Batteries not charging - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 65 Airstream Overlander
Batteries not charging

Hi everyone,

I have an 65 Airstream Overlander with a HGP Series Pure Sine Wave solar inverter/Charger and a lithium LiFePO4 battery bank. I'm going to move in a few days to a different State and live in the airstream for a couple of months.

Recently, I've been having some electrical problems. The battery isn't charging. I did some readings with a multimeter and the negative DC terminal in the inverter has a reading of 11,10 volts same as the battery and the positive DC terminal has a reading of 14 volts, the same as the inverter display.

This system is a customized setup (pictures attached). One of the negative wires goes from the inverter to the battery bank and the other connects to the DC fuse panel (top left), both with 11,10 volts. One of the positive wires goes from the inverter to a 200amp circuit breaker (top right) and the other one to the 300amp Cont. Controlled by BMS (yellow plastic cover), both with a reading of 14 volts.

My doubt is if the malfunction is caused by the batteries or inverter/charger. I tested each battery cell with a digital multimeter and it seems that they are not depleted. The HousePower BMS is not working (no light). The inverter/charger is working when it is connected to the grid, with no alarms on the display, just fast checking yellow light. When I turn off the AC input all the system goes off.
I would appreciate your help. I tried every trailer repair shop around here but they don't have any availability.

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Kosta
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210817_162402152.jpg   IMG_20210822_162519405.jpg   IMG_20210817_161953906.jpg  
Kosta Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Try the Airstream forums. Doubt any Escape trailer owner knows much about Airstream trailers.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post

I did some readings with a multimeter and the negative DC terminal in the inverter has a reading of 11,10 volts same as the battery ...

I don't know a thing about any of the specific hardware you mention - but - any negative terminal on any equipment - should read zero volts when referenced to ground (usually ground is the metal frame of the vehicle).

Either something is terribly wrong or you are using the wrong terminology and we are confused at this end.

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote