Batteries - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Another hole in the trailer.
This brings up a good point. As AGMs gain in popularity outside access becomes less important. I just really like the idea of two pair of 6v batteries though.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Interesting...

Even on the very expensive Oliver this is optional equipment. The slide/drawer looks like a commonly available RV component (like the propane and battery slides I have had). The access panel is a mystery: it appears to be a fully removable panel rather than a hinged door. The nicely fitted hatch behind it looks more desirable. The wiring won't win any awards...

It is also insanely high - right over the tops of the wheel wells - but Oliver design doesn't even try to be low. I doubt Escape would use that placement, but the construction would work.
Wow, how old is that picture? Hardly anything in it is current. And hardly anything you stated is accurate (except the ubiquitously obligatory fact that they are expensive - you apparently forgot they are also heavy.) The battery tray (that any manufacturer could use if they so chose) is standard, not optional (always has been.) The battery door is hinged just like the “nicely fitted hatch” behind it. The wiring is now all done with 4-0 welding cable. You are correct that they are located high and over the dual axles. This is to accommodate the nearly 300 pounds of battery/tray weight (remember these things are heavy!)

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 The slidding tray is a nice way to do it. Obviously weight is a negative. Another problem I encountered in my B class PleasureWay which used a very similar set up was corrosion. I bought camper used and when I went to check batteries it was an ordeal. Slides where severely corroded and it took a good deal of work to get everything working properly again. I personally think the set up I have in my 5.0 works fine ( I did add the hole for easy check and fill) . When I eventually go to the AGM type it may almost be perfect.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
Wow, how old is that picture? Hardly anything in it is current. And hardly anything you stated is accurate (except the ubiquitously obligatory fact that they are expensive - you apparently forgot they are also heavy.) The battery tray (that any manufacturer could use if they so chose) is standard, not optional (always has been.) The battery door is hinged just like the “nicely fitted hatch” behind it. The wiring is now all done with 4-0 welding cable.
Since this is not an Oliver forum, and there aren't many Oliver owners who frequent it, we can usually only go on what we have seen personally, or what is published on Oliver's website. The photo Brian posted is the current one from the Oliver website. If you have issues with outdated Oliver photos, take it up with the Oliver webmaster. There is no need to do so here.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
but what happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The battery tray (that any manufacturer could use if they so chose) is standard, not optional (always has been.) The battery door is hinged just like the “nicely fitted hatch” behind it.
Could be wrong but I believe Brian’s comment about optional was regarding the tray holding quad 6V batteries, not the tray itself. As I understand it twin 12V are standard on the tray. We all know old information lingering on manufacturers websites is dangerous, but any misrepresentation wasn’t done intentionally. Here is an updated picture from the Oliver “Upgrades” Page which better depicts what you describe.
Attached Thumbnails
42EC8486-C7FB-4D9A-A64D-E0A1947E1B2B.jpeg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Another hole in the trailer.
More precisely, a bigger hole in the trailer, as the stock internal mounting requires a hole for a vent.

But seriously, if the interior of the battery compartment is sealed (and possibly epoxy-coated) as it should be, and the cables go though weather seals, even if water gets into the compartment it doesn't go anywhere in the trailer. The door of an externally (only) accessible compartment isn't really a hole in the shell as much as it is a niche.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Could be wrong but I believe Brian’s comment about optional was regarding the tray holding quad 6V batteries, not the tray itself. As I understand it twin 12V are standard on the tray.
I couldn't find a clear textual listing on the site, but I found that image (with "only" two batteries), and thought it was labelled as an option. I see that Dave's right (as usual ), and this is the stock equipment for the Legacy Elite II, while the quad battery setup is an optional upgrade... an external compartment with a slide either way.

In the upgrade photo the door is clearly visible - it is hinged at the bottom and opens 90 degrees. I don't know where the door has gone in the stock setup photo (which is apparently outdated).
Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, in Vancouver, not just a compartment, but an apartment that you could rent out.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Wow, how old is that picture? Hardly anything in it is current. And hardly anything you stated is accurate...
Other than being standard (I thought it was optional) my comments accurately describe the image, which is posted by Oliver Travel Trailers. You might want to direct your comments to them...

It is good to hear that Oliver has improved their wiring and access door.

The point was to discuss a possible battery installation with external access, using another brand of production trailer as an example. It's not a brand comparison. Whether the installation flaws in the photo are on current trailers from that other company or not, they are features to watch out for in such a design.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #51

Quote:
You are correct that they are located high and over the dual axles. This is to accommodate the nearly 300 pounds of battery/tray weight (remember these things are heavy!)
Battery mass is significant to trailer dynamics, especially in very high-capacity setups like this, which is why they should be lower and - ideally - closer to the centre of mass (although right over the axle midpoint isn't bad). Immediately ahead of the wheel wells would be ideal, but it is rare that any component can be placed ideally without regard to floorplan.

I don't think anyone has been suggesting substantially moving batteries from the stock Escape location (except in combination with other substantial modifications), which is designed to work with the other components of the trailer. There has been at least one quad-battery Escape; that takes some serious thought about mass distribution.