Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
does anyone use an auto battery filler ? if so which one?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I use a 50 cc syringe with a short piece of tubing. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Syringes

We also use a mastitis syringe that you can get at most farm stores. Works well as long as you can see down into the batteries where the plates are. We also used them to fill the routed grooves on park signs with enamel sign paint. Much faster than a brush. It let us get back to the canasta game more quickly. And there’s you answer to “ What do park guys do all winter”?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 1994 Casita Freedom
looked under cushion once

Moved batteries for easy access. Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1459612558000 - Copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	33618
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Creekside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I believe you are correct.
I supplied them when I picked up the trailer.
Jim,
Did you order a solar connector or inverter, which require the battery upgrade?
Thanks
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Jim,
Did you order a solar connector or inverter, which require the battery upgrade?
Thanks
I installed both myself, though if I was to do it again I would have Escape install the inverter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Took delivery this week of two Lifeline AGM's to go into our fifth wheel to be picked up Nov. 2.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my step father removed the screws and cut the section of wood above the end of the second battery past the area that already opens up he put a grip hole in it so now i can open it see all the battery filling holes and easily fill them!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Bolers commonly had the battery mounted inside with access from the inside, often (but not always) with external venting... the only really consistent thing about Bolers is that they were not consistent. Parkliner (another moulded fiberglass travel trailer) puts the battery inside this way too, but to be fair, nothing about a Parkliner should be used as an example of good practice.

Batteries which don't require maintenance (such as the AGM batteries used by some owners) would work well in this situation, as mentioned earlier. Of course the stock batteries are not AGM.

My motorhome has the batteries (two Interstate 6V GC2) mounted on a bracket under the floor, accessible by lifting a hinged step of the entrance stairs... inside the RV. The seal on the step is mediocre but the location works okay, and is very well vented to the outside (there's no box, just a frame, so it is open to the world below). There's no equivalent location in an Escape, but the point is that the battery is accessed from inside and it works.

I agree that it would be preferable to have a battery compartment which is sealed from the interior and accessed via an exterior door. I have had this (as stock factory equipment, with a vented metal door) in one trailer, and it worked well... but with the batteries on a slide, effectively necessary because it would not be possible to reach the second battery past the first one. Casita has this type of compartment but it is awkward without a slide (even for a single battery) so some owners add the slide. Flexible cabling and careful cable placement are required with or without the slide.
A discussion from FiberglassRV to illustrate this situation:
Slideout Tray for Casita Battery Compartment

I would guess that Reace has seen (or at least heard of) the Casita setup. Anyone seriously interested in this arrangement could ask Reace about it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #30

🤔 Looking at this thread is interesting. The original post raised a maintenance question. Some people responded with their solution to a perceived problem and others immediately criticized with what they believed to be a poor design. There’s more than 1 approach to a problem, weather it’s where to put a battery or how to fill it. Most problems don’t have perfect solutions at least in my experience. In this particular case the OP found a practical and simple solution to her problem close to home. 😁 My point here is that it’s really easy to be critical, takes a bit more effort to to find a solution.✌️
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
My point here is that it’s really easy to be critical, takes a bit more effort to to find a solution.[emoji111]️
Good observation of a common occurrence. Sometimes it is just offering a different perspective, but often it is a criticism of their approach. I may have been guilty of this. [emoji53]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
🤔 Looking at this thread is interesting. The original post raised a maintenance question. Some people responded with their solution to a perceived problem and others immediately criticized with what they believed to be a poor design. There’s more than 1 approach to a problem, weather it’s where to put a battery or how to fill it. Most problems don’t have perfect solutions at least in my experience. In this particular case the OP found a practical and simple solution to her problem close to home. 😁 My point here is that it’s really easy to be critical, takes a bit more effort to to find a solution.✌️

I actually like the location of the batteries, especially for solar, but for us, all else being equal, one solution would be ETI should offer AGM batteries to eliminate the constant monitoring, and off-gassing that comes with flooded batteries. I believe many new owers would purchase AGM's as an option. We will be bringing Crown AGM batteries nearly 1,900 miles when we pickup our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good observation of a common occurrence. Sometimes it is just offering a different perspective, but often it is a criticism of their approach. I may have been guilty of this. [emoji53]
Seems to me you’ve put more than a little effort into problem solving and with impressive results😎
Old 08-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

I actually like the location of the batteries, especially for solar, but for us, all else being equal, one solution would be ETI should offer AGM batteries to eliminate the constant monitoring, and off-gassing that comes with flooded batteries. I believe many new owers would purchase AGM's as an option. We will be bringing Crown AGM batteries nearly 1,900 miles when we pickup our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
I’m wondering why the AGM batteries wouldn’t be an OEM part ? Maybe in the future as it seems more and more people are opting for them. Where I buying my trailer now that’s absolutely what I would want. Didn’t know enough about them , should have done my homework .
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I’m wondering why the AGM batteries wouldn’t be an OEM part ? Maybe in the future as it seems more and more people are opting for them. Where I buying my trailer now that’s absolutely what I would want. Didn’t know enough about them , should have done my homework .
Wet cell deep cycle batteries work well, are less expensive, and give you alot of bang for the buck. I suppose Escape could offer AGMs as well, but it's easy enough to provide them at pickup. That way you get your choice of AGM, not someone else's.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #36

In addition to all of the good reasons listed by Robert, there is a lot to be said for keeping supply arrangements simple. Escape certainly could offer an AGM option, but they would need to choose a brand and model (which some people would dislike), keep some inventory, and handle any warranty issues (which would presumably be rare). Escape's current battery supplier doens't even sell a suitable 6-volt AGM, so they would probably need to add a supplier.

With other components of the trailer (such as sinks and stoves) Escape is remarkably accommodating of requests to install owner-supplied non-standard components, and taking that approach with batteries seems to be a suitable compromise.

It would be interesting if Escape published a standard list of components for which substitution is allowed, which would presumably include the sink, stove, battery, and probably others. Unfortunately, that might encourage more substitution and make their production effort even more difficult.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Instead of offering AGMs I think ETI should duplicate the exterior access sliding battery tray of the Olivers that hold quad 6v.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Instead of offering AGMs I think ETI should duplicate the exterior access sliding battery tray of the Olivers that hold quad 6v.
Interesting...

Even on the very expensive Oliver this is optional equipment. The slide/drawer looks like a commonly available RV component (like the propane and battery slides I have had). The access panel is a mystery: it appears to be a fully removable panel rather than a hinged door. The nicely fitted hatch behind it looks more desirable. The wiring won't win any awards...

It is also insanely high - right over the tops of the wheel wells - but Oliver design doesn't even try to be low. I doubt Escape would use that placement, but the construction would work.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Another hole in the trailer.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Another hole in the trailer.
but what happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote