Bathroom vent coming open while traveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Bathroom vent coming open while traveling

Last week I drove through some heavy rains - wipers on full speed and going 30 mph with flashers on so an idiot doesn't run up your back end (big rigs were using their flashers as well). The truck and trailer handled it just fine - yay!

However, a bit of a problem with the vent in the bathroom. I have a check list I thoroughly follow before I leave, so I know I pulled it shut (or rather double checked it was closed). However, at a rest stop I noticed the vent was part way open and some water had come inside.

I thought I hadn't pulled it all the way and pulled it down and gave it a good yank to make sure. I figured all was fine and dandy.

Nope. Next rest stop it was open even farther and there was quite a bit of dirty water on top of the toilet. Now I know I closed it tightly, so I figured it got loose both times.

I'm thinking it opened due to the rain and/or wind as it didn't do it on the rest of my trip. I didn't drive through quite as much heavy rain on the rest of my trip (thank goodness).

Any hints on why it did this and what I can do to make sure it doesn't do it again?

I have mentioned this to ETI and maybe there's something they can do to it when I'm there on Thursday for some other stuff.

Thanks folks! Always appreciate (most of) the feedback/comments I get from here.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
you have those fancy new Gen 2 windows right?
look forward if possible your info update after thursday ETI visit...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have to pull ours down on both sides but it seems to be in there pretty tightly. Could be that yours is not so tight. I don't think wind could pull ours out but not sure. They should know on trying it whether it is the normal tightness.

You can go into another trailer and try that one and see if it seems the same as yours.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

Trailer: None now
We traveled over 4000 miles to bring ours back and went through periods of heavy rain and at least one time high winds and the vent stayed in place. Could the busted window in yours allow air inside that's pressurizing the trailer?
FYI, using flashers in the rain can get you a ticket in some states. Using hazard lights in rain is illegal in some states; use could cost you | Boston 25 News
Even though it is illegal here lots of people do it. Because of that if I ever was broke down in fog or heavy rain on the side of the road I'd be hesitant to use the flashers for fear someone is going to see them and follow me.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
If you mean the vent for the bath exhaust, the one on our 21' 2016 "classic" also comes open on the highway...... I think its the Bernoulli effect which causes it to pop open.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle).

We just roll up an unused washcloth and wedge between the handle and the bug screen.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
FYI, using flashers in the rain can get you a ticket in some states. Using hazard lights in rain is illegal in some states; use could cost you | Boston 25 News
Even though it is illegal here lots of people do it. Because of that if I ever was broke down in fog or heavy rain on the side of the road I'd be hesitant to use the flashers for fear someone is going to see them and follow me.
Well, dang, the things you learn! And it's illegal in WA State. Never knew that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
If you mean the vent for the bath exhaust, the one on our 21' 2016 "classic" also comes open on the highway..
We just roll up an unused washcloth and wedge between the handle and the bug screen.
Now that's a fix I can do! I'll try that next time, thanks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
If you mean the vent for the bath exhaust, the one on our 21' 2016 "classic" also comes open on the highway...... I think its the Bernoulli effect which causes it to pop open.

I've enclosed 2 pictures showing what is holding ours down. On each side there is a piece that presses against it that has a small tab that fits above a ridge ( not depression) . Picture one shows it latched. Picture 2 shows it opened just past the latch.
Attached Thumbnails
vent1.jpg   vent2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

I could see Bernoulli effect causing that. There are lots of objects on the roof that given wind direction could cause uplift and low pressure at the vent. I might stick something there too just in case.

My Tacoma at times will do a high pitch Kazoo noise from various windows. If anyone has a Gen 2 and some Gen 3's I''m sure they have heard it. It's cause by the same thing and the noise originates between the rubber and door glass. I thought I had solved it but it happened going through Oklahoma several times. Lowering the window and pushing against the glass and raising the window can solve it temporarily
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My main ceiling vent will also open when I'm traveling, even though I lock it down, or at least think I do.

As for the "Tacoma whistle", mine does it from around 50-55 mph and has done so from when it was new. I discovered that this is very common in Tacomas. It doesn't bother me enough to have it fixed, if a fix is possible.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I think you are on to something. The bath exhaust fan is mounted pretty close to the front of the trailer on a 21 and there would be a low pressure zone created as the air rushes up and over the trailer front at high speeds. I'd be very surprised if we heard of this problem on other models based on the location of the fans more rearward.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote