Batteries Leaking - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
when changing from a single 12v battery system to twin 6v batteries should there be a change made to the controller, so the controller knows it's charging two 6v batteries instead of one 12v battery?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #22

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
when changing from a single 12v battery system to twin 6v batteries should there be a change made to the controller, so the controller knows it's charging two 6v batteries instead of one 12v battery?

I'll venture a guess here...

My answer would be no, unless the 6V batteries are of a different chemistry. Changed from 12V flooded to 2x6V flooded shouldn't require any change.

If you changed from a flooded 12V to two 6V AGMs, a setting change might be beneficial.

If you changed from a 12V lead acid to lithium (as I did) you definitely need a setting change. I selected a solar charge controller that can support lithium. I also bypassed the converter in the WFCO power center with one that supports lithium batteries.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
The ring connectors appear to be copper on our 2012 Escape - but I do like the idea of marine grade electrical hardware.

Is the trailer wire to the batteries 8 gauge?
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Luck of the son of a maintenance man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Of course?? The ones on our 6 year old 17 still looked like new when I sold it.
Hey Eric
I'm one of the lucky ones too. Dad showed me how to check, clean, tighten and seal battery cables over 50 years ago and I've never had one melt away in 50 years. Cars, trucks,tractors, boats, mowers, campers. Pay attention to that stuff boy or it will end up costing you money you could have spent on something you need. Thanks Dad
Iowa Dave.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
If there over filled , find a glass or plastic eye dropper form a medicine bottle and remove some ACID from each cell to the proper level . Use baking soda to dilute before disposal .
"Proper" level is mentioned, but what exactly is the proper level?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
"Proper" level is mentioned, but what exactly is the proper level?
Hi: Chapitre... I'd say "Proper" is making sure the plates are completely submerged. Others will have a different definition I'm sure. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Eric
I'm one of the lucky ones too. Dad showed me how to check, clean, tighten and seal battery cables over 50 years ago and I've never had one melt away in 50 years. Cars, trucks,tractors, boats, mowers, campers. Pay attention to that stuff boy or it will end up costing you money you could have spent on something you need. Thanks Dad
Iowa Dave.
Hi: Iowa Dave... BEER!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Chapitre... I'd say "Proper" is making sure the plates are completely submerged. Others will have a different definition I'm sure. Alf
Yep, anywhere between that and the bottom of the fill cup will do fine. Just be certain the plates do not get exposed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I was taught that "proper" full level is bottom of the fill cup, so that's what I do. That gives you reserve fluid above the plates to keep the plates covered over time (several months). If all you do is cover the plates, it won't be long before they are no longer covered.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've read something like 1/8" below the bottom of the fill cups, if that's what they are called. As I usually can't see down there that well I go for the bottoms same as War Eagle.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fifty five years ago I used one of these fillers working at the filling station. Back then we pumped your gas, washed your windows, checked your oil and battery all for $.25/gal. The filler would stop right before the top of the cell, maybe 1/4" to allow some bubbling when being charged. Some had 3 caps others were 6 caps, depending on the voltage. Back then the hard part was knowing where the gas cap was as some models hid them well.
Attached Thumbnails
ACC-121%282201%29-2__79816.1440613077.390.745.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #32

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Fifty five years ago I used one of these fillers working at the filling station. Back then we pumped your gas, washed your windows, checked your oil and battery all for $.25/gal. The filler would stop right before the top of the cell, maybe 1/4" to allow some bubbling when being charged. Some had 3 caps others were 6 caps, depending on the voltage. Back then the hard part was knowing where the gas cap was as some models hid them well.
Behind the taillight was the one that got me.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A turkey baster ($1 at the Dollar Store), "some" distilled water, a flashlight and a telescoping mirror (<$4 at Harbor Freight) and you can easily fill the battery(ies) to their proper levels... right to the "ring." You'll know when you've hit it, because the water in the ring concaves. No guessing or hoping you've done it right.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg   BatteryRing1.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Great tips Donna. Most new batteries also have cutout slots by the ring that also make it easier to see the water level

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Donna,
I used to think that to the rings was the correct level too, but i have found out that although a hot battery level might be to the rings the proper level is:
The normal fluid level is about 1/2 inch (1 cm) above the tops of the plates or about 1/8 inch (3 mm) below the bottoms of the filler tubes that extend down from the port openings.
Note: you can fill to the bottom of the rings, but it is recommended to keep it below them, the rings are the absolute maximum. I guess I just mean to say it is better to be just below the rings than at or above them, and temperature has a roll to play in this.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bought one of these fillers last year, a waste of $, doesn't work for beans. If you get oe, buy it locally so you can return it if you get the same results.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Bought one of these fillers last year, a waste of $, doesn't work for beans. If you get oe, buy it locally so you can return it if you get the same results.
I think Donna has the right tool (a turkey baster) with a jug of distilled water. It's not like you are filling hundreds of batteries.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Thanks everyone for the great advise, I think I'll go with the turkey baister....and now I know the proper way to do it.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Donna,
I used to think that to the rings was the correct level too, but i have found out that although a hot battery level might be to the rings the proper level is:
The normal fluid level is about 1/2 inch (1 cm) above the tops of the plates or about 1/8 inch (3 mm) below the bottoms of the filler tubes that extend down from the port openings.
Note: you can fill to the bottom of the rings, but it is recommended to keep it below them, the rings are the absolute maximum. I guess I just mean to say it is better to be just below the rings than at or above them, and temperature has a roll to play in this.
I agree with keeping the level just below the bottom of the rings. And, the slots are to keep the internal pressure in each of the cells equal all times. Air can compress, water can't. Bouncing down the road while the partially depleted battery is recharging causes sloshing, heat buildup causes the water to expand and as the battery relieves pressure thru the caps, some of the liquid splashed up onto the internal seal of the caps will leak out along with the excess air/gas. Slightly less water will lead to less outgassing in the cels, less leaking of water and fewer refills of the water. The few less amps the battery will fully charge to will never be missed.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
After much reading on this forum I have decided that I want to remove the batteries before we store our trailer for the winter. Our Escape will be stored in a covered, unheated pole shed and will not be accessible from next week until mid-March at the earliest. In January or February our temps can dip to -20 or -30 (actual – not “feels like”) - sometimes for days at a time. I don’t want to take a chance that somehow (?) the batteries discharge and freeze and I’m willing to lug them to the basement to prevent that. My questions: What do I need to be aware of when storing batteries in the basement? I’ve heard that they need to be up off the floor or they will discharge. How much ventilation do they need? How often should they be re-charged? I’m looking at the “Battery Tender Junior” – will that have enough charging power to keep the batteries “topped up”? And do I need to be concerned with opening a window or something while the batteries are charging?
Attached Thumbnails
batterytenderjr.jpg  
2015 Dodge Durango 3.6L
Posttoasties is offline   Reply With Quote