!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
That works IF
  • the door opening is 'square'

Any or all perhaps radical assumptions in this case methinks

Given the info below it looks like you nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
Thank you all for your input so far and I did a double-check on possible adjustments. The measurements on the right and left side of the door are even so it was installed vertically to the trim boards on either side of the door.
What also makes this issue jump out even more visually, is the cut located directly above the door : (

Appreciate any additional pictures that others can be shared of a cutout and installation that should be as expected.
If the sides of the door are vertical and parallel to the sides of the opening then it's the top of the opening that's the culprit. To my eye the top corners of the door look square but the door opening doesn't.

The greater issue is how this eyesore, including the cut vinyl, got past quality control and secondly offering such a lame excuse for it.

I think the photo of mine is about as good as it gets. I did have one cupboard door that was crooked but I did manage to straighten it up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the inside of the bathroom is a separate complex fiberglass molding thats then installed inside the shell of the camper, then the interior paneling is installed, then the door hinges have to be mounted so the door is level so it doesn't swing open OR closed on its own. good luck getting that all perfectly square.

here's my E21 after 10s of 1000s of miles of bad roads etc.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote