Bathroom storage in the 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Bathroom storage in the 19'

We have a new Escape 19' and just returned from our first trip of 5,550 miles. My biggest challenge is bathroom storage...lack of. Has anyone out there come up with ideas for storage of typically used toiletries other than using the sink?
Thanks for sharing any creative ideas:-)
ROWDY II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We use a suction cup mounted basket. Works ok, but you are right that there is not a lot of storage optjions in the bathroom.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'd originally thought that I'd cut into the rear wall low down and put a medicine type cabinet there. But then I added another door under the furnace and opened up that area so that option ended. So, yes, suction cup baskets seem to be the answer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have a good-sized but narrow bin with top that holds bath items, which we usually set just outside the door. Narrow enough that it was not really in our way.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Here's a link to a thread on a few bathroom storage ideas:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post47836
We have also found the Lee Valley suction hooks really useful in the bathroom, and they are easy to move around:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post47828
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a wire type basket mounted beside the kitchen sink to hold our teeth stuff. Other than that, we just keep the little bit of personal stuff (for me, just a razor and deodorant), in our clothes cabinet. I think our bathroom sink has been used twice in 6 years, just too tiny for our liking.

We really keep nothing in our bathroom, though for years I have though of putting a plastic bodied medicine cabinet in there, and who knows, may just do that some day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I had Charlie (tractors1) make a couple custom holders (he can make any size you want or almost any design you can think of) that we put in the bathroom. We went through the suction cups and Command products and found they just did not meet ours needs. I mounted the small one to the right of the sink and the larger one to the right of the door next to the toilet. They mount with VHB tape and match the bathroom walls great.

I am not affiliated with his business but just think he does great work. He has made several things for me.
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0262.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I had Charlie (tractors1) make a couple custom holders (he can make any size you want or almost any design you can think of) that we put in the bathroom. We went through the suction cups and Command products and found they just did not meet ours needs. I mounted the small one to the right of the sink and the larger one to the right of the door next to the toilet. They mount with VHB tape and match the bathroom walls great.
Great, thanks for this info.

Are your holders strong enough to hold (small) bottles of shampoo, conditioner and such? I could see using stuff like this instead of the sink. And something for soap with holes in the bottom for drainage. I do plan to take showers in mine, so need to figure out holders for things.

And it looks like they're deep enough stuff would stay in there while driving down the road.

Got the site bookmarked!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: none
I used a small shower caddy.

Amazon.com - Homebasix SS-SC-25-PE-3L Small Shower Caddy, White -
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I had a friend build a wall rack. It's attached with strong 3M tape. Sorry about the orientation, it's OK on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
bath rack.JPG  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Great, thanks for this info.

Are your holders strong enough to hold (small) bottles of shampoo, conditioner and such? I could see using stuff like this instead of the sink. And something for soap with holes in the bottom for drainage. I do plan to take showers in mine, so need to figure out holders for things.

And it looks like they're deep enough stuff would stay in there while driving down the road.

Got the site bookmarked!
Yes they are very strong and the VHB tape will hold almost anything. I designed the shape and size of each to be able to hold the size stuff I would put in them like shampoo and bath stuff. I also told him where to put dividers and angle between front and back. Both of these have holes in the bottom. Very cheap for custom work and he can customize them to whatever size you want.

I also had him make a shoe drawer for under our front bench, a tray for our fridge and have some cabinet dividers on order.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0271.jpg   IMG_0272.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Wow! Thank you all for your creative ideas. We will be looking into these possibilities for our trailer.
One note...what is VHB tape? We have never heard of it before, and if this works with the travel movement of the trailer...we want some:-)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY II View Post
One note...what is VHB tape?
Very High Bond. Google is your friend.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #14

Thanks...Google was my "later in the day" plan:-) Now, I will just search for Very High Bond tape locations when my chores for the day are completed (sunshine is out and the weeds are wanting to claim our turf).
Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY II View Post
Thanks...Google was my "later in the day" plan:-) Now, I will just search for Very High Bond tape locations when my chores for the day are completed (sunshine is out and the weeds are wanting to claim our turf).
If you look at the backs of some items you'll see what looks like a strip of paper with red markings/lettering on it. I believe that's the VHB tape. Hey, I didn't know what it was at first either. Every business/industry/hobby/whatever has their own acronyms that take a while to figure out.

When I first read a thread using that term, my brain first thought "VHS tape" and couldn't figure out why someone was using a player for those in their trailer.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #16

We have "like minds" !!!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #17

VHB is used in many applications like body side moldings on cars or any other place a high strength bond is needed. It works great to hold things to fiberglass trailers where you need a strong bond. It can be removed but is better used where you don't plan on trying to remove whatever you are attaching. Best tip is to follow the instructions and have a clean surface and have the tape above 70 degrees when applying. There are several types of VHB for different applications.

I will try to remember to take some pictures of the bathroom pieces so you can get a better idea of how they look installed.

Read more here.

3M™ VHB™ Tape
Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #18

Thanks Tom and Cheryl.

I'm thinking I could buy a roll of that stuff anywhere (Lowe's, Home Depot, Amazon) and then just use it to stick stuff to the walls.

I've got so many things bookmarked that I've read about in this forum that I'm going to have to break it down into different folders (RV accessories, RV - interior, RV - general, or whatever) as the generic RVs folder is getting pretty darn big! No worries - it's great to get all these links.

And yeah, photos! One can never get enough photos when you're trying to figure stuff out. Supply more images that my brain can remember at night and implant into my dreams.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Thanks Tom and Cheryl.

I'm thinking I could buy a roll of that stuff anywhere (Lowe's, Home Depot, Amazon) and then just use it to stick stuff to the walls.
It's not all the same and if you use VHB tape on the walls, don't expect to ever remove it. Go to the 3M site and read instuctions.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks Tom and Cheryl.

I've got so many things bookmarked that I've read about in this forum that I'm going to have to break it down into different folders (RV accessories, RV - interior, RV - general, or whatever) as the generic RVs folder is getting pretty darn big! No worries - it's great to get all these links.

And yeah, photos! One can never get enough photos when you're trying to figure stuff out. Supply more images that my brain can remember at night and implant into my dreams.
And if you install anything on your paneling if you remove object you will pull the exterior off with it . So if you use best to leave and not remove . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote