Battery Box? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
Battery Box?

5.0 Escape....I am wanting to upgrade to some larger, heavier AGM batteries (70 lbs each) that are too big for my the Factory battery box. New dual battery boxes are quite expensive. Is it really necessary to even have a battery box since they are under the seat And AGM? Wouldn’t it be safe enough to just strap them down?
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Please DO install your AGM batteries in a box sealed from your trailer interior (including 'confined' underseat spaces) with proper venting to the exterior of your trailer.

Though AGM batteries do recombine the hydrogen inherently involved in their chemistry most of the time, most are a vented battery and can release explosive hydrogen gas particularly when overcharged, a condition which can overwhelm their ability to recombine and contain the gas within the case (thus the pressure relief vent that most AGM's have). Overcharging can happen despite efforts to avoid.

Note the several references to vents, cautions advising charging in a "well-ventilated space", and avoiding proximity to ignition sources in this Crown AGM Safety Document, for example. Though they may be 'sealed' to preclude liquids release, hydrogen gas is another thing entirely.

Its the "safe enough" thing to do, IMO, just for your consideration.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Most AGM battery manufacturers produce at least one model based on the GC2 format. Though not a rigid standard, the dual battery box that comes with Escape is a GC2. Is it worth while to look for a GC2 battery and eliminate the need to replace the box?

The Crown AGM that I have fit fine as a replacement.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Most AGM battery manufacturers produce at least one model based on the GC2 format. Though not a rigid standard, the dual battery box that comes with Escape is a GC2. Is it worth while to look for a GC2 battery and eliminate the need to replace the box?

The Crown AGM that I have fit fine as a replacement.
Yes but I found a great local deal on some 12 v batteries I was looking to put in
Old 06-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #5

BTW when removing my current 12 v batteries I found a 2 inch attachment to my cable with a 200a label. Is this some sort of battery fuse or just a cable extension or what?

Do I need it whether I go with 12v or 6v or is it not necessary?
Old 06-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
BTW when removing my current 12 v batteries I found a 2 inch attachment to my cable with a 200a label. Is this some sort of battery fuse or just a cable extension or what?

Can't be certain without a pic but that sounds like a fuseholder/fuse, which would hopefully be rated to protect the cable from the battery (not the battery itself). If indeed that's what it is it should remain in place no matter what battery is used.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post

If labeled device (probably a fuse) goes from the battery to an inverter, yes, you will still need it, assuming that you are planning to keep the inverter.

Most Escapes have a 40 - 60 amp fuse protecting the wiring between the battery & the converter, however if you have 2 12V batteries, that is not an Escape option, so it is likely someone has rewired things.