Battery box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Battery box

On my trip this summer the battery box broke loose and I had to do an emergency repair to secure it. I used screws in the corners and sealed them. It was temporary and sure a bit of acid leaked. Not too much of a mess but the battery box is junk now. Today as I知 working on an inverter, I decided to order a new one and take the old one out. What I discovered was not a very well though out install to keep the battery box secured. It seems during the manufacture they screw through the plywood floor into the corners of the battery box. Some of these screw were corroded and sheared off making the box shift under the weight. This means it痴 impossible to reinstall a box using the same method. I値l get my new marine grade box tomorrow and figure out a secure mounting method. Escape should have constructed a tie down with straps. An easy design change . The method of sealing the box is pretty Mickey Mouse also. Anybody with a new build notice any change of 21c battery box ? Does it still have a piece of wood and wing nuts to secure it ?

I知 not quite ready to move to lithium so I知 replacing it .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the method used in my past 4 Escapes, all worked fine.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is the method used in my past 4 Escapes, all worked fine.
It works, I agree, the bigger issues was the box breaking loose from the screw mounts. I値l see what I can come up with .
Old 09-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When I switched to lithium batteries, I screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood the size of the 3 batteries footprint with straps underneath. I added 1" X1" by 1/16" aluminum angle on top of the plywood to anchor the bottom of the batteries, and ran the straps over the tops to hold them down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1878.jpg  
Old 09-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I switched to lithium batteries, I screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood the size of the 3 batteries footprint with straps underneath. I added 1" X1" by 1/16" aluminum angle on top of the plywood to anchor the bottom of the batteries, and ran the straps over the tops to hold them down.
Kind of what I’m thinking . Thanks . Really nice looking install.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
On our Bluewater sailboat we held down our 4-6volt batteries with wingnuts, threaded rod, and wood. Worked well for 18 years, 20,000 nautical miles, 50 knot winds, and 20 ft tall breaking seas, including one knock down. On our 2018 E19 we feel the battery hold down system works well for lead acid batteries.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
On our Bluewater sailboat we held down our 4-6volt batteries with wingnuts, threaded rod, and wood. Worked well for 18 years, 20,000 nautical miles, 50 knot winds, and 20 ft tall breaking seas, including one knock down. On our 2018 E19 we feel the battery hold down system works well for lead acid batteries.
Not as concerned about the rod as the under box mounting that failed. Impossible to service as the screws corroded and sheared off. I知 going to work with my machine shop to fashion a serviceable method to secure the battery box itself. If the threaded rods hooked to the floor it would have helped the box from moving and stressing the screws that had minimal penetration to the perimeter of the battery box. Clearly the assembly was attached to the floor plywood before it was screwed down. You simply cannot replace the box by the method it was mounted. I may remount the threaded rod on the new box, which is a moeller designed for two gc2 batteries. There will be some sealing and the hole drilled for the exhaust hose, which was riveted and secured with pro flex, a drill and heat gun made that come off easily. This happened after 4 years and a lot of miles on the trailer.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I switched to lithium batteries,
Still envious when I see that nice set of lithium batteries. Not quite as envious as I used to be though because at least I have one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
, including one knock down.
Only one, you must reduce sail area faster than I do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
OK got to chirp in here with my Lithium battery box. Has a lid and a thin wrap of insulation since it is in the tongue box.
Attached Thumbnails
Lithiumbox.jpg  
Old 09-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
OK got to chirp in here with my Lithium battery box. Has a lid and a thin wrap of insulation since it is in the tongue box.
It's your fault that I had to buy a lithium battery. I figured what the heck, if Myron's got one, I have to have one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote